1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/24/11 7:56 a.m.

I don't mind tent camping when tent camping is the reason for the trip. I've done some back-country winter ski camping and that was fun.

However, tent camping when the camping is secondary purpose for the trips simply blows. In my case, it was mtn bike racing and few things sucked worse than going back to the site after 3 hours of DH practice then having the deal with changing and gettng cleaned up in a tent.

And that was when it was dry. If it rained, it just made it miserable. I quickly bought a conversion van which helped some (dry place to change and sleep), but it didn't have a shower or toilet. I like the idea of a small tow-behind camper, but without a shower or toilet, it just seems pointless.

Right now, my long term plan when I get back to racing is to get a goose-neck car hauler for my truck and then be able to set it up for either car hauling and/or camping.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
10/24/11 8:00 a.m.

Jim Gaffigan - Camping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
10/24/11 9:10 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Photobucket After years of tents I came up with this, no more crappy showers, has a private toilet, TV, dry bed, fresh coffee and a view of the track

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/24/11 9:25 a.m.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/24/11 11:37 a.m.

I grew up camping, started with tents then a Shasta trailor then dad got a motorhome. Also backpacked the Rockys some as a teen and tent camped w/friends when surfing. Grew up in SoCal. But after 20 years in the army and spending lots of time living in tents, I now would rather not if I can get around it. I do rent a camper or bunk in a friends camper nowadays. Holiday Inn is the way to go.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/24/11 11:43 a.m.

Very unrelated, except just the camping part.

When I was a kid, we moved out west, so had to spend time driving east to see everyone. One year, dad got a pick up with a camper in it. Not exactly a great way to move a family of 4, since either we were really crammed into the cab, or 2 of us stayed in the back.

Anyway, got something less than 10mpg, but spent little on camping.

2 years later, we did the trip in a '84 626, staying at hotels, eating in restaurants. Saved us a bunch of money that way. Funny how that worked out.

6 years later, I camped around the country in a tent. Month and a half living out of the back of a CRX-HF. That was a super cheap trip. To the OP- KOA's are pretty clean.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
10/24/11 12:21 p.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/24/11 1:18 p.m.

The place we stayed this weekend was a state park. We were in the Boy Scout camping area. Apparently it has the worst bathrooms. The other areas apparently have better facilities.

I have considered getting a pop up, but everything around here is either way more than I'm willing to spend or is a basket case. That and I really don't want another trailer to take care of.

For at the track camping, I can use my enclosed trailer. It's got A/C and a space heater does a pretty good job of keeping it comfortable. Back the car out and throw an air mattress on the floor.

I'll come up with a couple of designs over the next week or so and go from there. I foresee more camping in my future. It's cheap fun.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
10/24/11 2:11 p.m.

I think the tent itself makes a huge difference. We have this huge tent. It's almost 12' by 12' and a 7 footer could stand up inside of it. Small tents are no fun. As it always seems to rain, nothing like trying to avoid touching the edge of small wet tent while trying to get dressed. Never works. I think I'm going to rig up some sort of pvc frame for a solar shower this season. A bumper dumper is also a good solution for a bathroom.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/24/11 2:46 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

+1 on the big tent. I use a 9X14 Coleman that does a great job. If I can't stand up in it at 6'2", forget me using it. Set up time is less than 20 minutes by myself. With the wife and kids helping I can do it in about 10.

One of the guys camping this weekend was a grandfather using a tent his daughter gave him. He had never set it up before. That was the most complicated tent I have ever seen. Hell there were 9 poles in it, and it was a dome tent. It took 4 of the fathers including me damn near 30 minutes to get it stood up, and you still couldn't stand up in it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/24/11 3:21 p.m.

That's our tent behind the table. I can stand up in it. After years of the smaller dome tents, we call it "The Condo."

