Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/21 9:12 a.m.

So, I am...building a toy. Certain pieces of the toy are available as a precoated chameleon- like the top one, there. The rest of it save some guide pins and such, will be polymer black, cerakoted black, etc. I would however, like the magwell to be chameleon as well, because shiny objects. 

Nearest I can tell, pvd coating is the only reasonable way to get this finish out of something that's not titanium. 

That's where grm comes in. There are plenty of suppliers that offer custom work at what would appear to be reasonable prices, but it's the internet and I can't trust anyone. I'd rather send a piece to someone here than a random goober, if that makes sense. 

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/21/21 12:12 p.m.

Duracoat has a chameleon finish, ChameleonCoat

It's a a fairly resilient finish, but it's not as tough as Cerakote, not sure I'd want to Duracoat a high wear area like a magwell. 

There are chameleon pigments like Gun Candy, you can add to Cerakote clear though, for DIY that's the route I'd go.

Slightly off topic, have you bought from L2D before?  Happy with their products?

I've got 2x G17 and 1x G19 P80 projects in the queue.  I still need slides and barrels for 1x of the G17s and the G19, been waiting on AIM or Spinta Precision to get stuff back in stock since November.  For the other G17 I got a Swenson barrel and Burris/Vortex cut slide from Midway when they were on clearance for cheap.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/21 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Lee :

I'll be honest, this is my first foray into this area. A friend of mine who has massive experience in this department has done me a mitzvah and is helping me learn. I always wanted to build my own, and with the way things are going, it may become significantly more difficult to build in the future. Given what I know of his builds and knowledge, I assume they're good. 

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/21/21 7:01 p.m.

I'm new to P80s too (assuming that's what you're doing) I've done the Billet 80 AR thing, really a waste of money vs. buying 100% but a fun DIY project nonetheless.

I'm not a big Glock guy, I have a gen 3 G22 I don't care much for, a guy at work needed money and everyone that knows me, knows if they have a gun to sell I'm their sucker.

I wanted a smaller frame and cheaper to feed 9mm, G19 but not enough to do anything about it.  P80s were on my radar, but I didn't really pursue them until after Lombardo decided she didn't like them and raided P80.  I went from none to 3 in < 1 month. blush  It's mostly Black Friday and Cyber Monday's fault.

What all other parts are you using/planning on using?  Everyone has been complaining about lower parts availability and stuff on Gunbroker is way over priced.  KM Tactical has had generic LPKs in stock regularly though and according to YouTube you can polish them up to be pretty useable.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/22/21 11:17 a.m.

I know it's the l2d barrel pf940c lower... Eventually going to end up with what is effectively a glock 19 gen iii. I'm also looking at an osprey45 and some other fun stuff. 

I'm not the hugest fan of glock either, but as this will likely be my only handgun investment any time soon, I wanted something as easy to repair, handle, and operate as possible, and glocks are that. it's an ak in a pistol, essentially. Never gonna be great, but always always always gonna be good. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/21 4:05 p.m.

Update, it is a p80 lower. Still learning. Just came in today. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/21 7:32 p.m.

Magwell shopping time. Lower came on today, and it is SHORT. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W3uv7m88e70PQViAKPooIX9kob8Eo385DAKnCBYS5QVGe117yrkS9ItskIix1caT