Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/15/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Absolutely fair. I'd agree with that.  I wasn't targeting them solely for violence but I think they threw gasoline on the flames. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/15/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

in the Indy Riots in 2020 of the 134 arrests, 70 were out of state and only 28 cases had charges pressed against them. 3 for murder. Well, technically 2 because the third got shot and killed by his second victim while laying on the ground bleeding.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
6/15/22 4:17 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Justjim75 

I heard nra convention was disarmed 

https://www.businessinsider.com/nra-conference-wont-allow-attendees-to-bring-their-guns-2022-5?amp

Not true.   I went to the convention and multiple people were walking around open carry. 

Houston Police were there and were telling people, who asked before entering, that its alright.  No telling how many were carrying concealed.  There was no metal detector set up either.

An event in a separate area of the convention center. with controlled access,  featured an appearance by Donald Trump.   No weapons of any kind allowed in there.   Secret Service rules.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
6/15/22 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've seen guys doing that or spears, dogs, bowie knives, and 20 gauge shotguns. 

Mostly in Australia and the US. Hats off to those beautiful maniacs. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/15/22 4:40 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Ok cool thanks for the info. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/15/22 4:44 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Justjim75 

https://www.businessinsider.com/nra-conference-wont-allow-attendees-to-bring-their-guns-2022-5?amp

Yeah, ok, lol.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
6/15/22 4:59 p.m.
jharry3 said:

An event in a separate area of the convention center. with controlled access,  featured an appearance by Donald Trump.   No weapons of any kind allowed in there.   Secret Service rules.

...And yet I have not see or heard of a single public condemnation or protest from 2A activists or the NRA about this gun free zone being unconstitutional, or the event speakers and attendees being less safe because criminals don't follow the rules and will find ways to commit their crimes regardless.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/15/22 5:11 p.m.
Justjim75 said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Justjim75 

Yeah, ok, lol.

I know right. If it doesn't come from that weird pillow salesman's mouth it must be false.  

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
6/15/22 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

You just gotta hang in the right twitter circles. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/15/22 5:58 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
Justjim75 said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Justjim75 

Yeah, ok, lol.

I know right. If it doesn't come from that weird pillow salesman's mouth it must be false.  

Pillow guy or not, it's false. It was not disarmed. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/15/22 6:21 p.m.

Fun fact. I live in pillow guys home town and drive past his old hq on the way to the gym.  I just like poking fun at him. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
6/15/22 6:33 p.m.

I get it, his persona is over the top but...

Fueled by Caffeine
6/15/22 10:14 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Because having lots of money is the only measure of a good human in America. 

If that's the case Putin and his oligarchs should be lauded. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/16/22 4:49 a.m.

Here's something controversial.  I don't think all convicted felons should be disqualified for life from legal possession of a firearm.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/16/22 6:37 a.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

Not controversial in my opinion. 

I think that the law should be written to say VIOLENT felons as there are a lot of felonies out there that are grey area like Marijuana possession in states that are now legal to carry and consume. If you have a previous felony in MI for possession of a now legal substance you still can not buy a gun.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/16/22 6:58 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Believe me there are condemnations about all GFZ's from 2A. They just don't burn down apartment buildings and loot stores. They instead write letters to their representatives providing facts and statistics hoping for positive change. 

remember, faceyspace and twitbook algorithms are actively trying to keep people in their own little silos  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
6/16/22 7:29 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

In reply to JesseWolfe :

I think that the law should be written to say VIOLENT felons as there are a lot of felonies out there that are grey area like Marijuana possession in states that are now legal to carry and consume. If you have a previous felony in MI for possession of a now legal substance you still can not buy a gun.

I am conflicted on this

Part of me thinks that if they are 'good enough' to be released into society then why should we remove/withold some of their rights? If they are still so dangerous they cant have a gun, should they be allowed out?

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/16/22 7:49 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

In reply to JesseWolfe :

I am conflicted on this

Part of me thinks that if they are 'good enough' to be released into society then why should we remove/withold some of their rights? If they are still so dangerous they cant have a gun, should they be allowed out?

A violent criminal that spent any number of years in prison for a crime, should through behavior rehabilitation and the parole process, should be able to redeem themselves.  Convicted felons deserve the right to have a firearm to protect themselves, legally and without fear of future punishment. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
6/16/22 7:59 a.m.

