1 2 3 4 5
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/9/13 1:57 p.m.

I should probably lose a little weight. I play soccer and ultimate frisbee year round and I am starting to add running (other then sports to the mix) but I don't eat very well.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/9/13 1:58 p.m.

We will see! I think 170 is realistic, but I think BMI at my height shows anything over 160 to be out of normal range. I realize there will likely be a ton of people to come in and bad mouth that number, on the flip side, I think everyone is just used to seeing people SO BIG, that even overweight looks "normal" now.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
10/9/13 2:04 p.m.

I've been picking up what you guys are losing, feel free to take it back. I'll even deliver it!

I've gained 15 lbs in the last 2 yrs. Lost 10 when I was remodeling my house, gained it back and kept gaining. It's all gut too. Odd thing thing is, even when I was little, I always had an oddly swollen belly despite being 'under weight' at the time. Now I'm 170lbs, 5'10".

ransom
ransom UberDork
10/9/13 3:10 p.m.

I've lost about five pounds recently, which I attribute to not eating until I'm uncomfortably full, which is stupid, but when you A) like food a lot and tend to make/order stuff you enjoy eating, is not trivial, and B) as ludicrous as it is, I feel like I'm wasting money when I order food and don't eat it all, despite the fact that stuffing in the last 200 calories of that sandwich because it's there doesn't make me any happier, or save me any money. If I'd been able to order 65% of the sandwich, that would have been the answer...

Also back on the bike a little more, but I doubt enough to have made a difference yet. I have a favorite loop of about 20 miles with a little over 1300 feet of climbing. There's something poetic about losing weight by pedaling that weight up a hill...

Was about 195, now about 190... Would love to get to about 170. Kinda figure my 155-160 from when I was 30 isn't coming back, but I also have a little more muscle mass. At 6' tall I was perhaps skinnier than ideal...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/9/13 4:03 p.m.
B) as ludicrous as it is, I feel like I'm wasting money when I order food and don't eat it all, despite the fact that stuffing in the last 200 calories of that sandwich because it's there doesn't make me any happier, or save me any money. If I'd been able to order 65% of the sandwich, that would have been the answer...

Yeah man. It's a tough habit to break...both from my parents growing up poor and making us clear our plates when we were kids, and from BEING poor and literally starving on occasions in school. But you put it really well; it's not saving you any money. You already bought it. There's no taking it back. I never really thought of it that way.

I've got to tune mama up and have her stop making so damned much food. Too much to eat, but often not enough for leftovers. But it's tough; with her being prego, I'm definitely not trying to rub the "I'm losing weight" thing in.

Good news is, aside from my recently halted drunk snacking rampages, we've eaten pretty healthy the last several years. Chicken, Fish, Pork, tons of veggies, and the occasional burger or steak. Lately, we've gotten into the habit of taking the kiddo out to Waffle House at lunch on Sunday, but I'll order two eggs and a side of bacon...instead of feeling compelled to order the "All-Star" because it's the most food per dollar.

Sundays are tough. My eyes see a football and my brain screams "BEER!!! DRINK ALL THE BEER!!!"

I've been kind of looking at it as a "cheat day" I guess, but that doesn't mean I eat and drink as much as I want. Just that I'll have a small lunch and maybe 1 or 2 more beers than normal. Still, that adds up to six or seven hundred extra calories, so I'm trying to cut that E36 M3 out as well.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/9/13 4:33 p.m.

I am down 68 pounds from 16 months ago. My sister talked me into joining Weight Watchers and it has helped me quite a bit. I eat much less than I used to and eat better. I still have a problem with junk if it's in the house so I make sure I don't buy much but most weeks I do pretty good.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/9/13 4:35 p.m.

I can hardly wait to get my BMI done tomorrow for a health insurance credit. I love being called obese.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
10/9/13 4:37 p.m.

Lost about 35 pounds--was 245 or so at Easter, now at about 210. Did it by cutting out soda and sugary drinks, eating 100% whole wheat bread, cutting back portions especially at breakfast (was a regular 3-4 egg, sausage, hashbrown eater--now protein shake and a banana) and started riding the bike a bit.

I was a world-class swimmer in college and weighed about 180...I'm 45 now and at least feel/look in the same ballpark as then.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/9/13 6:03 p.m.

