2 3 4
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/7/20 8:52 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

There are a lot of options.   To clarify: I'm not opposed to having low cut plants around your house. I'm speaking of a perfectly manicured square of a single species of plant (eg: Bermuda grass), which often requires irrigation, chemical treatments and the like.

Well, you can certainly get grass like that without irrigation or harmful chemicals.  Probably the best thing to do (in the south) is just plany Zoysia and let it kill all the weeds/choke out everything.  Takes time though.

From my understanding groundcover is a mosquito heaven, so I wouldn't consider that an option.  It results in me putting more harmful chemicals on myself , or spraying them on the ground cover anyway.

Rons
Rons Reader
10/7/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I assume you live within the city limits of Aggasiz and you should contact city engineering with this obvious safety concern. Pedestrians are obviously at risk from vehicles diverting from the roadway and the township a should rework the corner to enhance pedestrian safety. Remember in your e mail it's not about you - it's all about pedestrian safety.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
10/7/20 8:59 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

From my understanding groundcover is a mosquito heaven, so I wouldn't consider that an option.  It results in me putting more harmful chemicals on myself , or spraying them on the ground cover anyway.

The swamp and woods already provide that service. /shrug

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/7/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

Well my concern is that the cure will be even worse than the ruts. There is a property with exactly my problem not far from me and the city planted three large permanent 3 foot tall orange markers round the corner. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
10/7/20 9:55 p.m.

That's why the tall plants would be the best solution. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/7/20 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Tall plants are out as maximum height to thirty feet from my corner is three feet.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
10/7/20 10:05 p.m.

I'd say go back to page 1. Anything after that sort of fell off the cliff.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/7/20 10:18 p.m.

Someone probably spilled a box of these out the back of their truck as they bumped around the corner and dumped a load of these, happens all the time*. Few of them sunk into the mud. Along with some glass shards.

*Based on personal experience of following a truck that dumped a large box of these on the freeway during rush hour in Toronto. berkeleying things work.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/7/20 10:42 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things?

That's beautiful man.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/7/20 11:27 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Tall plants are out as maximum height to thirty feet from my corner is three feet.

Blackberries.

They're native here so you can say they grew wild and a thicket of blackberries can swallow a Mack truck and grow back to hide the evidence overnight.

iansane
iansane Reader
10/8/20 9:51 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Along the lines of Curtis's suggestion, maybe something less likely to cause catastrophic  injury?  My wife has a few of these in the yard.  It's called a Helmond's Pillar Barberry.  It grows relatively straight up, is reasonably hardy and has massive thorns on it.  Anyone who drives too close to it won't do it twice if they value their paint job.  No one will try removing it, at least not more than once.  Of course, if you ever need to remove it, may God have mercy on your soul.  

Helmond Pillar Barberry Shrubs For Sale | The Tree Center

These things are berkeleying brutal. If a metalhead designed a plant.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
10/8/20 10:22 a.m.

Try leaving a note, explaining where you’re coming from. When you write it do so politely and assume only the best intentions. Place it in plastic or something. 

Who knows? Some people may just not have considered your point of view. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/20 10:30 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Three feet is enough to stop someone driving into it.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/8/20 3:40 p.m.

Just put a turtle in the corner like they have at COTA or the charlotte ROVAL. Paint it a neutral color and put reflector strips on it. 

Problem will be solved soon enough. If it's a mustang that drives over it at speed it'll launch it on 2 wheels easy but not bad enough to flip it. Just a code brown moment. 

thedoc
thedoc Reader
10/10/20 11:38 a.m.

Sorry, I just had to throw in this:  We have a neighbor at the entrance to our street, with a similar problem you have.  He has tried planting trees and has put up a nice, decorative stone bench.  It seems to be off and on with people tearing up the outside of his grass.  My wife was speaking to him about his frustration with the property.  We have quite a few bad older and younger drivers in our 'hood that take that turn wide, from both sides.  I mean as it so wide you have to be careful because they will hit  you from the other side.

The one of two take aways here:  He told my wife he was worried that the damaged lawn would continue to fill with water.  He told her he was worried that the mosquitos would breed in the water and someone in the neighborhood would catch malaria.  I live in Maine.

Second take away:  Put a sign up about a malaria breeding ground.  If this guy believes it, maybe your peeps would as well and stop damaging the grass!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/22/20 2:31 p.m.

I guess I lost that battle. Somewhere close to me there is a brodozer sitting on the front lawn of a rundown house with a guy in the house talking about how he showed me who is the boss.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
10/22/20 2:36 p.m.

Dig that hole. Fill it with water. If it's a typical under built and lifted bro-dozer, it will knock the entire front suspension out from under it. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
10/22/20 2:38 p.m.

I'm sorry for the bad driver issues but that view has to make up for some of it.   That's amazing!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/22/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

It is! I have mountains out every window.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/22/20 3:03 p.m.

That's a pic of the sunny side of town.

Drive a few more miles and you're in the rainiest place on earth.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
10/22/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

We get our share. Thinking about moving to Creston actually

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/22/20 5:44 p.m.

Wife unit and I drove through Grand Forks this summer and have been thinking about how nice it was.

I've got the golden handcuffs keeping me here though. I can't afford to get paid for fixing old, obscure stuff by farmers. Jam and eggs doesn't make the bank very happy.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/22/20 6:21 p.m.

That is certainly a beautiful view. I'd suggest a nice load of decorative glass shards carefully arranged around the corner would look spectacular. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
10/22/20 6:45 p.m.

Go to the junkyard, get a bumper and a wheel. Toss it into the hole for a week

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zWRGVs17ZgEiNCBjcJj3BHO9XQnk7Vv9l11RSjJUZWRY3aIQQ0S3rpznAD1vQemr