1 2 3
fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
3/9/09 8:43 a.m.

With all the food and exercise related posts currently around, who's lost some weight so far this year?

I started on a diet plan just after the first of the year and am down ~33 pounds so far. My wife has been doing the same plan for about 7 months and is down ~65 pounds. I'm not so much concerned about my weight per se, just want to be healthier than I was. I'm now at 188 down from like 221 (I'm 5-10 - 11-ish, average build). My goal weight is around 170-175 but I'm not caught up on the numbers, I'd like to add some muscle mass once I get most of the fat off. Needless to say I'm reading up on all those links just posted in the Grassroots Exercise thread.

One more thing, anyone have any links to studies or article on diet soda and it's effects on you? I'm a diet coke addict (about 4-5 a week), OK maybe a "light addict" by some standards, but I've heard ancedotal stuff about it and would like to see something(s) in writing I guess.

Thanks!

mtn
mtn Dork
3/9/09 8:53 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: One more thing, anyone have any links to studies or article on diet soda and it's effects on you? I'm a diet coke addict (about 4-5 a week), OK maybe a "light addict" by some standards, but I've heard ancedotal stuff about it and would like to see something(s) in writing I guess. Thanks!

This post is in writing

A quick google search comes up with this: http://www.mcmanweb.com/diet_coke.html

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I was a junior in high school, I stopped pop completely. Anything thats carbonated now (with the exception of my favorite frosty beverage) makes me feel sick. And I got back on the stuff for about a month, it really makes me feel nasty overall.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
3/9/09 9:02 a.m.

WTF is pop?

mtn
mtn Dork
3/9/09 9:05 a.m.

pop, soda, coke, sody-pop. whatever.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
3/9/09 9:13 a.m.

I was 172 in January. I started watching what I eat, and working out 3 times a week. Now I'm 159. 150 is my goal. I'm 5'7" My first race is in 5 weeks, and I want to hit the ground running. I did nothing last year, and paid for it all season. In fact, I was 160 last winter and wanted to lose 10lbs. I gained 12

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/9/09 9:36 a.m.

I've lost 11 in the past 3 months, after the Doc told me that my blood sugar is a bit high. Not high enough to need meds, but higher than they'd like to see. So, fewer sodas (though unfortunately, some of them have been replaced with diet sodas), and generally better eating. My sugars are better, blood pressure down, weight slowly dropping. Heck, I'm down to 250, and would like to see 200 even, though I like losing it slowly, as when I lose it quickly, it just comes back quicker.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/9/09 9:36 a.m.

202 down from 230 last year.. Just by eliminating foods that I have a allergy or intolerance to.

Thank you alcat test. http://www.alcat.com/

Duke
Duke Dork
3/9/09 9:47 a.m.

I'm doing 35-45 minutes of Wii Fit most mornings and trying to eat less, but I'm not on any official diet. So far I've lost about 5 pounds in the first month.

I am trying to cut down on how much boredom/convenience eating I do, and laying off the fries.

P71
P71 Dork
3/9/09 11:09 a.m.
ignorant wrote: 202 down from 230 last year.. Just by eliminating foods that I have a allergy or intolerance to. Thank you alcat test. http://www.alcat.com/

You seriously paid $400-$1500 to have some boffin tell you that you have an "intolerance" to some foods? Seriously?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
3/9/09 11:16 a.m.

It depends on the reaction of your body. Many allergic reactions are not readily apparent and more than likely his health insurance paid for the tests.