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/24/11 3:23 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Jim Gaffigan - Camping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqIpYhM6PE

Daily chuckle...thank you.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/24/11 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Boy Scout camp sites are always the worst at state parks. They're usually called primitive sites and only have pit toilets. If you at least had flush toilets, you were looking at luxury right there .

My tent is a Cabelas 10x14 foot tent that I can put up in about 15 minutes. People think it looks complicated, it isn't. Its techinacally a two-room tent. I'm 6'2" and I can stand up with room to spare. One of the best tents I've ever owned.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
10/24/11 4:12 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The place we stayed this weekend was a state park. We were in the Boy Scout camping area. Apparently it has the worst bathrooms. The other areas apparently have better facilities. I have considered getting a pop up, but everything around here is either way more than I'm willing to spend or is a basket case. That and I really don't want another trailer to take care of. For at the track camping, I can use my enclosed trailer. It's got A/C and a space heater does a pretty good job of keeping it comfortable. Back the car out and throw an air mattress on the floor. I'll come up with a couple of designs over the next week or so and go from there. I foresee more camping in my future. It's cheap fun.

Did you add insluation to the trailer to make it comfortable? The enclosde trailer sound like it's a potentially awesome way to go. It's either that or a slide in camper for the truck for me.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/24/11 4:25 p.m.

I looked at the Cabela tents, but decided to go with the Coleman because it had vertical walls and hinged doors instead of zip doors. Looks like it's discontinued now.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/25/11 8:11 a.m.

In reply to stumpmj:

I haven't added insulation to the enclosed trailer yet. It came with a finished interior and I would have to pull all the paneling to install it. It's on the list, but way down at the bottom. The 10k btu A/C I use does a fair job of keeping things cool as long as the temps aren't too high. The only place I sleep in it is at the track.

The biggest drawback is the damn thing is HEAVY. About 3000# empty. Add the car, golf cart, and all the other crap you need to haul to the track and it's pushing 7000# A comparable sized camper would be in the 2000# range. It will probably be for sale in the next couple of months.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/25/11 8:12 a.m.

Pictures of the enclosed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/25/11 8:19 a.m.

Tent Camping = Being wet and tired. Immutable law of tent camping, no exceptions.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/25/11 8:33 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: all you need is a saab 900 and a Toppola

One of my neighbors had a Saab Toppola. I almost drove off the road the first time I saw it parked in his driveway.

How about one of these:

http://www.firebox.com/product/3644/VW-Camper-Van-Tent

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/25/11 8:57 a.m.

I would love a saab topolla. It would be great fun to bring to a meet

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/26/11 7:44 a.m.
Woody wrote:
mad_machine wrote: all you need is a saab 900 and a Toppola
One of my neighbors had a Saab Toppola. I almost drove off the road the first time I saw it parked in his driveway. How about one of these: http://www.firebox.com/product/3644/VW-Camper-Van-Tent

Love the VW tent. Not enough to pay what they want, but it's cool.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/26/11 7:49 a.m.

I made some progress on the design the other night while the GRM site was down. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to use my existing trailer due to the height of the sides. I refine the drawings and post them up for critique and suggestions.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
10/26/11 11:30 a.m.

What do you tow the enclosed trailer with?

I've seen those setup with really cool removable beds and things.

Personally, I like the idea of a van or RV because it allows you to sleep wherever you can park, and unless someone is paying attention to the fact that it doesn't move for 8 hours, its difficult for someone to tell if your sleeping or just in at the local WalMart.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/26/11 11:43 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

This, but I'm too tall to sleep in it comfortably unless I take all the seats out. That makes it hard to tote the kids.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/26/11 12:50 p.m.

How well does the van tow that trailer? I'm curious as I've been day dreaming about a similar set-up (I still miss my van). Since you mentioned the loaded trailer is pushing 7000 lbs, I'm guessing not so great?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x0TLxKBbnkWIY5U4ZW8mXfpCTT8lha1Ll47wtkA8ldco9pF4rAsIgAC5KwaPwENJ