mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
3/4/23 7:53 p.m.

I usually don't do product reviews but these went so bad that I attempted to. 
In December for a family present I bought a Breville Bambino Plus. Simple automatic semi programmable espresso machine. Has a new style inline heater & no boiler tanks & a really good automatic frother. It is also very highly rated.  We were using it heavily for @ 3 weeks & it quit heating. We did a clean & a de-scale & every other thing we could think of (while waiting for Breville to respond back after filing a case) but still not heating the water. It flowed great but didn't heat. It took Breville 3 days to reply back after the recording said it would be @45 minutes.  Also their chat constantly says it isn't available.  All they suggested was what I already tried. So returned it to Amazon & ordered another one. 
To our surprise, 3 weeks later the same exact ting happened to the 2nd one. This time I didn't even contact Breville, I did contact the seller on Amazon & they said return it to them & they refunded the $.  
So I thought I would do a 1 star review on it on Amazon. I explained exactly what happened to 2 of them & wasn't overly negative. A few days later I get a respond from Amazon stating that my review isn't allowed due to a list of 4 or 5 different issues, one of them being using profanity, which I didn't. None of the things listed were valid for my review.  Obviously they can't have such a low review of such a popular $500 item so it just isn't allowed. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/4/23 8:13 p.m.

man that sucks... I have been eyeing a super automatic espresso machine to replace/update my current 2 machine setup (Kuerig and nespresso).  I have been checking out the Gaggia machines on wholelattelove.  My BIL/SIL have a Gaggia machine that they make 6-8 shots worth of espresso a year including latte's and have been for almost 3 years.  

The units cost a bit more than what you mentioned paying for the Breville but might be worth checking into.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/4/23 8:36 p.m.

So... you reviewed a product you don't even own!!

"Sir, you gave this product a bad review"

"Yes"

"Do you own one of these products?"

"Well, no, I...."

"AH HA!"

"Case closed"

logic wins!!    cheeky

mdshaw
mdshaw HalfDork
3/5/23 6:01 a.m.

In reply to ClearWaterMS :

I almost got the Gaggia Classic Pro & would do the Gagguino upgrade to it which makes it fully automatic with multi program ability with graphing. I did go with the Breville dual boiler, dual Pid from Wholelattelove. I started roasting also which is fun.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/5/23 12:44 p.m.

In reply to mdshaw :

I'd guess the seller reported your review, and Amazon probably doesn't actually put any real effort into verifying their claims. It's probably not found through an obvious path, which is how they abuse the system to their rating advantage, but I'd be searching for some way to contact Amazon back and contest their actions.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
3/5/23 1:12 p.m.

I know it's a fork in the topic, but I do like my Gaggia Classic Pro very much. I do 3-5 small cappuccinos pretty much every day.

That said, there's a little internal solenoid valve that clogs up and requires significant disassembly to remove and clean, and I seem to have to do it every few months. Being diligent about the cleaning powder process helps.

The other issue is that no matter how gentle you are with it, the steam wand valve looks to be an annual replacement item.

That sucks about Amazon. I'll spare this thread my rant about how so many things that seem necessary to do business on a large scale simply offload any work or untenable problems that don't fit the streamlined workflow back to the customer. Or at least shorten the rant cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/5/23 1:21 p.m.

I guess one could argue that the seller did a good job, but the product was junk.  Are you reviewing the seller, or the product?

If they are one and the same, well deserved bad review.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsbrR0KJ63bvIi6FPjsFEbkrpUn87BnQ9FUf1cMJIz56ZcK6Q900wPa5NTJHkBxL