I'm trying to lose weight, but mostly I'm focusing on getting to the gym and getting exercise on a regular basis. I figure getting into a good habit will help and I can adjust/try some things from there.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/9/09 11:28 a.m.
P71 wrote:
ignorant wrote: 202 down from 230 last year.. Just by eliminating foods that I have a allergy or intolerance to. Thank you alcat test. http://www.alcat.com/
You seriously paid $400-$1500 to have some boffin tell you that you have an "intolerance" to some foods? Seriously?

umm... no. I paid a $20 copay. I did it through my regular doctor who prescribed the test, holy crap he's an MD, due to tons nearly uncontrollable asthma, allergies and sinus infections that were off the charts. By following the diet plan of the ALCAT test(mostly), I have avoided antibiotics for nearly a year. I haven't had prednisone since august 08 and I have tons more energy. It was the best money I've ever spent and stopped cold a downward spiral of antibiotics and allergy medicines that has been going on for many years(like 20)... Zithromax barely would touch one of those infections. My medical file is about 6 bibles thick and I have to tell doctors what they are prescribing me usually won't work. They would get indignant, but I was always right. One time, I went with what the doctor prescribed me. 10 days later I was in the hospital with perioribital cellulitus so bad pus was coming out my tear duct. A week in the hospital, a levaquin drip(which I hate) and about 4 CT scans later I was OK. The infection was pretty close to getting into my brain. It was fun.

So.. before you judge me, why don't you read about the test. The test reacts your blood with 150 different foods, looking for the white blood cell reaction. So some food is treated like a mild infection inside my body. The allergic reactions that they test for are not readily apparent, like my severe reaction to most tree nuts.

Look as a guy who about 5 years ago was 12% body fat and able to dead lift 400 lbs.. I went to a guy who could barely move and gained weight just breathing air. I had 2-3 weeks of feeling well before I'd feel sick again for another month. By avoiding certain foods, I feel great.

Here's the list of the big ones I can't have any more..

mangoes, Lemons, Yeast, beets, Cherry, Corn. weird huh?

now go troll someone less informed.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
3/9/09 12:47 p.m.

no yeast? does that mean no beer?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/9/09 1:15 p.m.

I just checked and I'm down to about 195. I've been pegged at at least 200 for the last two years or more. I've been jogging ~1.5 miles (it's increased to that from 1 mile) at least every other day since sometime in December.

It's not much, but I'm going for the long-haul health improvement. My goal is probably about 180.

What's cool is that I'm down right now (Actually, I think I can vary 5 lbs in a day, so I might not even really be down, but I haven't seen over 195 in a while) which is typically my "bulky season." And with activity I generally slim down a bit in the summer. That hasn't happened the last few years, though. Whether it's because of my desk job or that my metabolism just finally grew up and quit tolerating the constant influx of calories is anybody's guess.

Clem

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/9/09 2:03 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: no yeast? does that mean no beer?

yeah it stinks.. but It's true. I drink a beer and I get an asthma attack. triple distilled vodka or high quality scotch does the trick now.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/9/09 2:30 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
yeah it stinks.. but It's true. I drink a beer and I get an asthma attack. triple distilled vodka or high quality scotch does the trick now.

I guess you probably know what you're getting since you're in tune to it, but it seems like most of the typical hard liquors now are primarily grain alcohol blends. And if it's grain and in the US, I assume it's corn until proven otherwise. Of course maybe by the time it becomes alcohol, it's a different issue for you, allergy-wise. Again though, I'm figuring you're pretty in-touch with it and have this all figured out.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/9/09 2:38 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
ignorant wrote:
I guess you probably know what you're getting since you're in tune to it, but it seems like most of the typical hard liquors now are primarily grain alcohol blends. And if it's grain and in the US, I assume it's corn until proven otherwise. Of course maybe by the time it becomes alcohol, it's a different issue for you, allergy-wise. Again though, I'm figuring you're pretty in-touch with it and have this all figured out.

True.. I drink a lot of grey goose.. It's from made with wheat. Now, I will say that there are some wonderful micro batch vodkas out there made from wheat as well.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
3/9/09 4:18 p.m.

