2 3 4 5 6
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/10/13 9:17 p.m.
Why just your arms?

Again, my knees are like bags of buckshot. Also, getting on the floor (where glass lives) at work is not really an option. Will do on the others though. Wife and I were lifting constantly before baby #1...but using dvd's that I paid no attention to. Reason for specifying forearms & triceps: Those are the motherberkeleyers that would hurt the worst the next day, and therefore the areas I figure need the most work.

Fritzsch: Skateboard for 10+ years. Lemme know how your knees are treating you when you hit 35.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/11/13 6:47 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Why just your arms?
Again, my knees are like bags of buckshot. Also, getting on the floor (where glass lives) at work is not really an option.

Get with an ortho to see what you really can and can't do. I've had knee problems since the 80's, had surgery on both of them in the 90's. Before I started anything I went to my ortho to ask what I can and can't do. My knees now are better than they've been in years. They still hurt, and always will, but they're much stronger. I'm also on schedule to have hip surgery over the winter, so trust me I understand the leg pain thing.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/11/13 6:59 a.m.

Got to work this morning to see my wedding ring came off in my sleep. I've only lost ~12lbs or so in the last 3 months, but I have to suspect I've lost many more inches. Even when I was a few pounds lighter at the end of last year my ring still fit well.

Yay for consistent exercise.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/11/13 11:22 a.m.

my biggest problem with losing weight is work.

They supply a meal for us at work. When I am not working, I slowly inch my way down into the 170s (I was 183 this morning) but a week of work, I can be closer to 190. I watch what I eat too, mostly just a small piece of chicken or pork, some rice, and a soda (the water is nasty in AC) but somehow that is enough to make me gain weight at work..

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/11/13 11:39 a.m.

Are you able to just pack your own food?

A lot of people also make the mistake of thinking that starving themselves will make them lose weight. Short term, you'll lose a few pounds. But long term it'll make it very hard. Your body will go into conservation mode since it's being starved all the time and it'll hold onto every calorie it can. Metabolism slows. You want to burn more calories than you take in, but you can't be at a constantly high deficit. Varying it can really help too. I was on vacation for 2 weeks earlier this summer. I said "Berkeley it" and ate anything and everything I wanted. I only gained about 3lbs, but my metabolism spiked. I came home and went back to my normal nutrition. I lost about 5lbs the next two weeks...and I was really hungry all the time (I resisted eating anything more than my normal nutrition...except for a few extra veggies).

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/11/13 2:27 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

about 20 years ago my knees were gravelly. that's about the time i started bicycling. my knees are no longer gravelly, and in less than two weeks i'm running a marathon. in other words:

Ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a mufuggin bike!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/11/13 5:06 p.m.

My knees are toast. Torn ligaments, no cartilage and ACL reconstruction years ago. I was on pain medication so I could put off the knee replacement as long as possible. Then I started racing motocross. I was hoping I'd be OK, but not expecting the pain to almost completely go away. I've been off the pain medication for about 5 years now.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/11/13 5:14 p.m.

at my worst I was about 180ish lbs. a couple years back.

This year at least once or twice a week my job will involve lots of walking outside (marking utilities). I generally get wrapped up in the work and don't really eat much those days when I am outside, just drink lots of water and maybe have some snacks. Also this year when I do pack a lunch, switched from junky snacks with lunch to stuff like cheese, crackers, and fruit to supplement a gatorade and sandwich.

For the past few months I cant really even get above 160 lbs. Im a scrawny berkeleyer, I dont lift bro or work out otherwise.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
10/11/13 5:28 p.m.

I'm down 10 pounds from a month ago. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure then. That and a trip to the ER, thinking I was having a heart attack, did wonders for my motivation to be healthier.

I've also quit smoking. Not sure what that is going to do to my weight, but I figure the smoking will probably kill me faster.

My heaviest is 279. At that weight I hurt all over. I had gotten down to 245, but had drifted back up to 270.

I'm sitting at 260 now with a target weight of 225.

It's going to be a long road with quitting smoking at the same time.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/11/13 6:24 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to poopshovel: about 20 years ago my knees were gravelly. that's about the time i started bicycling. my knees are no longer gravelly, and in less than two weeks i'm running a marathon. in other words: Ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a mufuggin bike!

Tryin to get up on that! All the cool kids are doin it. With a treadmill (and a pimpy loaner bmx) collecting dust in the basement I'm just leary that I'd be throwing money at another "thing." That said, there's a pimpy Vilano single-speed at the consignment place, and two of my homeboys just did a race up here (single speed) and won the class.

I CAN'T (won't) do like mama and do the stupid "Lift this. Now run in place. Now pretend you're punching someone" DVD crap. I CAN (will) get into anything competitive (footballl, racing bikes, fighting.) Gotta get that figured out.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/11/13 6:28 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'm down 10 pounds from a month ago. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure then. That and a trip to the ER, thinking I was having a heart attack, did wonders for my motivation to be healthier. I've also quit smoking. Not sure what that is going to do to my weight, but I figure the smoking will probably kill me faster. My heaviest is 279. At that weight I hurt all over. I had gotten down to 245, but had drifted back up to 270. I'm sitting at 260 now with a target weight of 225. It's going to be a long road with quitting smoking at the same time.

