1 2 3 4
slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/7/20 11:30 a.m.

Flower box to pretty up the neighborhood?

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW Reader
10/7/20 11:31 a.m.

Place a concrete pylon right inside your corner pin and reclaim your land.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 11:50 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

this guy is probably right..  it's probably a right of way.. and you'll  lose this..  I'd just fill those holes with some gravel and be ok..

You took my answer. Gravel and roundup the rocks to street. Add gravel every couple of years. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/7/20 1:19 p.m.
wae said:

I am a "pick-your-battles pragmatist" so my vote would be to pour a little concrete and get some paint and just do this:

It looks better than mud, is actually designed for just this occasion, and is a subtle way to show off your competitive automotive proclivities.

Just so long as Paul Radisich isn't your neighbor.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 1:28 p.m.

I would not fight over the grass outside the big rocks, but I would move the big rocks closer to the road.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
10/7/20 1:52 p.m.

I'm left wondering why people try to have a beautiful lawn in the first place. Unless you're using native grasses, zero pesticides and the like, it's awful for the environment.

As others have said, I'd learn exactly where your property line is, what rights the municipality has in regards to right of way and the like. Those answers are going to determine what you can do and where you can put the rocks.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/7/20 4:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

I'm left wondering why people try to have a beautiful lawn in the first place. Unless you're using native grasses, zero pesticides and the like, it's awful for the environment.

As others have said, I'd learn exactly where your property line is, what rights the municipality has in regards to right of way and the like. Those answers are going to determine what you can do and where you can put the rocks.

Humans, in general, are awful for the environment. devil 

D2W
D2W Dork
10/7/20 4:05 p.m.

As others have said find out where your property (that you can build/put stuff on starts.), and then move your rocks to that. Gravel beyond and be happy. 

I live on a semi country road. Two lane blacktop, no shoulder. The county has a right of way that is 15'-20' from the center of the road that I can't do anything on. So it is gravel until the point it can be built on, and then I have a fence. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Americans, more specifically. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things?

Genius!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/7/20 4:58 p.m.

Status, of course.  Long long ago it used to be that only the royalty and extremely well off could afford to have land that didn't have crops growing on them not to mention the manpower to maintain that land in a state of beauty.  That link, sadly, has persisted and you look like a dirtbag to your neighbors and your property is worth less if you have a crappy lawn.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/7/20 5:03 p.m.
wae said:

I am a "pick-your-battles pragmatist" so my vote would be to pour a little concrete and get some paint and just do this:

It looks better than mud, is actually designed for just this occasion, and is a subtle way to show off your competitive automotive proclivities.

I was going to suggest the same, and have a corner of my driveway that guests can't seem to manage which will be getting the same treatment. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/7/20 5:47 p.m.

I worked for a builder and people would drive across the lawns on three of his model homes.  Giant lawn jobs.  

The owner told me to get a 2x8, paint it green, drive a bunch of nails though it and when I left I should turn the nails up and back in the morning. 

Yeah, I passed on that idea.  

z31maniac said:

Humans, in general, are awful for the environment. devil 

Are they not just another part of the environment? 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/7/20 6:28 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Yes, like having kudzu growing on the roof of your house would be. 

That said, I'd rather have a weed lawn and have lizards and insects living in it than a perfectly green and uniform bermuda (or whatever) grass lawn. I'm not about to tell somebody else what to do with *THEIR* lawn, but the desire to have a perfect lawn literally makes no sense to me. In fact, my long term plan is to have as little "lawn" grass in my yard as I can. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/7/20 6:32 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Yes, like having kudzu growing on the roof of your house would be. 

That said, I'd rather have a weed lawn and have lizards and insects living in it than a perfectly green and uniform bermuda (or whatever) grass lawn. I'm not about to tell somebody else what to do with *THEIR* lawn, but the desire to have a perfect lawn literally makes no sense to me. In fact, my long term plan is to have as little "lawn" grass in my yard as I can. 

For a lot of people it mostly has to do with curb appeal for when they sell.

Out of curiosity, how else do you cover the ground around your house (in NC) without it becoming a giant mosquito breeding ground, mudpit, etc?  The only other solutions I know of just shift the burden from mowing to mulching, or pressure washing, weeding, etc.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/7/20 6:57 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:
wae said:

Just so long as Paul Radisich isn't your neighbor.

You need a signboard after the corner that says "Time deleted".

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/7/20 7:02 p.m.

I didn't read the whole thing only the first post. I still think a trash can full of concrete is the answer. I'd do it. Dumb enough to hit a decoration I've placed on my lawn within my property lines? Sucks to be you. Reimburse me for my concrete sculpture. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
10/7/20 7:13 p.m.

Along the lines of Curtis's suggestion, maybe something less likely to cause catastrophic  injury?  My wife has a few of these in the yard.  It's called a Helmond's Pillar Barberry.  It grows relatively straight up, is reasonably hardy and has massive thorns on it.  Anyone who drives too close to it won't do it twice if they value their paint job.  No one will try removing it, at least not more than once.  Of course, if you ever need to remove it, may God have mercy on your soul.  

Helmond Pillar Barberry Shrubs For Sale | The Tree Center

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/7/20 7:58 p.m.

I have a nice place. Letting it go to weeds for the environment is not in the cards. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
10/7/20 7:58 p.m.

Do a Google  image search for Omaha Rock.  There is a shopping center that has an island or peninsula with concrete curbing around it.  People kept driving over it so the owner put a big rock on it.  The rock apparently disappears at times and then pops right back up..

There has to be at least one Mustang.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
10/7/20 8:23 p.m.

How about a metal u post with a reflector on it for "safety"? That helps with paint jobs also....

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/7/20 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

Well that is effective. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/7/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

There are a lot of options.  I'd prefer to use native ones, but that page has ideas that illustrate what I mean.

To clarify: I'm not opposed to having low cut plants around your house. I'm speaking of a perfectly manicured square of a single species of plant (eg: Bermuda grass), which often requires irrigation, chemical treatments and the like.

The long term plan is to keep going with raised beds of herbs, shrubs, patio blocks, the plants listed in the link above, violets, clover and whatever else decides to grow. 

I fully realize my idea of what's "nice" isn't exactly mainstream, but it does let me get a good belly laugh whenever those Fairway Green Lawn people  (and their competitors) try to sell me something.

If I sell, it'll be with the neighbors on my street as a collective- 8 acres as a parcel is ripe for rezoning, so curb appeal probably won't matter. I mean, it wouldn't matter in a single house sale- I have half an acre with a small house on it, so anybody buying it will probably be planning a teardown and new construction, given what's happening in the neighborhoods around me.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/7/20 8:48 p.m.
Scott_H said:

Do a Google  image search for Omaha Rock.  There is a shopping center that has an island or peninsula with concrete curbing around it.  People kept driving over it so the owner put a big rock on it.  The rock apparently disappears at times and then pops right back up..

This just made my day.  Thank you.

OP:  Do this, and maybe turn it into a Youtube channel or Instagram and make some money off it? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mjgEfdo89YBL58A5pY9hJWmqD2RDwIzyUEROrLggty11Z5wAXB7M4kaM66geXjFM