1 2
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
7/5/20 1:38 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

250k is our max budget for a house. No kids yet but planning on starting a family in the next couple years.  So we have some time to get established in the metro area before we really need to worry about school districts

$250K will buy you a decent house in many of the Atlanta suburbs.  Where I live, $250k will get you about 2000-2200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms maybe 4.  Typically it'll be on a .25 acre plot or something like that.  If you're lucky, you may find it on .5 acres.  Since suburban sprawl has been a fairly recent thing here in Atlanta (I was part of it), a lot of the houses are newer and built in HOA communities.  If you want one of the older homes in the suburbs, they typically have more land and may be a bit less expensive.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/5/20 1:57 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to RacetruckRon :

You should think again about Anderson.  The Greenville area is awesome, and your money will go much further.

I think we are going to swing over that way for a day or two when we are down in the Southeast at the end of August.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
7/5/20 5:25 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

250k is our max budget for a house. No kids yet but planning on starting a family in the next couple years.  So we have some time to get established in the metro area before we really need to worry about school districts

Pretty sure that's possible in metro Atlanta but it's likely to be pretty far outside the 285 perimeter. "Pretty far out" is likely the necessary description anyway if you want more than tiny lot size in that price range.  

If airport proximity is important I'd look on SW side like you've been doing. If you don't need good schools for a while I think places like College Park and East Point are ripe for significant investment upside potential - especially if you are handy. It won't be long before everyone realizes you can buy inside the perimeter and eight miles from downtown. In those places. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/5/20 6:12 p.m.

College Park?  Really?

Google "College Park crime rate". 

Google says:

"With a crime rate of 79 per one thousand residents, College Park has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 13."

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
7/5/20 8:43 p.m.

As stated previously by a lot of other posters there are lots of options in the area. Some are going to be out of range with $250k to spend. A couple questions will help a lot for giving you some advice......

how big big a home do you need? Sf? # of bedrooms? Garage space(s)?

how far out are kids? Do you definitely want public school? Or is private an option?

does the house you buy have to be your forever house?

other than travel (airport), and motor sports, what activities do you want to be doing? Hiking, fishing, fine dining? Theater? Music? Junkyard trips? Other?

Do so you consider yourself to be trendy? Are you a walk places kind of person or does going out mean a car?

i know it’s a lot of questions.... but I think it will help people like me that don’t know you personally!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
7/5/20 9:26 p.m.

College Park?  Really?

Google "College Park crime rate". 

Google says:

"With a crime rate of 79 per one thousand residents, College Park has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 13."

Damn. Didn't know that. I made the suggestion because I have several co-workers living over there. Two have lived there for fifteen+ years and two who have moved there recently. Single people. Married people. They all like it and recommend to everybody that asks as an area with upside potential. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/6/20 1:03 a.m.

lived in Atlanta for 5 years, moved out in 2010 but i still pass through a couple times a year on the way to visit family in Acworth from where we are in Augusta.  we had an apt. in Decatur, right near Emory University.  i worked in Duluth and Conyers, doing the reverse commute out to those locations.  

i'm not 100% up on property values since its been a while, but it might be worth looking in Decatur, which is due east of downtown.  Neat older part of town that's come a long way in the last 20 years.  we had an apt on Clairmont, near Emory and we could be at the airport within 25-30 mins if traffic was light.  the reverse commute was awesome and i liked the neighboring area of Little 5 Points.  You aren't going to get a nice sized yard in that area for those prices, but if you can do a townhome or maybe a smaller, older home you might be able to make that work for you.

Outside the perimeter I think you could possibly get a place in Vinings, Sandy Springs, Stone Mountain or Dunwoody although i'm sure its not as much house as you would if you went out further.  I'm not a fan of the areas south of I-20, crime is higher there generally speaking.  Past I-575 on the west side or Duluth on the east side i think traffic gets pretty rough if you need to use the interstate a lot to commute.  For me it wasn't so much the volume of traffic, just how aggressive people get and the speed delta sometimes...even travelling 75-80 you'll get passed by people doing well north of 90 and you just have to watch your mirrors and commit to a gap or hold your ground and be predictable.

