BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/30/21 4:17 p.m.

They're currently chilling in their own room, and the other cats are also being pretty chill about the growing family so far.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
7/30/21 4:22 p.m.

Did not notice the pun when I clicked the thread. Well done. 

Brothers? Backstory? Battlestar Galactica? 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/30/21 4:34 p.m.

Thank you .

They're brother and sister, bonded, a little less than two years old. Very mellow cats, at least so far.

Came from a local cat cafe/adoption center - the back story they had is that their previous can opener, sorry, human had passed away and they ended up with a cat rescue. When the rescue tried to separate them, one of the two got really sick so the word was, you take both or none.

The brother is rather reserved, but the sister did the whole "wanna be my new can opener" routine so who was I to say no.

One of our cats is slowly fading away and is probably not going to be around for much longer. Like months, if we're lucky. We still have two middle aged female cats, however my wife suggested that we check out some kittens a colleague of hers is fostering. The kittens are cute but very indifferent to us and we believe in having cats pick you, so she mumbled something about me going to the local shelter.

She might be a little surprised when she gets home .

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/30/21 5:05 p.m.

About time we had another cat thread. Congrats on the new overlords.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/30/21 5:17 p.m.

My new doffus. a Half Maine Coon, Half Scottish fold who was an oppsie breeder mistake. He is as dumb as he looks 

His 20lb pure breed Russian sister for scale. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/30/21 5:28 p.m.

Well, wife is home from work and approves of my choice of felines.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/30/21 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thanks. Someone's got to run the show here, after all.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/30/21 5:36 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

He does look like a fun cat.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/30/21 11:18 p.m.

Bonded pairs always make me a little emotional because it feels like it stems from a fairly human-like behavior. Basically the cats are saying "we need each other, please don't separate us" which is really sweet somehow. Proof that cats understand love, in my opinion anyway.

One of our cats is 15 years old or so, and we already have her eating special food to try and keep her kidneys working as long as possible. I'm dreading the day we have to say goodbye to her. But I also kind of look forward to going to a shelter someday down the road from that, and finding a new furry friend to help ease the pain.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/31/21 7:58 a.m.

Turns out that the "reserved" boy (currently known as Bambam) is actually quite vocal. Especially at 4am, prompting me to decamp to the spare bedroom that they're in before he woke up everybody else. He eventually enjoyed the view from the window, but also made it clear that we can't leave the window open when we're not in the room, at least until I replace the screen with a pet safe version. Especially as I don't fancy picking him up off the roof.

But once he chilled a bit, he even tried his paw at being a lap cat for a little bit. I think those two will work out ok - I fell asleep again in the spare bedroom and woke up with the girl (Pebbles) curled up on my shoulder.

Next step, get them used to wet food. I'll have to get some dry food this morning for them, but I would really prefer if they ate wet food.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/31/21 8:25 a.m.

Forgot to mention - this is actually our second bonded pair. The two middle-aged sisters I mentioned above were also a bonded pair.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/1/21 6:30 p.m.

Hoping for the best! Wet food is the best for felines and canines.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/1/21 7:06 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

They're currently chilling in their own room, and the other cats are also being pretty chill about the growing family so far.

I went to work one time and came home with a cat. I know how it goes. 

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/1/21 10:03 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Forgot to mention - this is actually our second bonded pair. The two middle-aged sisters I mentioned above were also a bonded pair.

Are they called Selma and Pattie? smiley

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
8/2/21 12:01 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Hoping for the best! Wet food is the best for felines and canines.

Just out of curiosity, why is wet food the best? I have several dogs over the years, and I always used dry kibble and the dogs were always healthy and long-lived. They were not overfed, and they were active and maintained a healthy weight.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/2/21 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

[NotAVet]

At least with cats, it can damage their kidneys if you only feed them dry food. A lot of cats aren't that great at drinking water anyway (one reason why we have six cat fountains around the house), and in general wet food makes up for that to some extent.

And in other news, Pebbles made the first steps outside their current "sanctuary room" this morning. And promptly wandered back in. I have a pet/baby gate for the door coming today, so hopefully we'll be able to leave the door to the room open and allow my office cat to at least see them. They've been sniffing each other under the door for the last two days already with very little growling and no hissing so far, so hopefully the two newcomers will be able to leave their room fairly soon.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/2/21 8:42 a.m.
Type Q said:
BoxheadTim said:

Are they called Selma and Pattie? smiley

Unfortunately not, and neither is the third one called Fred although the coat matches. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/2/21 9:38 a.m.

This is great, happy to hear they're taking to their new home. 

My orange cat is especially vocal/needy/borderline obnoxious at about 4 am. He wakes me up every night but I almost never have the heart to close him out of the bedroom. 

Overlords is right. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/2/21 4:44 p.m.

And of course the pet gate is not arriving today, might arrive in the next couple of days. That's the second or third order from Amazon that's been randomly delayed in the last week or so. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/3/21 5:45 a.m.

Four of my five.  This was taken about a year before number five came along.

The orange tabby Is thirteen now, have had him since he was one.  The two medium hairs are brother and sister, and about six.  I found them at work, and the sister got caught up in the conveyor belt before I could rescue her.  Messed up her tail, and she has a permanent bend in her left ear.  She had a problem with an impacted bowel as well, but she’s been healthy ever since, just with a little nub of a tail now.  The short hair grey tabby I found about a year later at work, no doubt from the same momma.  Found the last one about two years after that, another short hair grey tabby.  Never found the momma, and it’s been almost three years since finding the last one.  Harsh environment and lots of coyotes roaming through the plant at night

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/5/21 12:36 p.m.

Looks like they're all getting used to each other - fortunately the house is big enough for everybody to spread out a bit. All cats get to roam the house during the day with minimal issues so far, but at night we currently keep the newcomers separated.

Everybody seems to be pretty chill so far.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
8/5/21 6:20 p.m.

Awesome, we took in a 3 week old kitten last month, unfortunately our older cat is not happy with new addition yet, hopefully over time they'll bond. Our dog on the other hand loves the baby.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mzKKMOeLew5DJaBHfMr9iLdU0puJgPzxiAzUeWtPehBah3gw6le8FX3cGr4ZadCM