1 2
wherethefmi
wherethefmi Reader
3/23/09 2:36 p.m.

It feel's like that every other day (sometimes more than a few times a day) I want something else as a car. Will I ever find sanity, and no Miata is not my answer (I DONT fit)

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/23/09 2:41 p.m.

No, you will never find sanity.

And, in this case, the answer is multiple Miatas.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
3/23/09 2:44 p.m.

Eh, I can't lead you towards the light...and I don't suppose there are alot of people here that can.

As far as afflictions go vehicularitis is, somewhat, tame in comparison.

alex
alex Reader
3/23/09 2:44 p.m.

You're at the closest thing to a support group here. Unfortunately, we're all terrible enablers, too.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way about cars (latest obessions: American V8 wagons, traditional hot rods and vintage cruisers, vintage Japanese wagons and sports cars, MGB GTs...) as I am about motorcycles, guitars and related gear, vintage stereo equipment, and buildings I'm looking at to live in. Not to mention what I want to be when I grow up.

So, yeah. You're not alone.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Reader
3/23/09 2:47 p.m.

Well I've gotten better a little, I no longer peruse CL daily, though last night I was looking at El Caminos after reading a thread on this site...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
3/23/09 2:51 p.m.

My collection is at three currently all in a two car garage,and I still look at other cars.

I love 70's vintage japanese cars especially of the rotary variety.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/23/09 3:06 p.m.
alex wrote: You're at the closest thing to a support group here. Unfortunately, we're all terrible enablers, too. If it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way about cars (latest obessions: American V8 wagons, traditional hot rods and vintage cruisers, vintage Japanese wagons and sports cars, MGB GTs...) as I am about motorcycles, guitars and related gear, vintage stereo equipment, and buildings I'm looking at to live in. Not to mention what I want to be when I grow up. So, yeah. You're not alone.

Brother!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/23/09 3:12 p.m.

Actually, I seriously thought about it the other day and figured that...just maybe...if someone were asked to look at my automotive habits, I might be diagnosed with some sort of real life disorder. (I'm not up on what ADHD entails, but I'm thinking something along those lines).

Two rear drive corrolas, old F350, Old Z28, Runabout boat, 2 canoes, several back 40 cars, motorcycle, moped, project house...the list goes on.

Clem

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Reader
3/23/09 3:18 p.m.

I'm only sure of one car I never want to own again, DAMN SHOs, and I have ADHD and actually I'm quite orginzized .

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/23/09 3:40 p.m.

I'm up to 17 cars and 5 motorcycles (and enough parts to build 2 more) right now. I vowed to not get any more until I thin the herd out a bit, and just as I did that I ran into a really nice '02 Saab 9-5 that needs a timing chain and probably a head rebuild super cheap. I know I could fix it in a weekend and probably make $2k on it. Anyone want to buy a junk car or two! I want this freakin' Saab!

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/23/09 3:47 p.m.

I have NEVER experienced such an emotion.

WilD
WilD Reader
3/23/09 4:12 p.m.

If I had the space, I'd bring something different home whenever I could. I think I want it all.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky New Reader
3/23/09 4:14 p.m.

My wife wants something nicer than her Camaro, but I pretty much get to decide, as I'm the one that has to work on it. I haven't gone a whole week looking into the same car. Everything from Jeeps to Honda Fits, I've looked at. The only think that's kept me from buying is the car selling before I had the cash.

WilD
WilD Reader
3/23/09 4:17 p.m.

The only thing that keeps me from buying is that my garage is already full and my wife parks outside. I just mentioned to her that when our backyard wooden deck gets worn out, I'd like to replace it with a ground level cement patio or paving stones. I see two more parking space there.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
3/23/09 4:17 p.m.

My wife told me no more for a minimum of 5 years...... unless one dies. HRmmmm....

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
3/23/09 4:25 p.m.

I think it's contagious, my wife is certainly infected...when we sold the Miata a few weeks ago (had to pay for the E30 somehow) my wife and I literally sat on the couch and cried in each other's arms as the new owners took it out of the driveway. She begged me to stop them and tried to convince me we could keep all 3 cars on one lowly income. I almost caved.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
3/23/09 4:32 p.m.

