dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/15/22 2:57 p.m.

So it's looking like we might not be able to take our flight home tomorrow morning. We're in the keys now but will be returning our Turo rental tomorrow morning in ft Lauderdale. Does anyone have a reliable car they need moved from south Florida to central Ohio? Otherwise we'll just get a one way rental. Figured it was worth a shot!

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
6/15/22 3:13 p.m.

What happened? Did you miss your flight? You guys ok?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/15/22 3:50 p.m.

We're ok but my wife got a nasty ear infection and the urgent care here says she can't fly until it's cleared up which will be days. Fortunately I don't have anything specific to do until Monday. But it's gonna be a long few days. 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
6/15/22 4:15 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in Gainesville, not far from I-75, if you need anything when in this area.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
6/15/22 4:20 p.m.

Hope she gets better soon. 

If you guys need anything let me know. I am about 45' north of FLL in West Palm. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/22 5:05 p.m.

Hertz used to have a summertime deal where they often had too many cars in Florida and not enough elsewhere so they would incent with cheap rates if you would take the cars north.  Of course, this was all pre-covid.  I searched Hertz and currently no-such offer...

But, Avis has similar.  Pick up in FL and return the car north (with Pittsburgh being the closest to you) and cars are $39-$59 per day.  Or said another way, no BS one way charge.  You might look into it if driving back sound like an adventure you'd want to try.  Try to see if an operator will allow you to drop in Columbus for same deal?  

Same deal at Budget which is owned by Avis

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
6/15/22 5:32 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They should b able to do Columbus for a similar deal. This is the discounted rate I get through my wife's work at Avis. one way FLL to Columbus, OH. Unfortunately they only offer sedans. 

If you cant get anything reasonable pm me. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Killer deal! 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/15/22 5:37 p.m.
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/22 8:29 p.m.

Buy something cheap and rust free and sell it for a profit when you get home?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/15/22 8:33 p.m.

I didn't find quite $29 a day but managed $45/day for a Camry "or similar" one way to Columbus. I did spend some time browsing Craigslist but realistically just don't have time. A nice gx470 in Miami really tempted me. But we just need to get the hell home. Camry for $183 is gonna do it. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/16/22 8:54 a.m.

Damn, all these cars I'm seeing in FL on our Enablers Facebook group I've been ignoring...

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/16/22 9:29 a.m.

dculberson,

Sorry to hear about your wife's ear infection.  Those things are utterly brutal.  Hope you had a good time on your trip!!

I wish the rental locations would offer a similar deal for heading south.  I'm in Atlanta and am driving to the Disney area tomorrow.  I'm not sure my sons' HHR which I'm borrowing is going to be big enough to transport everything we need to.  One way rentals heading south are like $400...booo

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/16/22 7:16 p.m.

And of course they didn't have the Camry but we ended up with a Jeep Compass. I'm not hating it as much as I should. It's getting 30+Mpg on the highway and has Apple car play which is nice. We've made it to our first stop which is a not so nice quality inn near the Ichetucknee River and we're going tubing in the morning. Then on to Knoxville where I'll stay at my cousins farm and maybe drag them tubing or canoeing Saturday. Then on home and return the car Sunday. Hopefully tomorrow goes as smoothly as today did. 

We had a blast on the keys but had a lot of challenges. Flying in the time of covid is awful. We should have just driven. It would have saved us money and sickness and hassle. But we've still had a blast and my kids loooooved the keys.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
6/16/22 8:31 p.m.
dculberson said:

And of course they didn't have the Camry but we ended up with a Jeep Compass. I'm not hating it as much as I should. It's getting 30+Mpg on the highway and has Apple car play which is nice. We've made it to our first stop which is a not so nice quality inn near the Ichetucknee River and we're going tubing in the morning. Then on to Knoxville where I'll stay at my cousins farm and maybe drag them tubing or canoeing Saturday. Then on home and return the car Sunday. Hopefully tomorrow goes as smoothly as today did. 

We had a blast on the keys but had a lot of challenges. Flying in the time of covid is awful. We should have just driven. It would have saved us money and sickness and hassle. But we've still had a blast and my kids loooooved the keys.

Have fun tubing! That is such a great river to tube!!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/22 9:29 a.m.

Made it home Saturday night. There were a couple hairy moments with the kids in the car of course but overall it was pretty seamless. The lane keeping and adaptive cruise were nice to have on a long trip. Everyone's health is doing better and we're pretty much back to normal this morning. What a trip! 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
6/20/22 10:11 a.m.

Glad you made it home!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IxB6htIgWMecU5Lg337VBaxWVsS1Oac4sKgiAU9zx7ZqmtVmeJrSSKQ7E8go1kHd