So, the guy that shot and killed two El Monte officers had not been allowed a gun since 2011, broke parole February '21 (drugs and possession of a gun) and then last week triggered a parole violation by beating his gf.

He was not picked up after beating his gf, he was allowed to wander around until he decided to shoot two officers with a gun he shouldn't have owned.

Not sure what my point is here, other than there seems to be a systemic failure of our legal system.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/16/22 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Marion county (Indianapolis) is in a wave of violence. Not just "gun violence"(stupidest label to date). But they have had a prosecutor with a "catch and release" plan in place for years. Violent felons are released into society after serving minor fractions of their sentences or plead down to "time served" etc. We've had multiple homicides in the last few months from early parolees that had been released less than a month previous. 

Even by the FBI's own statistics close to 70% of violent crimes are committed by repeat violent offenders. This is an easy fix. I've said this for years but of the 11,000 murders committed every year you could cut that down by 50% if you just left repeat violent felons behind bars. That's 5500 murders that would never happen because the people committing them aren't out in the public. 

Same prosecutor failed to file the paperwork for the redflag on the Fed Ex shooter last year. Report was made, police followed up and the prosecutors office didn't want to follow through because it wasn't a sure fire slam dunk case and it could hurt his re-election. That person was then allowed to purchase another firearm and kill a dozen people in a GFZ. I'm friends with a few IMPD officers and they are frustrated. They have arrested people onl to see them back on the street getting arrested again before they've even finished their shift and in many cases finished their reports. This is not how we curb violence.

IMO, these prosecutors need to be held just as responsible as the shooters. Same with the FBI, ATF et al that had these shooters "on their radar for some time". The tools are there, in place to help these cases from never happening. These elected officials are just flat out not doing their jobs. But instead of taking care of this low hanging fruit that could have high rewards we are going to come up with even more laws that won't be enforced. There are currently close to 22,000 laws and restrictions on the 2A across the US both at the federal and state level. Thats too many. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
6/16/22 10:00 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

So, the guy that shot and killed two El Monte officers had not been allowed a gun since 2011, broke parole February '21 (drugs and possession of a gun) and then last week triggered a parole violation by beating his gf.

He was not picked up after beating his gf, he was allowed to wander around until he decided to shoot two officers with a gun he shouldn't have owned.

Not sure what my point is here, other than there seems to be a systemic failure of our legal system.

The system is broken.

Instead of trying to figure out new gun laws, lets get what we got going right

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/16/22 10:01 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm still in the "Put in a Death Penalty Express Lane" camp. Make Capital Murder a Federal crime. Once convicted there is an automatic review and reinvestigation. Once confirmed by review the death penalty is enacted within 24 hours. 

States would no longer responsible for Capital Murder Detention. Prisons would be a lot less filled. Repeat offenders simply couldn't. And it will cost less than paying for people to sit behind bars. Plus (being cynical here) the government gets to kill people like they really really want to!

That's another conversation for another time though.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/16/22 10:36 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

To further that, legalizing certain substances and committing those sentences for minor possession charges etc would also free up space and resources for people that are actually a danger to society. 

Sadly these are harder than chanting "ban guns" and making new worthless, toothless laws.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
6/16/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm still in the "Put in a Death Penalty Express Lane" camp. Make Capital Murder a Federal crime. Once convicted there is an automatic review and reinvestigation. Once confirmed by review the death penalty is enacted within 24 hours. 

States would no longer responsible for Capital Murder Detention. Prisons would be a lot less filled. Repeat offenders simply couldn't. And it will cost less than paying for people to sit behind bars. Plus (being cynical here) the government gets to kill people like they really really want to!

That's another conversation for another time though.

With how flawed the justice system is, and how many innocent people get killed on Death Row, I can't see any way to agree to that without massive overhauls.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
6/16/22 11:08 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

Because having lots of money is the only measure of a good human in America. 

Where did I allude to that in even the most subtle of ways.  You and four others (as of this posting) seem to be big fans of projection.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rV5uOqeWlxrXpebnU9us4kQPrtP4ArJYELoUf2hwSttQZG53mAezlva0yJOZQPTL