1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/16 1:07 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to mtn: You can carry a lot more - even in a Ridgeline - in the bed of a truck than you can in the trunk of a car. If I get a flat in my car, at most I have to move a suitcase or a couple bags of groceries. Try that with a loader bucket of mulch.

So move the spare to the bed for those 4 times a year that you have a full load... Seriously, there is a spot for it there. Or heck, just put the spare in the cab of the trucklet.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
9/20/16 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

yeah, I've had skids loaded into my truck by a forklift, loads of gravel/sand/etc and a ton of paving stones.....having to remove all of that to get to the spare tire would put me into a bad mood very quickly.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/20/16 2:12 p.m.
Fobroader wrote: In reply to Duke: yeah, I've had skids loaded into my truck by a forklift, loads of gravel/sand/etc and a ton of paving stones.....having to remove all of that to get to the spare tire would put me into a bad mood very quickly.

I'm guessing not many Ridgeline owners do that with their truck. Actually I'm guessing most bro-dozer 3/4 ton coal rollin douche nozzles don't even do that with their trucks. Truthfully I bet most trucks on the road don't really do truck things.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
9/20/16 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

I would have to say yes to most of your reply. Its amazing the amount of trucks I've looked at that have a virgin, shiny, unscathed bed....which saddens me.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/20/16 2:33 p.m.

Yeah, berk under bed spares. I also find the unobtrusive "wheel wells" in the ridgeline make the bed more useful than the regular small trucks.

Now if they made a smaller single cab on the CRV platform I would be on that.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
9/20/16 2:43 p.m.
Brian wrote: Now if they made a smaller single cab on the CRV platform I would be on that.

What do you think of this Hyundai concept that I seem to remember hearing has been cleared for production:

Added later:

Ops, as of July 2016, Motor Trend sez’ if it happens at all, it won’t be until 2020 and it’ll be more truck like.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/16 2:58 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
Fobroader wrote: In reply to Duke: yeah, I've had skids loaded into my truck by a forklift, loads of gravel/sand/etc and a ton of paving stones.....having to remove all of that to get to the spare tire would put me into a bad mood very quickly.
I'm guessing not many Ridgeline owners do that with their truck. Actually I'm guessing most bro-dozer 3/4 ton coal rollin douche nozzles don't even do that with their trucks. Truthfully I bet most trucks on the road don't really do truck things.

I have had two out of the three in my truck bed - skids of car parts and a ton of paving stones. I used a dump trailer for the sand, though. I figured a while back that 80% of my truck's mileage has been either with a two-car trailer on the back or a big load in the bed. I would not be happy with a spare that was inaccessible with a load - and I've had one stolen too, dammit.

But I don't use my truck for car things. It would not be good at it, especially around the city. I am not a potential Ridgeline customer.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
9/20/16 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I really like the Ridgeline, it rides nicely, its quiet, handles well and with the new restyle, it actually looks good. The fact that it only comes with a V6 pointing the wrong way and can only tow 5000lbs kind of take it out of the running for me.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/20/16 3:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote:
I have had two out of the three in my truck bed - skids of car parts and a ton of paving stones. I used a dump trailer for the sand, though. I figured a while back that 80% of my truck's mileage has been either with a two-car trailer on the back or a big load in the bed. I would not be happy with a spare that was inaccessible with a load - and I've had one stolen too, dammit. But I don't use my truck for car things. It would not be good at it, especially around the city. I am not a potential Ridgeline customer.

You clearly are not. Horse farmers are not. Guys like me? Yeah, Ridgeline is looking pretty good to me (Except that it is too wide for me, which leads me back to Frontiers and Tacomas)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/16 3:13 p.m.

The funny thing is that at family gatherings, I have the prettiest truck Around here, trucks are beasts of burden. But it's about the right tool for the job. I do not enjoy driving the big boy on most city streets, and it's not well suited to light duty. The Ridgeline has its place for sure, and nobody should be trying to decide between a Ridgeline and a Dodge 2500.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/20/16 6:52 p.m.
Duke wrote:
06HHR wrote: I noticed Honda used rounded rocks in the latest Ridgeline commercial, didn't seem to be a whole lot of them though
What I noticed about that commercial is that 10 years later, Honda *still* didn't learn not to put the spare in a secret compartment you can't get to with a load the bed.

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about the winch mechanism siezing (I had a siezed winch on a Ram Promaster last month. You know, the giant front-drive Fiat...) or the wheel being so rusty that you can't get lug nuts to stay on it, assuming that it even holds air let alone had air in it in the first place.

Downsides, upsides. You makes your engineering choices and lives with 'em.

Of course, part of this is the Ridgeline being an Odyssey with a bed, which isn't entirely a bad thing either.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/20/16 8:46 p.m.

