RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/24/14 1:24 a.m.

No, not this kind of airbrushing models:

This kind:

And maybe this too.

I want a better airbrush than my extremely basic Badger 250 for weathering and painting my HO scale model trains and maybe some car models, too. It should be n00b-friendly and not break the bank. I know some of you here build car models, so let me know what you've got.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/24/14 5:28 a.m.

I've owned a really cheap Badger, and a mid-range Paasche. The Paasche was definitely a better made product. Beyond that, I can't offer much help. I found airbrushes to be really effective at misting on road grime along the bottom of stuff to weather them, but far too much effort for just about anything else. Cleaning them is a huge PITA, and if you don't keep them surgically clean, they won't work right. For weathering, I prefer to use chalks.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
4/24/14 7:03 a.m.

I'll second Paasche. Cheaper than Iwata or Binks, but just as good. Look for something that's double-action (press down for airflow, pull back for paint flow). Paasches are easily rebuildable, too.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/24/14 7:10 a.m.

I own a dual action Paasche and also highly recommend it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
4/24/14 7:19 a.m.

3rds for the Paasche. Everything else is just a toy.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
4/24/14 7:45 a.m.

Another vote for Paasche. I use the Millinuim model. Works good enough to lay down some smooth paint like this.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/24/14 8:52 a.m.

Paasche double action. That's what the pro's use.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
4/24/14 9:04 a.m.

I had an old Binks Wren I used to like, but that was quite a while ago.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
4/24/14 9:38 a.m.
Duke wrote: I had an old Binks Wren I used to like, but that was quite a while ago.

That was my first airbrush ever. It was really good for splatter effects or opening up the nozzle and drowning the car in clear, but the no control over spray pattern and airflow mid stroke really makes it a non-contender.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/24/14 7:14 p.m.

Sounds like I will be looking into Paasche! Thanks, guys!

ddavidv wrote: I found airbrushes to be really effective at misting on road grime along the bottom of stuff to weather them, but far too much effort for just about anything else. Cleaning them is a huge PITA, and if you don't keep them surgically clean, they won't work right. For weathering, I prefer to use chalks.

I've been practicing weathering on some old boxcar models with powders. I'd still like an airbrush for painting my freelance livery on locomotives. I've been looking up weathering videos on YouTube and there's a couple that say applying a light wash with an airbrush can simulate faded paint. I've also found some acrylic paint that works really well for simulating rust spots and gouges.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/24/14 7:42 p.m.

For christmas I got a Mojo airbrush which is a Mike Learn customized brush built at the Paasche factory then tuned by Mike. Phenominal brush. I haven't used an out of the box Paasche but if its anywhere near this then I concur with the decision. The Mojo is really designed around precision work so probably overkill for models but the fact that Mike chose them to build his brushes speaks well of Paasche.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
5/3/14 5:17 p.m.

I wanted to update this thread. I did not buy a Paasche airbrush, but I did get an excellent deal on a used Iwata Revolution CR hobby kit. It needed a good cleaning but otherwise it's ready for paint!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jDxIcEx5Tm1Ds11EXY7movLjNJFm0qNXfmyPa51iOB9FWV9JlYG9VflkVQEmYj30