Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/5/21 8:18 p.m.

About 15 years ago I converted Susie from an auto to a manual.  One of the steps of that is to knock the block off plate where the clutch rod passes through out of the firewall.  For some reason I stuffed it in my pocket afterwards.  Since then I've carried that little piece of firewall around with me.  Some times I'll end up putting it down somewhere, I'll stop carrying it for a year or two, but I always find it again at some point.

I found it again today after cleaning.  Looks like it will join the change in my pocket again for another year or two.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/5/21 8:23 p.m.

I still have the Certicard from the 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II hardtop that my grandparents bought new. I inherited it, drove it for a couple of years and sold it when I was 18 because the gas tank leaked and I couldn't find a replacement. I was a Mustang guy and I didn't even know that there were people restoring Mopars at the time. It's the only car that I regret selling. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/5/21 8:23 p.m.

All of my job interviews in the past 15+ years and my wedding were done wearing a VW Rabbit rabbit tie tack, does that count?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/5/21 8:32 p.m.

One of the "hero cards" from the Targa Newfoundland in the Targa Miata. A gum nut (reminds me of living in Oz) and a manual stopwatch (which got some screen time in an upcoming reality show) in the tow vehicle. 

wae
wae UberDork
10/5/21 8:39 p.m.

I don't carry it around, but I keep an oil filter gasket on my desk.  It's the gasket that stuck to the block on the motorhome which caused oil to spray all over the headers which caused a giant orange fireball as I was driving down the road.  I used to check for the old gasket every time but never had one stick.  So I figured that was an old wives' tale and stopped checking.  That gasket is to remind me what happens when I decide to take shortcuts.

Also on my desk is the key from what I still think was my all time favorite car:  My 1986 Subaru GL wagon called "Squinty".

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/5/21 8:43 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

About 15 years ago I converted Susie from an auto to a manual.  One of the steps of that is to knock the block off plate where the clutch rod passes through out of the firewall.  For some reason I stuffed it in my pocket afterwards.  Since then I've carried that little piece of firewall around with me.  Some times I'll end up putting it down somewhere, I'll stop carrying it for a year or two, but I always find it again at some point.

I found it again today after cleaning.  Looks like it will join the change in my pocket again for another year or two.

Wow, that's amazing. You actually carry change!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/5/21 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Sometimes.  I go through phases.  

Really helps when you have some semi-rusty small part.  Throw it on your pocket for a week, comes out real nice.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/5/21 9:08 p.m.

When I was a teenager my dad gave me this Japanese "traffic safety charm" as a souvenir from a business trip to Tokyo. Now that I think about it, it was probably because I just bought the RX-7 and it's my 2nd car.

It's been hanging on the lighter for at least 15 years. There used to be a red paint/enamel background but it chipped and fell out years ago.

Obviously it works since I've never had a wreck with it. wink Spun out on track, but that's not traffic.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/5/21 9:46 p.m.

My favorite car I've owned was the 1966 Pontiac Bonneville Consort (short wheelbase Hearse/Ambulance combo). Bought in 1996, sold 2009. I miss it awfully. I didn't halloween it up with skulls or anything but I had a badass key chain skull. I still have it and only (relatively) recently got a vehicle cool enough to use it on.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
10/5/21 10:51 p.m.

I kept the "Marauder" script emblem from my dad's car when he sold it out from under me. Had that for over 20 years until some bastard stole it robbing our house. Still pissed. And still looking for the car.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/6/21 3:19 a.m.

I still have a set of door seals for the '69 510 I haven't owned since 1986, so I.. I guess so. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/6/21 6:06 a.m.

I used to take a part from the old car to put on the next one. It started with a set of air shocks. For years it was a set of stainless steel screws for the license plate, but when I started owning multiple vehicles I lost track of which pair of screws were the originals. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/6/21 6:09 a.m.

I still have the shop and owner's manuals for the Mk1 Ford Fiesta I owned (the first of four). I keep them just in case I get another one. I'd like to, but also don't need a car you can't get parts for. So, having a tangible book to page through will have to do. I can remind myself what a PITA some of the jobs were (front motor mount springs to mind).

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/6/21 7:53 a.m.

I have the spare wheel from my old AMG and don't think I'd sell it for anything. It's a 16x9 Enkei mesh wheel that I've never seen anywhere else. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/6/21 9:13 a.m.

Dunno if I'd call it my favorite car, but it's one I remember fondly.  I have two factory wheel covers from my 1973 Mazda RX-2 hanging on the wall in my garage.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/6/21 10:32 a.m.

I have some Scion swag from the days of my first xB in late 2008 (an '06).  That car helped me make some local friends I still hang out with when possible.  And I never know when I'll have another, bought the white '04 a few years ago.  Bought a BRZ that could have been an FRS under the right circumstances...

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/6/21 12:56 p.m.

I also have the gas cap lid from my first rallykar, the codependent beeyotch, Mazda 323 gtx. That's the one I made a sprayboooth for in my driveway, to do my one and hopefully only paint job. That gascap lid came out great. Looks factory. Couldn't say the same about the rest of the car if I'm perfectly honest... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PIeuxGwBcAmEBBXvbyRSLpGE95WCgiVOKflIna1AR1xw4lDYqlIg8BXfsxf9Ktf6