stroker
stroker UberDork
9/10/21 8:59 p.m.

Looking for an "entry level" starter for my kids, to be followed by a "serious" knife with a good edge-holding steel to be purchased once they demonstrate they won't lose it.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/21 9:09 p.m.

Just bought my son (9) this: 

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-X/p/0.8231.26

Victronox has a lot of options and quality is good  This was about $50, and he got to pick it out himself from all the options at Cabelas.  

He had a year with a smaller, duller knife to prove that he could be responsible before he got to upgrade. So far, he loves it and is very proud to have earned it. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/11/21 12:20 a.m.

Is the 'Classic SD' not still every kids' first knife?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
9/11/21 12:46 a.m.

I've had one like this for ~25 years. My dad gave it to me for my tenth birthday as my first pocket knife. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/11/21 1:51 a.m.

Opinel No.6 is my favourite. 

Classic design, holds an edge great, not made in China and only costs $20 in Canadian kopecs.

If you lose it, you won't feel bad. 

I give them as gifts quite often, you can even buy them in a 10 pack if I remember correctly.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/11/21 5:34 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

That looks like something I might buy for myself, but I think I need a folder for the girls.  They don't carry purses, yet.  

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/11/21 7:54 a.m.

Victorinox Tinker or Super Tinker. Those scissors come in handy. Pick flavor color of scales you fancy.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/11/21 8:11 a.m.

+1 on the Tinker. It is the classic knife but with the corkscrew changed out for an imperial cross (almost Phillips). The latter is useful but not as much as back when "Made in Hong Kong" was a thing. I have had one in my pocket for decades.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/11/21 8:14 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Victorinox Tinker or Super Tinker. Those scissors come in handy. Pick flavor color of scales you fancy.

Came here to say this. Either that or the field master, or the Pioneer or Farmer if you decide you don't need Phillips head. Most important tool on it is the scissors. 

Also, consider a hunk-of-metal Leatherman, or the Skeletool. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/11/21 8:15 a.m.

A Leatherman Juice might also be a good starting point, if they would have fun with pliers.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/11/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

It's a locking folder.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/11/21 9:56 a.m.

Not a Swiss army style, but my Dad gave me a Schrade Old Timer as my 1st.  Several models to choose from now and can be under $20.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/11/21 10:22 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Not a Swiss army style, but my Dad gave me a Schrade Old Timer as my 1st.  Several models to choose from now and can be under $20.

That is what I now carry, although it is currently MIA.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/11/21 10:23 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Is the 'Classic SD' not still every kids' first knife?

I still have one.  The blade is sprung, so I no longer carry it, but it isn't far away.  

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) HalfDork
9/11/21 10:25 a.m.

My first knife, when I was 8, was a red "Pioneer."  Its the first knife posted, but without scissors.  I still have it 38 years later, holds a nice edge and the aluminum grip is very durable.  My son's  (9)  first knife is a Tinker, which works well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/11/21 10:32 a.m.

I have the Rally

small blade

bottle opener

Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic

wire stripper

nail file

screwdriver 2.5 mm

key ring

toothpick

tweezers

MSRP is $13.99.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/12/21 7:34 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the Rambler.  Same form factor as the Classic, just slightly thicker, and adds a Phillips screwdriver.  I carry it every day.

johndej
johndej Dork
9/12/21 7:49 p.m.

Oldest of 3 brother's who were all in cub/boy scouts. Everyone ended up with some form of the Swiss "SD", old timer, hand me down or something. On the Swiss side, the more functions the cooler of course.

From what I remember I had a bunch but a small single blade Buck knife (285 Bantam maybe?) was used the most.

I'll second the vote on the "rally" or "rambler' above also, don't know if I've seen either of those before but looks neat.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/18/21 7:43 a.m.

Beginner to see how they handle it? Get a Classic. It's small, comes in many colors/designs, and is cheap. They can show you their responsibility on it.

That said, Im a Leatherman man, Ive got FAR too many (40? 50?), and so I'd steer towards a LM. Maybe a Micro for cheap, or Style series.

Im saying these because of their low entry points, but still very quality. Then, you could move up to something more substantial.

In the LM line, there is the Juice series, which is more similar to a SAK.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jPYHEUEkttjKX8XxcNBHvXQoA1xdQLuzHYw52KuHqx6HLNNTliffjM0rIWAKWzf7