1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/9/11 5:25 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I love hummingbirds, but flying Mammals that use echo-location to catch bugs in the dark mid-flight? There's a reason no super-heros are driving around in the Hummingbirdmobile.

Robin + batcopter = hummingbird

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/9/11 8:00 p.m.

I have never noticed many bats around here, but ironically saw several during this evening's walk. Was it because of this thread or because I read The Dark Knight Strikes Again this weekend?

alex
alex SuperDork
5/10/11 12:18 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote:
alex wrote: BTDT. Now I'm in the process of filing several anonymous complaints with the Citizen's Service Bureau to try to make them think the whole neighborhood's on their case. Oh, and I'm trying to get the whole neighborhood on their case, too.
b Dont forget to run every public officials name into the ground on Craigslist rants raves

Naturally.

Actually, in my fair city's case, getting things done involves going to hang out at the bar the alderman owns.

rat45
rat45
1/18/12 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

You can follow some Bats Facts

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/18/12 7:45 a.m.

Bats have few needs, but are selective about where they live. Build or buy one of these.

So in five years when the property next door is cleaned up and you have a thriving bat population, are going to see a "How the hell do I get rid of BATS!" post?

http://www.eparks.org/wildlife_protection/wildlife_facts/bats/bat_house.asp

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
1/18/12 7:52 a.m.

I don't know how selective bats really are. At my house, a couple sleep behind the gutter downspouts. A few others have taken residence in the space below the window A/C in my garage (it's in the wall of the garage). Good thing they can't get in the garage or in the wall. I had thought about a bat house but they seem to be doing just fine.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
1/18/12 8:11 a.m.

Our local Jack in the Box restaurant installed a new sign on a pole in front of their building. The new design has an open top and shoots light straight up which seems to attract bugs of all sorts...then the bats discovered the bugs and now one of our busiest intersections has what appears to be a tornado swirling above this sign most every night.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/18/12 8:22 a.m.
egnorant wrote: Our local Jack in the Box restaurant installed a new sign on a pole in front of their building. The new design has an open top and shoots light straight up which seems to attract bugs of all sorts...then the bats discovered the bugs and now one of our busiest intersections has what appears to be a tornado swirling above this sign most every night.

I would love to see a bat tornado.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
1/18/12 8:38 a.m.

Pics or video or it didn't happen

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
1/18/12 9:05 a.m.

just an update to the OP... we had a derelict and abandoned house pulled down by the city these past few months.. we got the neighbors to start complaining about rats coming from it.

after all.. "it's for the children" can work both ways

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/18/12 9:08 a.m.

In for vids of the bat tornado!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/18/12 9:45 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote:
egnorant wrote:
I would love to see a bat tornado.

Right side @ 0:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFUdA6_yIM&feature=related

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/18/12 10:13 a.m.

Is there anyplace in Dallas that has a mess o'bats? I will be there march 30-31 and would like to see the bat tornado in person.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/18/12 10:26 a.m.

I haven't heard anything about the DFW area. Austin, OTOH

http://www.videocityguide.com/austin/listings/congress-bridge-bats

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/18/12 10:46 a.m.

As for the collapsed, abandoned, junky property - make friends with someone with a bulldozer. Deal with problem. Apologize afterwards

My parent's place has bats living in the church next door. It was always fun to watch them darting around at night. They don't fly like other critters.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
1/18/12 11:01 a.m.

Just chuck some chorine tablets from your local pool suplpy place in the neighboor basement. Sweet sweet bug murder...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
1/18/12 11:38 a.m.

bats can't glide. i don't know why i think that's so awesome, but i think it just the same.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/18/12 12:04 p.m.
Keith wrote: As for the collapsed, abandoned, junky property - make friends with someone with a bulldozer. Deal with problem. Apologize afterwards

I guy in my town took down a derelict property in that manner. It didn't turn out well for him.

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
1/18/12 3:28 p.m.

I used to live next to an apartment building that had an attic infested with bats. Every evening at dusk it looked like somebody was shoveling them out of the attic vent. This would go on for about an hour every night, it was quite entertaining. The animal control expert that was hired to remove them told me that he estimated there were 10,000 bats living in the building.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/18/12 3:51 p.m.

I love it when zombie threads come back to life with no apparent explanation. Especially this one, since I exercised restraint the last time and did not tell a story on a coworker. I figure it must be time now, or else I wouldn't have been given a 2nd chance:

Several years ago JG got a bat house in an attempt to comBAT (sorry, couldn't resist) his own mosquito problem. He actually managed to attract a bat to the vicinity, but it showed no interest in JG's adorable little house (which even had a picture of a bat on it, so the creature certainly couldn't claim it didn't know what it was for). JG decided to take matters into his own hands, literally, and captured the bat, then tried stuffing it into the bat house and closing off the door for a bit so the poor thing would have no choice but to accept its fate and, I dunno, start shopping for IKEA furnishings for the place or something. Know what? It didn't work!

My favorite part of this story has always been that he still seems surprised that the bat hauled arse the first chance it got.

Margie

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
1/18/12 3:56 p.m.

That is hilarious, since he didn't get bit. Bat bites are not good.

Did the bat house ever attract a bat?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/18/12 7:12 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: That is hilarious, since he didn't get bit. Bat bites are not good. Did the bat house ever attract a bat?

Not a single one. The squirrels finally tore it down and we never put it back up.

jg

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/18/12 8:57 p.m.

That was very funny. I was going to gently chide Margie about not picking on you. I remember when she told us all about you crossing your legs....ah, never mind. I think that time she was paying you a compliment.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/26/12 12:54 p.m.

Had to revive the thread because these guys know how to get rid of bats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8ACBiwIyE&feature=player_embedded

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
1/26/12 2:51 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: That is hilarious, since he didn't get bit. Bat bites are not good. Did the bat house ever attract a bat?
Not a single one. The squirrels finally tore it down and we never put it back up. jg

Damn racists squirrels

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aa0EYkMaEJkSAZ92tdrsE4Z669BLr0q2vkkT7SAZoMwl2s74Qvdv2B8iRhpv2Mmk