fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
10/5/20 11:17 a.m.

All of the recent model railroad threads have me thinking about setting up a Christmas Train and Village this year.

The current plan is for an L shaped table, four feet on each leg and two feet deep.  That should provide enough depth for an HO scale to turn around.

This will be my first real train set up and I don't know much about the brands available.  I'd like to keep initial cost reasonable (to keep the wife happy), and the Bachmann kits look like a good starting point.   Is it, or shoud I be looking at Hornby or Lionel (at double or triple the cost)?

Are most HO scale tracks compatible?  My goal is to set up a figure 8 with the cross over at the bend of the L, so I assume I'll need additional track to make that work.

Thanks

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/5/20 12:04 p.m.

What hath I wrought?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/5/20 12:25 p.m.

Hmmm.  I've got a lot of pieces laying around in O, HO, and N gauge.  I might need to set up something in time for Christmas, since it seems to be all the rage nowadays.... laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/5/20 1:34 p.m.

Bachmann's Spectrum series is a good compromise between cost and quality. Although out of production. Life-Like's Proto 2000 is another good one. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/5/20 11:00 p.m.

that is all. 

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
10/7/20 12:11 p.m.

I ended up ordering the Bachmann Jingle Bell Express.   Weirdly enough, Macy's ended up having the lowest price.  It was $119 there, and Amazon wanted about $160.  It was definitely worth checking Google for prices instead of assuming Amazon would be the best.  Also got free shipping and a 25% off the next item I order; which could be handy w/ the holidays coming up.

I'll try to snap pictures of the build if anyone is interested.  

(not my picture)

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
10/7/20 2:54 p.m.

To through gas on the fire, Shopgoodwill has a bunch of HO RR stuff on it right now.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/7/20 7:46 p.m.

I don't think you can turn an HO radius in two feet. You'll need at least 3 for smooth transition and allow longer engines and cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/7/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Came to say the same thing. Serch "train." Look carefully, because there might be hidden jems under a generic title. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F28NFryBItmu4OdAhTH9dj62GsTQsVtZtance2hyymBMISyB67jBIgAu4m943prM