Changed my diet and lost a quick 25+/- but have hit a wall. I've never exorcized in my life but I know that's what it will take to get me down to 180ish. It is nice to be able to stay comfortably under 200 though.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/9/13 7:07 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Changed my diet and lost a quick 25+/- but have hit a wall. I've never exorcized in my life but I know that's what it will take to get me down to 180ish. It is nice to be able to stay comfortably under 200 though.

Good luck finding a chick possessed by demons. I've been trying my whole life!

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/10/13 6:52 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: I've been kind of looking at it as a "cheat day" I guess, but that doesn't mean I eat and drink as much as I want. Just that I'll have a small lunch and maybe 1 or 2 more beers than normal. Still, that adds up to six or seven hundred extra calories, so I'm trying to cut that E36 M3 out as well.

There's nothing wrong with a cheat meal. In fact, a lot of personal trainers and sports nutritionists will strongly recommend you have a regularly scheduled one. If you don't, the physical and mental stress will have negative effects. How often you have that cheat meal varies on your personal situation, could be once a week or once every two months, but it's a good thing to build in. For me, it's once a week. I lift weights religiously, eat very clean...not as clean as Mrs. Klayfish, she's scary ripped...and take care of myself. However, every Friday night is my cheat meal. During the day on Friday, I'll eat less than I would every other day. I have a salad for lunch, just greek yogurt and protein powder for breakfast, etc... After we put our kids to bed, I grab whatever I want from the local pizza joint and throw a full tray of fries in the oven and go to town. I have no idea how many calories it is, because I don't count or care. Best guess is it's 1800 or so for my meal. I look forward to it every week, and I'm no worse for it. If I was preparing for a bodybuilding contest, I'd have to cut it out for a while, but I'm not. I work really hard and the cheat meal is a great "reward".

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/10/13 7:15 a.m.

I'm down 40 pounds, feeling pretty good

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/10/13 7:48 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I've been kind of looking at it as a "cheat day" I guess, but that doesn't mean I eat and drink as much as I want. Just that I'll have a small lunch and maybe 1 or 2 more beers than normal. Still, that adds up to six or seven hundred extra calories, so I'm trying to cut that E36 M3 out as well.
There's nothing wrong with a cheat meal. In fact, a lot of personal trainers and sports nutritionists will strongly recommend you have a regularly scheduled one. If you don't, the physical and mental stress will have negative effects. How often you have that cheat meal varies on your personal situation, could be once a week or once every two months, but it's a good thing to build in. For me, it's once a week. I lift weights religiously, eat very clean...not as clean as Mrs. Klayfish, she's scary ripped...and take care of myself. However, every Friday night is my cheat meal. During the day on Friday, I'll eat less than I would every other day. I have a salad for lunch, just greek yogurt and protein powder for breakfast, etc... After we put our kids to bed, I grab whatever I want from the local pizza joint and throw a full tray of fries in the oven and go to town. I have no idea how many calories it is, because I don't count or care. Best guess is it's 1800 or so for my meal. I look forward to it every week, and I'm no worse for it. If I was preparing for a bodybuilding contest, I'd have to cut it out for a while, but I'm not. I work really hard and the cheat meal is a great "reward".

Yeah, the wife is going "boot camp" at a place here 4-5 times a week, and the trainers have told her the exact same thing. One cheat meal a week is very important, and have told her that if she really gets to her fitness goal, 2 may or may not be OK.

Their only rule was not to have more than 2000 calories for the cheat meal.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
10/10/13 7:50 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Changed my diet and lost a quick 25+/- but have hit a wall. I've never exorcized in my life but I know that's what it will take to get me down to 180ish. It is nice to be able to stay comfortably under 200 though.

If you can find a way to exercise, it does work.

A while ago, I did the same as you- starting at 230, got down to 200, and that slid up to 210 when we stopped doing aerobics. Starting that back up, got down to 195 and just stalled. For years.