If I didn't have a wife, I'd have a million cheap cars in my driveway.....of course I wouldn't be able to afford the drive way, but that is a different story.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
3/23/09 7:03 p.m.

My wife knows what she got in to with me. Back in a simpler time I had a beatle(1973)and a bus (VW 1977). One day she told me of a nice beatle(1970) for sale by the mall and said I should look at it. Well I still have the 70 beetle, well the motor is now blown-up. Not only do we the beatle there is the Focus and the P71.

if eny thing I think we help each other with our problems (even my spelling)

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
3/23/09 7:03 p.m.

Hi my name is Porksboy and Im a carsophrenic and a vehicularitic. I had a brief relapse today. On the way to closing on our home refi I had a strong desire to stop and look at a Miata for sale on the side of the road. Fortunately my sposor was with me and conviced me to drive on. Im not saying I will but the urge is strong to drive home from work a diffrent way tomorrow and have a look. I know I shouldnt but I can stop at just looking I know I can. This disease doesnt own me, I own it, and can control it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Reader
3/23/09 7:34 p.m.

My neighbors hate me. The wife really doesn't care as long as it doesn't affect the "house" budget. Got an 83 RX-7 (the never ending project), 1970 Chevelle with a Turbocharged 250 I6 (basket case), 1957 Chevy 150 Handyman, 97 Ford E150 tow rig, and a 99 Venture the wife drives. Also a 20' boat, and a KZ1000. I have the illness and the people I hang with (they've got more crap than I do) just encourage it. Please hep me!! Not.

midknight
midknight Reader
3/23/09 8:04 p.m.

Several years ago I divested myself of my last wife. Unfortunately it meant that there was no longer a check on my autoholicism. As I am also childless, it has further exacerbated the problem. Last year I had five cars in my two car garage. (four Minis and a Bugeye). This morning I had eighteen on the property not counting those in the garage, with several more stashed at throughout the state. I realize that I need help...no, really... and so I am bringing everything home and going to sell all but 5. Or so I thought until 20 minutes ago. One girlfriend called and said she just bought an xke in Texas, the other called last night and said she bought a roundlight 2002. Both want me to keep and restore them at my house as a way for us to "spend more time together." Oops.

Btw, xke needs a lot of work, 2002 is a runner. They paid about the same. All else being equal, which g/f would you keep? (this question is for entertainment and discussion purposes only)

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 8:12 p.m.

105 cars in 22 years of driving, 6 currently at the house.....um...no there is no cure. Although as much as I hate to say it, from a purely DD standpoint the little smart car is the first one Ive had where Im not thinking about what will replace it. For what I need it to do I cant seem to find anything else out there that fits the bill.

It just means I have to have more "toys" in rotation outside of the DD use though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
3/23/09 8:56 p.m.
midknight wrote: Or so I thought until 20 minutes ago. One girlfriend called and said she just bought an xke in Texas, the other called last night and said she bought a roundlight 2002. Both want me to keep and restore them at my house as a way for us to "spend more time together." Oops. Btw, xke needs a lot of work, 2002 is a runner. They paid about the same. All else being equal, which g/f would you keep? (this question is for entertainment and discussion purposes only)

Odds and Evens FTW!

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Reader
3/23/09 9:06 p.m.

See my problem I guess is I can't decide what I want. Today it's the new Fiesta, yesterday it was a C5 Vette. Slightly different them two for sure.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
3/23/09 11:51 p.m.

(stands up) Hi my name is Kevin/CarKid and i have not changed my mind about what car i lust after for...shoot...5 minutes. nevermind (sits down)

Im sick. Everyday it gets worse. So many choices so little money.

I want different stuff, but then i get on super weird combnations. Ummm...Yugo with Miata engine/ suspension for example.

What is the cure?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wAfIPXscQCDanGbLJbX1TdxyMwwwtxfGpJCQsVgSCpSeK03eBKp91ZGI9fpMxm43