If I'm honest my D350 constantly has a load in the bed; a spare wheel from my other truck and a few pieces of scrap metal I'm too lazy to remove without a reason that I never quite end up with. I've had a trailer hitched up to it exactly once. I've honestly considered replacing it with an old turbo Dodge Caravan, but with the Bravada that would leave me with 2 soccer mom mobiles that are trying to act like they're cool.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/20/16 9:01 p.m.

I drive an el Camino. I am a truck customer that the Ridgeline was intended for. Plywood, engines, flooring, decking, couches, dump runs.

If I need to pull an enclosed trailer (once since learning to drive) I borrow a 1 ton diesel.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
9/20/16 9:13 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: If I need to pull an enclosed trailer (once since learning to drive) I borrow a 1 ton diesel.

Now I remember that I never tow with my 27 year old 1 ton because my dad has a 3 year old 1/2 ton which is actually a much better tool for the job. I should get an Elco.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/20/16 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Yes, you should. Does 99% of what 80% of the population needs a truck to do.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
9/20/16 9:22 p.m.

Does that mini - spare have the capacity to hold up a fully loaded truck? Will the jack work at that load?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
9/21/16 9:44 a.m.

I love the Ridgeline ad posted earlier where they are used basically for rapid fire home oriented DIY projects, I'm totally the market for one. I've been using a '96 Sierra for several years and it gets a lot of work, there is always something being hauled. From time to time I do have close to 2,000 lbs in the bed, and that is too much for a Ridgeline. I don't do any off-roading (my Sierra is 2WD). But, the Ridgeline is expensive, and for the same money there are trucks that are just as good at being weekend warrior project trucks AND have additional capabilities, like 4WD and locking diffs, etc., you may never use but you aren't necessarily punished at cost either, and frankly they look cooler as well.

Image result for gmc canyon

Image result for frontier Pro 4x

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/21/16 10:02 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: If I was in charge of GM truck commercials, I would make one where the announcer dude holds up a pushrod. He would say "America, do you know what this is? It's a pushrod. Ford doesn't use them anymore and that is why they suck. 'Merica". And that would be it. It would increase sales tenfold.

That is why the LSx engines are so popular as a swap engine - using pushrods makes them fairly narrow for the amount of power they make.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/21/16 10:22 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Those sort of commercials really remind me of political commercials. They are highly produced, you can pretty much never trust what they tell you and you can guarantee they will take the most slanted approach possible totally ignoring any context or secondary effects.

The difference is, the car commercials are taking two very similar products that are both thoroughly capable at performing their intended functions, and trying to convince you that their competitor can not deliver on the promises they are making (which they can and will). The political commercial is taking two very similar candidates of dubious merit, and trying to convince you that their candidate will deliver on the promises they are making (which they probably can't and won't).

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/21/16 5:45 p.m.

What are the odds ?

Full box and a flat tire at the same time.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
9/21/16 6:39 p.m.
iceracer wrote: What are the odds ? Full box and a flat tire at the same time.

At the rate I see Hondas on the side of the road with flats, a 99% chance

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/21/16 8:33 p.m.

face it, the Ridgeline is not aimed at people who own F150s or 250s.. it is filling the niche that ford left behind when they stopped production of the Ranger.

I consider it small truck that is just as much at home commuting to work as it is doing SOME work. As it is, except for the contractors, I rarely see a "real" truck with a load in the bed around here. Most of them are being used as big American "cars" that the big three stopped producing years ago

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/22/16 10:09 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: That is why the LSx engines are so popular as a swap engine - using pushrods makes them fairly narrow for the amount of power they make.

Power density is one of my favorite terms.

It makes sense that you'd be more likely to pick up a flat with a loaded bed. Your tires are under more stress.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/22/16 4:57 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:

Thank god my truck does truck things.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout Reader
9/23/16 1:43 a.m.

Most people around here use their truck as weekend adventure vehicles, not heavy-duty towing and hauling, or even off-roading. These trucks are doing the exact same stuff a Subaru Outback is doing; carrying bikes, kayaks, etc. on their way to a camping spot on the mountain.

Full disclosure, I own a 1st gen Ridgeline - the most hated "truck" ever. I'm a car guy so I'd never willingly drive an SUV or truck but it sure does help me for work (carrying samples, displays, the occasional 4 x 6 pallet of stuff). It is also awesome for the stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph. Even though I hate the looks of the Gen 2, I'll probably buy another one for stupid reasons such as; I love the sound of the J series on full boil, the trunk is cool, and the dual action tailgate is unbelievably useful.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W0ti7YwarOhtxuyHufpPbXNHmLX2CfQhDyzBNJIWC2fTMB1KAw5XQBKbOBZchjsz