1 2 3
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/31/19 8:32 p.m.

So, I've had an itch lately. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of freestyle bmx, and so on. It makes me think. I was absolutely horrendous at it, but I enjoyed my old Dyno. I've joined a few collector groups on facebook and I do follow bmxmuseum occasionally. I keep thinking to myself, I'd like to own a new/modern bike. FBM, subrosa, modern geometry haro freestyle, who knows. Now the real question. I am nearly 40. I have broken my feet a total of 4, possibly 5 times. (Dropped a crowbar on my foot recently, felt like my last break. IDK. Doc said the last time it was just gonna be broken, and I'm figuring this to be the case again.}. I am not in the best shape. What sort of danger am I in by purchasing myself a bmx of some fashion and screwing around with it? Should I focus on safer pursuits, maybe a nice meth habit? What sayeth the hive? 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/31/19 8:38 p.m.

Do it. I go through the same thoughts with skateboarding. Know your limits, ride within your abilities. It’s more fun with friends. Check out a local skatepark. Most folks are friendly and willing to play around and share spots and tips. But seriously. Do it.

Wear a helmet. Listen to your body. I’m 30, have a very bad knee, and fragile wrists, not to mention the extra weight to contend with if I fall. So I ride differently than I did ten or fifteen years ago. Still fun  

Do it. Get creative. Have fun. 

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
5/31/19 8:45 p.m.

You sound like me a few months ago.  I was a youngster in the 80s and had a store bought Team Murray bmx.  YouTube feed my nostalgia with 80s freestyle and racing vids.  So I bought a Redline Pl-26 cruiser in April to feel like a kid again.  I quickly realized I'm almost 41 now and not 10  However, I just mess around and also ride with my 6 year old nephew and it's getting easier.  I think my stomach and  side handles are getting firmer from riding.  Just know your limitations.  I'm still scared of riding around parts of my town because of neighbors dogs.  I don't want to get chased down on a bmxbike with no gears.  I'm too old for that...lol.  Yes... I'm wanting a pad set now and a Stu Thomsen poster.  80s rule!  Go for it. Goonies never say die!

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
5/31/19 9:21 p.m.

One of my FB friends has me jonesing for a Honda Trail 70, so it would hypocritical of me to say a BMX is stupid.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/19 9:31 p.m.

Of course do it. You don't have to go crazy with it. 

For the last four years my "daily" has been a 22-inch-wheel S&M ATF--totally love it. I also need to start riding my retro Skyway T/A. It looks like one from the '80s but features modern geometry--and, of course, Graphite Tuffs. And there are more bikes here as well. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:32 p.m.

Here's the T/A:

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:36 p.m.

Did someone mention Stu Thomsen?

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:38 p.m.

I'm still looking for a photo of my S&M, but here's my DK ProXL:

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:39 p.m.

And here we are hanging out with Mat Hoffman:

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:41 p.m.

Here's the S&M. Totally love this bike. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:43 p.m.

And here's another FB Group to check out. A few weeks ago we hosted an event at our local park--fun stuff and a few pro friends came out. Plus free pizza. We'll do them again. 

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
5/31/19 9:43 p.m.

Monumentally stupid!  Especially if you don't do it!!  I've been riding racing Bmx most of my life.  I'm now 47.  Picked up a used diamondback 24" cruiser of c-list a few years ago for not much $$.  I don't feel right on 20" bmx's anymore.  But love the way my cruiser feels.  After riding for a while and doing some jumps, wheelies, and endo's, I need to remind myself I'm old and not to get to crazy.  Its to much fun, STILL!  If your on the book of faces search out if you have a Bmx group near you.  In Pittsburgh we have a very active "4130 old school bmx" group.  Monthly rides with many old racers and friends.  Do it asap.  You aren't getting younger! 

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
5/31/19 9:45 p.m.

David wins again!  Stomping Stu, Condor, and Chelsea!!! What a great time that had to be.  Was that at spring fling or ???

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/31/19 9:48 p.m.

David is localish too. Daytona is only about an hour and a half.  I keep thinking about it.i could get down with some peg tricks again. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:49 p.m.

I used to ride cruiser--a Cyclecraft and then a Floval Flyer (of course with Graphites)--but the 22 totally won me over. 

The cool thing is that there is no wrong answer: retro 20, modern 20, 22, retro 24, modern 24, 26, 29, etc.

You know, someone should write about these things. smiley

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:52 p.m.

