1 2
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/23 8:19 a.m.

Dodge (yes, they apparently still exist) has applied the GLH badge to a Fiat-based SUV. I hope it all goes well, but I am guessing it will sully the name in the same way Ford ruined the ST badge and the Mustang name. 

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
3/8/23 8:44 a.m.

The other day I was surprised to be driving behind a new Mitsubishi Eclipse

...SUV

Although they arguably ruined that name themselves years ago even as a car

EDIT: found the pic

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/8/23 8:54 a.m.

Honestly.... I don't hate it. But as you can see by my signature, I'm not a purist about nameplates.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
3/8/23 9:01 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

So, in other words, one can buy an SUV that looks remarkably similar to the (presumably) much more expensive Maserati Levante for less!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/8/23 9:01 a.m.

Bah.

You kids get off my lawn.

I mean it.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
3/8/23 9:03 a.m.

What is a CUV but a frumpy hatchback? This turbo Dodge guy loves that the GLH nameplate is back on a vehicle that by all accounts is going to be surprisingly speedy given its segment... 

This is the one thing in life I currently have the capacity to find optimism for let's not fully ruin it, wait for Stellantis to do that 

tb
tb Dork
3/8/23 9:21 a.m.

I am cautiously optimistic that it is slightly above average?

I used to race a first gen eclipse and am working on a GLH racer... so I have been hurt before and would prefer to avoid any further insult to notable nameplates.

/safety gear and extinguisher in hand/

I actually like the Fiat thing more than the Mazda versions preceeding it and modern the Abarth Fiats are a credit to the name.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/8/23 9:21 a.m.

Names don't mean E36 M3 anymore.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/8/23 9:30 a.m.

Meh, it doesn't bother me; didn't an Omni GLH run something like a 16-second quarter mile? cheeky

We'll be driving the new SUV next week, with impressions embargoed for a few days after that. Curious to see how it drives.

tb
tb Dork
3/8/23 9:31 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Names don't mean E36 M3 anymore.

Also this.

I cannot say that this is a move I would have made, but languages evolve, meanings shift and idioms rule the day. Not the hill I am going to die on.

tb
tb Dork
3/8/23 9:32 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Meh, it doesn't bother me; didn't an Omni GLH run something like a 16-second quarter mile? cheeky

Dunno, never driven one that was stock... cheeky

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/8/23 10:15 a.m.

I challenge the premise of this rant in the sense that GLH is not a storied name. A storied story, maybe, but the storied name in this conversation is Shelby. Additionally, did Ford actually ruin the Mustang name? Doesn't seem like it to me. 

Ultimately, the only relevant question in regards to whether or not the new car deserves the name: Does the new GLH go like hell?

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/8/23 10:44 a.m.

Well, after the days of the IMSA GTP prototypes I was always amused to see those letters on some POS Pontiac, like the owners would even know what a Grand Touring Prototype was.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
3/8/23 10:51 a.m.

Manufacturers can't ruin anything by putting out an SUV, as it leads to increased sales and boosted shareholder value, which is the entire point of them making cars.

The "CUV/SUV" body style was pretty much how all cars used to look. They're this, with aero improvements and a bit of styling.

1936 Ford Tudor Bowling Green, Ohio | Hemmings.com

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/8/23 10:51 a.m.
triumph7 said:

Well, after the days of the IMSA GTP prototypes I was always amused to see those letters on some POS Pontiac, like the owners would even know what a Grand Touring Prototype was.

Pontiac was doing that 20 years earlier when they stole "GTO" from Ferrari.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/8/23 10:58 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
triumph7 said:

Pontiac was doing that 20 years earlier when they stole "GTO" from Ferrari.

Yeah but that stood for Gas Tires and Oil... 'Muricans didn't know Ferraris back then.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/8/23 11:09 a.m.
P3PPY said:

The other day I was surprised to be driving behind a new Mitsubishi Eclipse

...SUV

Although they arguably ruined that name themselves years ago even as a car

They second they stopped offering turbo 4-cylinders and AWD, the Eclipse was dead.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
3/8/23 8:50 p.m.

Times change, people change and names don't mean anything.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
3/8/23 9:06 p.m.

The Pontiac GTO was first sold in 1963 that's 60 years ago. 
Damn I'm old. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/9/23 7:03 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

The Pontiac GTO was first sold in 1963 that's 60 years ago. 

To clarify, they started production in late 1963 for the 1964 model year.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/9/23 7:11 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

This seems like non-issue.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/9/23 7:47 a.m.

For the Eclipse-cross to really honor the original Eclipse it will need to randomly blow head gaskets and grenade transmissions.

Being a Mitsubishi, that shouldn't be too difficult. 

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
3/9/23 8:55 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Crank walk

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/9/23 9:15 a.m.

Eh, I'm fine with it. It looks fun for a daily driver situation where you need more cargo space, kinda like the Kona N. There have been plenty of other performance SUV's over the years from Mopar alone, (Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Durango R/T, Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, 5.9 Limited, etc) so this tracks. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
3/9/23 9:21 a.m.
^Suddenly (again) begins searching for 1936 Fords...
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Manufacturers can't ruin anything by putting out an SUV, as it leads to increased sales and boosted shareholder value, which is the entire point of them making cars.

The "CUV/SUV" body style was pretty much how all cars used to look. They're this, with aero improvements and a bit of styling.

1936 Ford Tudor Bowling Green, Ohio | Hemmings.com

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fXm5jO5dBBnqdjHCdnCPdbC7dWdu9htmdSB3bAZKRJYlhjFlj8eggj5m9DrhYkNb