220 right now down from 280ish. 6' tall on the dot. my car got quicker in the quarter with no work.

in 2001 i cut out pop, fast food. immediately dropped 40# in 2 months. then got down to 205. a couple years ago i started taking prescribed nexium for acid reflux and ballooned back up to 250 - the stuff eliminated my "you're full stop eating" reflex. i switched to prilosec now i can't eat too much or i get sick so it's been helpful in losing the weight again.

i've not eaten beef in almost 8 years - i was having issues with the antibiotics that carry over from the cows to the meat product so i quit that altogether. i mostly eat chicken, turkey, and fish with the occasional pork product in the mix and my cholesterol test came back with a big smiley face on it.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/9/09 4:38 p.m.

Try only eating 100 grams of carbs per meal. You won't believe the amount in many foods. A row of Oreos are near 300 grams o carbs! A can of Coke is about 80.

I'm down to 170, but even better, a lot less fat. You'll feel like you're starving for the first week or so, but trust me, you'll loose weight.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/9/09 4:56 p.m.

Only about 5 lbs this year for me. Lost 60 in 8 months last year. And another 20 about 2 years before that when I was at my highest of 250. I am getting close to the bottom end of the normal weight range for my height (6'1" 165) though so I just gotta be patient and try to build more muscle to cut the rest of the fat. Kinda getting frustrating, I want to be skinny, not a meathead. You may run into the same problem I am having, you can't spot reduce fat, it comes off evenly so you get skinnier all over but the fat places still look fat you are just smaller all over. So you may have to hit the weights sooner than you think to mold things to the way you want. You will find the human body is very moldable though.

There are a lot of folks doing weight loss related vlogs on youtube, myself included, and they can be quite helpful if you have the time to watch them. You get a lot of interesting ideas and it's kind of a nice community you can join so you don't feel all alone in your journey.

I gave up most soda about 3 years ago, only had 1 or 2 a week for a while, I had my last Coke in December of 07 and don't miss it much. Being a southern boy I do drink a lot of sweet tea though and don't think I could ever quit that so giving up soda was not hard, I always preffered tea to soda. Its just those few backwards places where the tea is just bad when I have to get water, when in the past I would have had soda. It's hard to quit but like anything else the cravings go away. Soda in general is bad for you whether its diet or not, it is all chemicals.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
3/9/09 6:05 p.m.
ignorant wrote:

That's rough, now you've just got classy drinks left.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
3/9/09 6:45 p.m.

I started doing Atkins after the Rolex, I am down around 20lbs with about 30 to go, I felt like E36 M3 at 250, 200 should be good if not perfect for me

captainzib
captainzib Reader
3/9/09 6:46 p.m.

I lost 20 pounds since September, but I think I'm relapsing my fatassedness.

fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
3/9/09 9:14 p.m.

I fluctuate 30-35 lbs. continuously. Ever since I got out of the Marines, I have gained and lost, gained and lost, gained and lost...............

But, the best diet (popular here in the South) is the "all you want" approach. Yeah, you can have all the lettuce, coffee and crank that you want and still lose weight.

I am down 14 lbs. in the past two weeks. However, a "horseshoe" at the Corner Pub in Springfield, Ill. with my good buddies Bill (along with his beautiful family) and Steve (and his mom) temporarily stopped the loss.

-Les

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/9/09 9:18 p.m.

I've gone from 345 to 320 since October. Even though I had to put more holes in my belt it still doesn't seem like much.

alex
alex Reader
3/9/09 9:38 p.m.

I lose about 7-10 lbs a day in water weight. Does that count?

I am getting started on that bodyweight exercise, though I'm barely able to do more than two days a week with my new construction job. If I could stop drinking after work, all this new physical activity might actually do me some good aside from making my hands and forearms really sore. But the job site is so close to a really good bar...and my boss/friend is my ride to/from work...and he goes there every day... And on and on.

O! Sweet hopped barley nectar, why can I not resist your siren song?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cNxEf4SUYLDq33BHhK1Sys1P4fQ3mRAuuGUATdRgO8oHnlFq630qqaaoF66pcsj3