I will add that the right bike makes a huge difference. Find the one that works for you. My DK is now 20 years old, and even though it's an XL it feels tight. The top tube is only like 19.5 inches long. The Skyway is longer and feels so much better. I recently tried someone's 26 or 29, and it felt so incredibly big on me. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:55 p.m.
Mndsm said:

David is localish too. Daytona is only about an hour and a half.  I keep thinking about it.i could get down with some peg tricks again. 

Florida has a huge scene: lots of pros, our own skatepark series, pump tracks, a big race scene, several suppliers, old school shows/get-togethers, etc. Two weeks ago was the big one in St. Pete. Also, in Orlando, check out Chad DeGroot's shop: Mrbikesnboards. Chad co-hosted my recent event, and we want to do more. The premise is simple: hang out and ride. 

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 9:57 p.m.
paulmpetrun said:

David wins again!  Stomping Stu, Condor, and Chelsea!!! What a great time that had to be.  Was that at spring fling or ???

Yep, that was a Spring Fling--very good times. (Actually, those might not have been from the same one, now that I think about it.)

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
5/31/19 9:59 p.m.

I don't have a bmx bike (only an 80s 10 speed, centurion), but last night I rode it for the first time in a long time without my trailer and two kids on the back.

It was mega fun. Check out how fast I am! Yes I can hop that curb! Stoppie when arriving at the bar? Ehhhh, not tonight. Haha.

Anyway, I found myself taking a shortcut that wouldn't work in a car, and at the back of the parking lot there was a small gap between two bushes. I'd have to go up a curb as well, and the gap was only about shoulder width. But on the other side was an alley that would take me straight to my destination. So I attacked.

But then, I got cold feet. The other side of the bushes was a side street that I would have to cross before I'd be in my alley. Cars are really rare there, but possible. And I couldn't see the side street at all (bushes were thick and about 8 ft tall). 

So I over-slowed, got to the curb, and then didn't have enough speed to shoot through the gap. So I hit the curb, started leaning (but couldn't turn to correct because bush), put a foot down, pushed through, and generally  looked like a doofus on my 10 speed. Oh well, it was fun as E36 M3!

Get a bike. Ride it. You'll feel like a kid again.

David S. Wallens
5/31/19 10:00 p.m.
Robbie said:

Get a bike. Ride it. You'll feel like a kid again.

Totally. It's the freedom. Or something.

Anyway, I could talk about this stuff all evening. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
5/31/19 11:11 p.m.

I'm 60 with many previously broken parts and ride regularly, do it.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/1/19 5:33 a.m.
Mndsm said:

So, I've had an itch lately. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of freestyle bmx, and so on. It makes me think. I was absolutely horrendous at it, but I enjoyed my old Dyno. I've joined a few collector groups on facebook and I do follow bmxmuseum occasionally. I keep thinking to myself, I'd like to own a new/modern bike. FBM, subrosa, modern geometry haro freestyle, who knows. Now the real question. I am nearly 40. I have broken my feet a total of 4, possibly 5 times. (Dropped a crowbar on my foot recently, felt like my last break. IDK. Doc said the last time it was just gonna be broken, and I'm figuring this to be the case again.}. I am not in the best shape. What sort of danger am I in by purchasing myself a bmx of some fashion and screwing around with it? Should I focus on safer pursuits, maybe a nice meth habit? What sayeth the hive? 

I still miss the feeling of hopping around on a BMX and a nice small mountain bike.  I did buy another bike a while ago, rode it twice, bought a bunch of upgrade parts for it, and sort of forgot about it.  Mostly because my brain still can but my body say "no".

I think the largest danger is going to be to your wallet.  Look up how much a nice Pro Performer or Dyno goes for nowadays.  I mentioned this to my employer in passing last month and he didn't believe me, so I went to eBay and pulled up all sorts of vintage BMX gear at way over Challenge money.

The $10k bikes aren't listed anymore, not sure if that means they were sold at that price or just taken down...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/1/19 6:05 a.m.

Do it. Wear safety gear (at least a helmet, probably gloves?) You'll fall down. You'll get tired. You'll get sore. You'll get in better shape. You'll go asleep at night dreaming of tricks instead of bills. It's worth it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/1/19 6:59 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Oh I know. I found my exact old compe online yesterday.  It would take 500$ to get it to me, and it would still be old, fragile, and heavy. I'd buy a modern one, with big bars and stuff, for about the same price and it would be way more durable and rideable. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/1/19 9:28 a.m.

I got back on my mountain bike three years ago.

The old guy can still teach the punk kids a thing or two.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GMdBNMPKRniGWI5f0orIyheYtZtosN4KmMtCVo3i56KWTDUJUEqPEjnd2aTBTchJ