1 2 3 4
Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/7/15 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Joe --

That's really funny, because as far as I've ever experienced, that kind of man claims that kind of woman is attracted to "hot" cars, but I've never seen it happen. There are actual car women who are truly interested in cars like car guys are interested in cars. But hot trendy chicks caring about hot trendy cars? Not really - they only pretended to, because that's what the allegedly hot trendy guys cared about for a brief decade. Kind of a self-fulfilling but unsustainable prophecy.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
4/7/15 6:13 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Huh. Making friends again?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/7/15 6:22 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I won't comment on the movie, as I haven't seen it. One thing that I've always found strange with the FF franchise and the car culture that it was inspired by, and helped to create is this: When I go to drag race, circle track event, hot-rod show, autocross, road race or track event I find "car people" who are immediately friendly, and eager to talk about cars / modifications / racing. I never feel out of place, and everyone seems to be there for the love of the hobby, and the cars. When I attended my first NOPI event in 2002 I encountered a very different crowd. Instead of being welcoming, the attendees were fronting attitudes and acting like wanna-be badasses. Instead of guys laughing and talking cars, there was a whole lot of posing going on....and guys leaning against their cars with crossed arms hoping to look tough. (although the idea of looking tough while leaning on an atomic green Civic with a giant wing was comical--- they didn't seem to get the joke) Then it hit me........these shows weren't about the cars at all.....it was about the women. Women were attracted to this scene. It became "hip" and tons of wannabes threw bodykits on their cars in hopes of attracting women. This is why the guys weren't friendly like at other "car" events. The guys at the NOPI show were competing for the girls. Now this isn't the case with all of them---as I'd guess 10-15% of that group were genuine car people. But for most.....it was more about putting on a "tough" attitude and letting the ladies see how "cool" you were. I see the F&F franchise as feeding that mindset, and being born from it. That's why the movies repel me. Anyways---- I hope you guys enjoy the new movie. Not sure if anyone else has encountered the same thing as me...but figured I'd share my smugness!

This is pretty much me. Turned completely off by the body kit/wing/fartcan crowd.

But that Jensen Interceptor from 6... holy cow. I love that car. Lose the sidepipes and that's pretty much how I would build it.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/7/15 7:00 p.m.

Along those lines...does this really have any appeal to any car buyer anywhere???

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/7/15 7:16 p.m.

I like pie.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/7/15 8:06 p.m.

I saw FF7 last night and liked it. Realistic? Hell no, but damn fun and very difficult to watch at the very end with the Paul Walker clip show.

Fast and Furious is like fast food, not exactly good for you but the cheese is very satisfying at times. Not every car centric movie can be a gourmet meal like Ronin.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/8/15 8:12 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Along those lines...does this really have any appeal to any car buyer anywhere???

No, cars and girls have never, ever, in the history of cars and girls, gone together, and girls have never been used as objects of beauty to make cars look better to guys.

FWIW, I agree with SyntheticBlinkerFluid and Keith Tanner here.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 8:16 a.m.

TVR used to have completely nude models laying on their cars at car shows. Hard to believe, but there are pics on the net showing it. Its unclear if that was to accentuate the cars or make people not notice the terrible build quality of them. Obviously, I'm not going to post those pics here.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/8/15 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

I like to look at pretty women. I like to look at cars. I have never liked auto shows or other events where pretty women are draped all over cars. To me, the sum is less than the total of the parts. It just holds no appeal to me. I understand what you're saying though.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
4/8/15 9:57 a.m.

Amusingly, SWMBO and one of her friends went to see FF7 (took me a few seconds to parse that though when I first saw the thread title since I'm a reasonably old gamer...) while I was gone over the weekend. Neither she nor her friend are really into cars (especially not the friend, SWMBO at least appreciates a nice car) but really like Vin Diesel, so have seen all of the movies. I've only ever seen Tokyo Drift and parts of some of the others, but have never gotten into them that much.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/15 10:34 a.m.

Arguing over whether a movie like this is "good" is like arguing over whether a type of music is "good".

Here's a concept: different people look for, and get, different things out of movies and music.

If someone wants to say a 68 Charger can do something based on what they saw in FF7... THEN you have an argument.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 10:54 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I agree. So why is it that in the case of this thread only positive comments are welcome?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/8/15 11:03 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Arguing over whether a movie like this is "good" is like arguing over whether a type of music is "good". Here's a concept: different people look for, and get, different things out of movies and music.

Which is fine and dandy. It's when people that dislike a genre of music or movies come in a conversation about liking it and say that genre is crap, and act all superior for not liking it, then you ALSO have an argument, as it's intended as an indictment of those who DO like said genre. The "I'm better than you because I've never seen it (or listened to it)" attitude that comes across. The hipsterish "if it's popular it's garbage" attitude seeps into it, as well. And a little bit of the "I hated asparagus when I was 5 and so I haven't had them since."

