dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/8/17 9:17 a.m.

Thread from 2017:

I don't have any current issues but I like to stay ahead of this stuff.  What is good pay for and free stuff for this these days?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/17 9:18 a.m.

Based on suggestions here, I use the free version of AVAST for the Club PCs.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/8/17 9:19 a.m.

Win10's built-in antivirus actually might be the best. Some good free options are AVG and Avast.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/8/17 9:45 a.m.

Side qusetion: What's a good free one to try for Win 7 pro?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/17 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Apple Cougar Mellonseed :

That's what I use AVAST on.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/8/17 9:52 a.m.

We've been using Webroot for the past year at work. So far, I'm impressed, at least on the admin level. It has caught some nasty stuff and prevented it from doing anything malicious.  It's a paid product, but it does the job and does it well. The Windows Defender app that comes on new PC's is ok, but Webroot catches a lot more than it does. 

As you all probably know, McAfee is basically adware at this point. I delete it immediately upon setting up new PC's.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/8/17 9:52 a.m.
Apple Cougar Mellonseed said:

The free upgrade to Win10

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/17 9:54 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

As you all probably know, McAfee is basically adware at this point. I delete it immediately upon setting up new PC's.

One of numerous reasons I despise Adobe products - because the updates always default to trying to install that E36 M3 unless you catch it and uncheck the box.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/8/17 9:58 a.m.
Grtechguy said:

Which you can still get through to the end of this year via the accessibility loophole.

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim MegaDork
11/8/17 10:08 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Win10's built-in antivirus actually might be the best. Some good free options are AVG and Avast.

This. I supplement it with the occasional run of Spybot and Malwarebytes. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/9/17 7:08 a.m.
BoxheadCougarTim said:
GameboyRMH said:

This. I supplement it with the occasional run of Spybot and Malwarebytes. 

I will add to that Superantispyware. I use this as well. 

I had been using the free version of Avira but went to a pay to play AVG at the recommendation of severial network professionals.  Seems ok. 

I also completely agree on the McAfee stuff. I have a scorched earth policy in my office for that stuff. 

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
11/9/17 8:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Grtechguy said:

Which you can still get through to the end of this year via the accessibility loophole.

Care to explain? Or would I be better off Googling it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/9/17 8:58 a.m.
1kris06 said:
GameboyRMH said:

Care to explain? Or would I be better off Googling it.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/9/17 11:47 a.m.

Thanks! I've been meaning to research and see whether there was something better than the increasingly-intrusive Avast, but wasn't getting around to doing the research.

Might be placebo effect, but just uninstalled it and turned on Defender, and... I'm hopeful. It's also possible I'd let Avast default-on features I didn't really want that were also bogging things down. Anyhow, at least Defender probably won't give me as many pop-ups trying to get me to upgrade...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/17/19 9:10 a.m.

Might be a Canoe, a bit of a zombie thread.

yup only one post

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/17/19 9:58 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
2/18/19 2:58 p.m.

zombie won't stay down, 2nd strike... canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sEtjA22fQ1gMo7NqrSLo1JmgcYB51HfqMA6iqHjhC1dUi0higBYrGVQVT5cUJY7v