Then started running. Good lord, that did the trick. In about a 18 months of running, I was down to 173- which was my lowest, and I was primed to run a marathon. Alas, injuries stopped the major working out- and vacations where food is a feature has gotten me back up to 185. I'm biking now, which is ok, but I know running is a more efficient way to burn calories, in terms of effort vs time. And I like running now- it's a nice way to see places- whether if be a nearby neighorhood that you quickly drive through, or a senic place you are visiting. For the gearheads here- there's a half marathon that starts and ends at the start/finish line of the Monza track. How cool is that?

Anyway, don't get too bummed that you've stalled- stay on the diet- in the long run, it will make a big difference- especially if you can find an excersize that works for you.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/10/13 7:52 a.m.

Is there a "gaining weight" thread? I've only been able to max out at 127.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
10/10/13 8:14 a.m.

I sound like the "before" fast eddie. I am same height, but recent events have pushed me to 230. I have dropped and gained 20 pounds 3-4 times in the past few years, and tried all kinds of diets, but everything is only temporary. I need to eat less, exercise more, and find some way to build willpower. I have zero. Less than zero. A long-term lifestyle change just eludes me.

But, if this guy can do it, there is still hope for me!

Yes, the man v food guy lost 60 pounds. I eat like he used to, so perhaps I can do the same.

stroker
stroker Dork
10/10/13 10:16 a.m.

I'm down 20, so it's just 60 to go!

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
10/10/13 10:30 a.m.

I'm down 5 ... hoping it continues ... a little cardio, a little weight lifting, and swimming a half mile

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/10/13 10:48 a.m.
I lift weights religiously

Funny: I just brought some dumb bells into work this morning. Any recommendations for a good 1/2 hour or so workout for biceps, triceps, & forearms?

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/10/13 10:57 a.m.

I would recommend 3 sets of 8-12 reps of bicep curls and triceps. You can also throw in shoulder press and dumbell raises. Hold the dumbells and extend your arms in front of you keeping the arms straight. Then down and do the same thing but to the side. You can also do dumbell chest fly.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/10/13 10:59 a.m.

For the forearms just do dumbell wrist curls. I'd say 3 sets of 8-12 reps is good for all of the above exercises.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/10/13 11:10 a.m.

For the forearms, take a dowel about 1.5-2 feet long, drill a hole in it, stick a rope through it that is about 6 inches off the ground when held even with your shoulders, and tie weight to the end of the rope. Holding your arms straight out, no bend at the elbows, roll the bar to bring the weight up to the top. Repeat. It is for the wrists, but it much less targeted than a standard wrist curl as it also works some upper arm muscles, elbow muscles, and back muscles.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/10/13 11:22 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Is there a "gaining weight" thread? I've only been able to max out at 127.

127? N Sperlo...meet food. Food...meet N Sperlo.

What kind of weight do you want to gain? i.e. do you want it to be mostly muscle? If so, you need to lift weights and eat. I'd stay away from the weight gainer supplements. They're calorie dense, but full of other crap too. Proteins, healthy carbs and unsaturated fats.

Back when I first really got into lifting and eating clean, I weighed around 160lbs. After I started, I quickly dropped down to about 150. That was years ago. I'm now holding steady in the low 170's. The 20+ that I put back on are mostly muscle. I'm pretty happy with where I am, so I eat/lift more for maintenance than growth now.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/10/13 11:28 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
I lift weights religiously
Funny: I just brought some dumb bells into work this morning. Any recommendations for a good 1/2 hour or so workout for biceps, triceps, & forearms?

Why just your arms? Lots you can do with dbs. I don't do anything specific for the forearm, those muscles are usually worked with other exercises I do anyway. For a 30 minute db workout, you can do: curls, overhead tricep extensions (arms straight up over your head, bend at elbow and lower weight behind your head), db bench press, fly, squats, front shoulder raises (arms at your side and raise straight forward...like a zombie), lateral shoulder raises (raise arms to the side, making a "T"), regular shoulder raises (straight up), Arnold raises (straight up, but start with them at your chest, palms facing in, then go out and up while rotating to palms out...best to Google this one) bent over rows, crunches (sit ups with the db on your chest...or if it's not to heavy hold it right behind your head), shoulder shrugs, lunges...just to name a few things.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/10/13 11:30 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Why just your arms?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EB3Q87NSd5YffJT2zrY1826h640pnOx5OPB9d34UC38xmO6WNszL1xxNAiDd8w3B