There is a difference between "it's not for me" and "I can't understand why others like it."

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/8/15 11:04 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to aircooled: I agree. So why is it that in the case of this thread only positive comments are welcome?

There's critique of a genre, and there's acting superior for not liking it/not seeing it. If you can't see the difference, youre an ass, plain and simple. And why is that a valuable goal?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/8/15 11:33 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to aircooled: I agree. So why is it that in the case of this thread only positive comments are welcome?
There's critique of a genre, and there's acting superior for not liking it/not seeing it. If you can't see the difference, youre an ass, plain and simple. And why is that a valuable goal?

QFT!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/8/15 11:44 a.m.

Instead of pissing all over the thread for two pages why not leave it alone and let people who have watched the movie and have something to say about it post up? Instead you turn the thread into a collosal E36 M3 pile and make it so no one wants to wade through the crap.

We get it you don't like the movies. Some of us do. We don't take them seriously we watch them for the fun of it and to check out some cool cars.

If you don't have anything constructive to say GTFO.

At this point if the thread dies or gets locked I don't give a crap. It is more bickering and infantile BS than it is about the movie or cars.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 11:47 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:

Thanks. I should take advice from somebody acting like a child. I'll take that into consideration. And I'll ignore your name calling to ask you a question. Can you give me an example of this superior attitude you are talking about, because I'm missing it? Not because I'm an ass, but because maybe I'm just interpreting things differently than you. Notice how its possible to say that without name calling?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 11:49 a.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

Exactly who is pissing all over the thread? I read a few posts where people said they didn't like the movie or the franchise. I've not given my opinion at all, except to agree with Joe. So maybe you can be a little more specific, because its sounds like you're pissing all over those who didn't like the movie.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 11:56 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:

BTW, has it occurred to you that in the quote above you are acting superior to me because in your opinion I can't see the difference?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/8/15 12:17 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

This thread had zero to do with what you think of the franchise. It was simply to see what those people that actually SAW the movie thought about it and the cars. I couldnt care less about your opinion of something that you have not seen. I might think a Miata is tiny crappy import that is mostly driven by hair dressers and gay men. Do I go into a Miata thread and state that? No I do not. If someone is asking for first hand experience on a specific subject do I offer my opinion without having that experience? No I do not. I leave the thread be so those that do have the experience can voice their opinion without things turning into a cluster berkeley. So yeah I might be pissing on those in this thread that said they don't like the franchise. TheIt isn't even so much about those that posted once they don't like the franchise it is the constant bickering you are doing about the subject. thread was not about that it was about this specific movie and those that have spent the time to go see it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/8/15 12:33 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

First, I didn't have any opinion about the franchise. I didn't have a strong opinion about the movie one way or another. I mainly defended those who did against the attacks from all the fans of the movie that are apparently really sensitive creatures.
Second, I re-read this entire thread. I started to mark down how many liked it, how many didn't, and how many didn't see it, but then all the bickering came into and I decided to stop. But one thing that stood out to me was that the people that jump on those that had some negative comment were notably rude by comparison. How can anyone expect to post something on an internet forum and be shocked when there are differing opinions? And of those, I saw exactly one that I would consider smug or made with an air of superiority. In contrast most of the comments against the people who had less than a positive opinion of the movie definitely had an almost unanimous attitude of superiority. Don't call the kettle black unless you are a chrome pot.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/8/15 1:32 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I'm the platinum plated pot......berkeley all y'all.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
4/8/15 1:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

It's all about you at this point, I'm out.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
4/8/15 2:04 p.m.

Still proud of this thread? http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/do-i-annoy-you/96611/page1/

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/8/15 2:17 p.m.

well alrighty then.

I saw it last night (hate opening weekend crowds) it was ok.

In regards to the franchise, I've seen every single one of them and am a fan. The first movie was so cheesy it was good, the second was terrible on every level, the third redeemed the series and all the ones that came after were good (we're talking action/car movie good here ok?)

This latest one, is my second least favorite- not as awful as the second one, but I saw it as an action flick with more cool cars than a regular action flick, but not really a car flick. I avoided previews and spoilers and was really looking forward to it, but it sorta fell flat to me and reusing so much footage and music gave it a clip show vibe. It felt like they decided to change the story of the movie (as well as make it a tribute to Paul) in post and didn't execute very well.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OuLsTurEHnYZYObhRYZKd14vFYRdWaRguXxr2Mi72xxYcsFXzhMr0ImY7nOEq31r