As others have mentioned - stifling heat in summer, no real winter which some people love.  traffic at peak hours is pretty awful to experience but if you can reverse-commute or travel during off-hours, its nothing to really fear.  Lots to do, although you have to drive for it due to the sprawl.  One thing i liked that i wasn't prepared for was how close you actually are to the mountains.  From the north side of town you can get deep into the blue ridge in about 2 hours....hiking, fishing, apple picking, and small mountain towns.  2 big lakes (Lanier and Altoona) which is fun if you're a boater or do kayaking.  the car scene is pretty healthy with tons of clubs, cruises, specialty shops and there's plenty of tracks to try out within 2-3hrs or less of the city.  We never did get to try all the restaurants we wanted to, either....so many choices.  The Braves just got a new stadium and the Falcons are worth seeing.  

i think Greenville SC is a very worthwhile mention.  i did an internship in Greer for a summer and LOVED downtown Greenville, and it seems to have gotten even better over the past 15 years I've visited it again and again.  its got a lot going for it and a job market that seems to remain pretty good.   Not as much to do as Atlanta of course, and without that big airport connection but lots of nice homes and the associated shopping areas and schools.

OHSCrifle said:

Damn. Didn't know that. I made the suggestion because I have several co-workers living over there. Two have lived there for fifteen+ years and two who have moved there recently. Single people. Married people. They all like it and recommend to everybody that asks as an area with upside potential. 

i would not mess around with College Park or any area right near the airport.  i'm sure there are some "up and coming" spots there but for me it seems like a tough gamble with the consistent crime in that area.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
7/6/20 3:08 a.m.

We did a job in Union City recently (near airport). Had several thefts happen from the jobsite in broad daylight. I was asked by a couple of local business owners to avoid doing business with them after dark. (They were concerned that riff-raff would initiate racially motivated crime in their stores). 

SW of the city near airport is a not prime residential area. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/6/20 8:05 a.m.

I'm looking too, so let me piggyback a related question...

I'm wanting to be slightly more rural- not farmland, but maybe 1-2 acres.  My kids live in Tucker and Smyrna (NE and NW).  I'd like to be in shooting distance of them both.  The closer the better.  Max 75 minutes.  $350 max price tag.  No HOA.

Suggested locations?  (Woodstock is on my radar)

If you can go a little further north, there are still good deals in ballground/jasper.

Good luck finding anything "rural" in woodstock/canton.

Our house in jasper is under contract at $226k 3br/2ba 1600 sq ft on a little over 1 acre.

Jasper puts you an hour from downtown/airport, and about an hour & 20 from Chatt.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/6/20 8:40 a.m.

Like has been said, the metro Atlanta is gigantic: the suburbs extend a good 40-50 miles in any direction from downtown and it touches almost 30 counties, totaling about 6 million people.  Each area has its own character, so it's easier to give advice as you home in on a particular town or county.

I've lived in Atlanta for over 20 years and really like this city.  I have personal experience with a few of the Downtown/Midtown neighborhoods and the NW suburbs (Roswell, Marietta, Kennesaw, Woodstock, Canton, etc).  Each time we've moved we've gone farther out in order to get more space for our money.  My current commute (90 miles round trip) only makes sense because I'm able to work from home much of the time.

For what it's worth, I think Greenville SC is a great area, too.  At just under a million people, it has a lot of city amenities without being expensive or feeling crowded.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/6/20 10:57 a.m.

The woman I am dating lives in Woodstock, and as stated previously, it is a very nice place.  She recently moved there from the next town up, Canton, and that is decent also, and much, much cheaper.  One thing that struck me about Atlanta and the surrounding area as we looked at houses is that everything, and I mean everything, seems to have a HOA.  The closer you get to Atlanta itself the more expensive they seem to be.  We looked at one house where the HOA was about as much as the house payment would have been.  Crazy.  Most are in the $100 to $200 a month ballpark.  The other thing that stuck me was the property taxes.  They are quote high compared to my area in Huntsville, AL, but housing prices themselves are similar.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/6/20 2:20 p.m.

I'm looking too, so let me piggyback a related question...

I'm wanting to be slightly more rural- not farmland, but maybe 1-2 acres.  My kids live in Tucker and Smyrna (NE and NW).  I'd like to be in shooting distance of them both.  The closer the better.  Max 75 minutes.  $350 max price tag.  No HOA.

Suggested locations?  (Woodstock is on my radar)

While Lawrenceville is largely dense suburbs, it has a few pockets with a more rural character just a little to the east. There's a literal dairy farm about 2 miles from my house, which is at the eastern end of the city boundary. Dacula, Loganville, or Grayson would also be currently good fits for semi-rural. These are reasonably close to Tucker and your price tag; Smyrna is going to be on the far end of the 75 minute driving range, though.

(Edited) If you're trying to avoid a HOA, best bet is going to be an older neighborhood or something that isn't in a subdivision at all. A relatively new $350K house is almost certain to be in a HOA.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
7/6/20 2:26 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Good info.  Thanks!

I know one of those 2 locations is likely to be at the 75 minute limit no matter where we end up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j8mXRbIMrwOXKWLa8x6KjNuQJo3NI4lBRAqYYwe3y0dWQhaAXd3alY5xMGliEEKD