If it makes you feel any better, you like you're just built like a berkeleying brick E36 M3 house. Not some big fat ass.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/11/13 6:44 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: My knees are toast. Torn ligaments, no cartilage and ACL reconstruction years ago. I was on pain medication so I could put off the knee replacement as long as possible. Then I started racing motocross. I was hoping I'd be OK, but not expecting the pain to almost completely go away. I've been off the pain medication for about 5 years now.

believe it or not.. repetitive work will regrow cartiledge. Not once it is gone.. but people like runners have really good cartiledge because it "likes" being abused like that. It's like a muscle, use it or lose it.

Bicycling helped me a lot. I didn't lose any weight with it, but my thighs really fill out my jeans now

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
10/11/13 7:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I'm down 10 pounds from a month ago. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure then. That and a trip to the ER, thinking I was having a heart attack, did wonders for my motivation to be healthier. I've also quit smoking. Not sure what that is going to do to my weight, but I figure the smoking will probably kill me faster. My heaviest is 279. At that weight I hurt all over. I had gotten down to 245, but had drifted back up to 270. I'm sitting at 260 now with a target weight of 225. It's going to be a long road with quitting smoking at the same time.
If it makes you feel any better, you like you're just built like a berkeleying brick E36 M3 house. Not some big fat ass.

Lucky for me, I'm well past the point of caring about looks. I just don't want to stroke out or have a heart attack at 46, which I will hit in 6 days.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
10/12/13 9:29 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Are you able to just pack your own food? A lot of people also make the mistake of thinking that starving themselves will make them lose weight. Short term, you'll lose a few pounds. But long term it'll make it very hard. Your body will go into conservation mode since it's being starved all the time and it'll hold onto every calorie it can. Metabolism slows. You want to burn more calories than you take in, but you can't be at a constantly high deficit. Varying it can really help too. I was on vacation for 2 weeks earlier this summer. I said "Berkeley it" and ate anything and everything I wanted. I only gained about 3lbs, but my metabolism spiked. I came home and went back to my normal nutrition. I lost about 5lbs the next two weeks...and I was really hungry all the time (I resisted eating anything more than my normal nutrition...except for a few extra veggies).

"Conservation" or "starvation" mode is largely a myth these days. Have a little reading: Click me. The reduction in metobilic rate seems to come primarily from the natural reduction due to a reduction in body mass.

That said eating at such a large deficit will most likely result in a loss of willpower, and quickly.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/16/13 9:31 a.m.
Also: Starting weight: 235.6. Current weight: 223.6.

This morning: 220.8. SO CLOSE to the 15 lb. mark! Started lifting weights at work this week. Feelin the burn!!!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/16/13 10:48 a.m.

poopie, if by BMX you mean 20" wheels, do not ride that. seat too close to crank, knee angles horrible, truly not good for someone of your height. get on CL and get a used adult-sized mountain bike for $100.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/16/13 10:49 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
This morning: 220.8. SO CLOSE to the 15 lb. mark! Started lifting weights at work this week. Feelin the burn!!!

when you break 200, i'm taking you out for a hooker!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/16/13 11:34 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: poopie, if by BMX you mean 20" wheels, do not ride that. seat too close to crank, knee angles horrible, truly not good for someone of your height. get on CL and get a used adult-sized mountain bike for $100.

TRUST ME, I know. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I've got the guys I'd be riding with on the lookout for me.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/16/13 11:35 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

Hopefully by breaking 200, I won't have to pay for it anymore!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/16/13 12:35 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

hopefully after the hooker, you won't be feelin' the burn!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/24/13 8:22 a.m.

Stalled a little over the last few days, but hit 217.6 this morning. 2 lbs. away from 20! I've got to dial the alchohol back a little more. There is halloween candy in my house. I have not looked at it.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/24/13 8:37 a.m.

I've honestly been way too busy to get serious about this. I hate that excuse, because it is so stupid. But at least the things I am busy with are work, golf, refereeing hockey, playing hockey--I'm probably on the ice about 8 hours a week. 2 of those playing, and minimum 4 officiating college games. I wore some pants that I hadn't put on in months, and they weren't any tighter. So that is good.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/24/13 10:01 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

when you hit 180 i'll take you out for a live hooker!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/24/13 10:08 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: when you hit 180 i'll take you out for a *live* hooker!

It always starts with a live one... but just like fresh lobster... we all know how it ends.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/24/13 9:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: when you hit 180 i'll take you out for a *live* hooker!
It always starts with a live one... but just like fresh lobster... we all know how it ends.

You eat LIVE lobster? You sick berkeley.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yfc493J6Ff4EjHhdMRkMReidzkB1HpldylbejyRZ9q6ZFfprIiZFUkhsjV3bYxWh