1 2
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/15/22 12:35 p.m.

There are lots of Turo insurance stories online if you want to spend a few hours getting frustrated. There is a story of a renter being told by their personal insurance that it doesn't cover Turo, so the renter bought the Turo insurance. Then after they wrecked Turo succesfully collected from the renters personal insurance, which charged the deductible, then Turo used the remaining Turo insurance to cover the rest of the high estimate, and charged the renter that deductible as well. There are so many weird insurance stories related to Turo that it made me feel uncomfortable about renting from them.

The flip side is I rented a car from Hertz online to drive home from Knoxville recently. I signed up for insurance, put my credit card in, and checked in online. I went to the airport counter and signed some forms and picked up the car. The next day I turned the car in and was charged less than expected. It turns out the airport counter where I picked it up had written a new agreement without insurance. I was glad to save money, but after scaring the car enough that it triggered the collision alert while driving to win through rush hour Atlanta traffic, I think the insurance was a good idea. I don't think they were being malicious, just careless.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/15/22 2:59 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

Tesla aren't the best for a longish trip cause you have to add in the charging time for stops.  Daily use though they are awesome.  If you were local I would take you for a spin

It's about 200 miles with a supercharger in the hotel parking lot so it should be fine to go the whole distance one-way I'm assuming

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
3/16/22 8:09 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Should be ok but a lot of factors play into it.  How cold is it? Are you going over 65 mph?  Do you have the heat or a/c on?  Are you doing hard acceleration runs?  You can keep an eye on your battery percentage and maybe slow down or adjust your driving style if it gets too low. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/16/22 11:48 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Should be ok but a lot of factors play into it.  How cold is it? Are you going over 65 mph?  Do you have the heat or a/c on?  Are you doing hard acceleration runs?  You can keep an eye on your battery percentage and maybe slow down or adjust your driving style if it gets too low. 

There's a stop in-between that I could recharge a bit and I plan on asking the owner a lot of questions. It's Montana so speed limit is 80mph anyway.

It's kind of a lark, going to see one of our favorite bands thought it would be fun to drive something new there. Plus I'm gonna be upgrading our solar system a lot and I'm wondering if I should size it for an EV too

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/16/22 2:36 p.m.

I was a host, briefly, and rented out my 2011 Ford F-150. Never had any issues beyond one renter getting a parking ticket in DC, but he admitted it on his return and Venmo'd me the $50 fine. I had to pay it because it was linked to my license plate.

As a driver looking to rent, I'd consider it, but I find it risky. I have some friends who have had very positive experiences and get to rent cool cars wherever they go. ATS-V, 911, F-Type sort of things. 

I also have a local automotive media friend who is being raked over the coals with a Bronco Sport rental on Turo, the owner is claiming damage that appears to be on a different Bronco Sport than the one Will rented:

https://jalopnik.com/this-cautionary-tale-has-scared-me-off-renting-a-car-th-1848492688

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G91SWHSAdJRuysM3lu5D4WxhChJnwn6IbL7vFOUlXlRDUGesBlBvEcJgx8NiXZfx