8 9 10 11 12
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/20 2:05 p.m.

How much yeast are you using?  I use 1 tablespoon of commercial (1 lb bag) baking yeast.  Every bread machine I've had for the past 25 years called for and/or used one tablespoon of yeast.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/26/20 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) :

2-1/4 teaspoons per Margie's recipe.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/20 9:15 p.m.

So, try Dr.Hess' recipe:

1 cup whole wheat

2 cups white

2 tbl oil

1tbl yeast

1 teaspoon salt

2 tbl sugar

12.5 oz water

Push "Go."

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
4/26/20 9:47 p.m.

The paté fermenté method I had been using yielded amazing results 4 out of 10 times. I however got tired of the 6 bad loaves so I am back to the basics albeit at a lower hydration to form more loaf like structures.  Looking forward to dipping hunks of this in the white bean and sausage soup that is just about done simmering. 

daeman
daeman Dork
4/29/20 10:36 p.m.

Pizza is kinda bread right?

Pepperoni pizza made with leftover dough after making manoush za'atar a few days ago.

Here's the manoush

Then you give it a liberal squeeze of lemon juice and some chilli powder, and either roll it up or hold it in half. I used to live near a Lebanese bakery and normally had it once a week, bit since I've moved there's nothing even close that's near by. Figured it was time to see if I could make my own, for a first go, I've had worse from other Lebanese bakeries, so I'm pretty stoked.

buenavides1
buenavides1 New Reader
4/30/20 1:48 a.m.

Tuna Empanada

Dough:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cold butter chunks
1/3 cup cold water
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar

Tuna Filling:
1 cup boiled carrot chunks
2 large pieces of boiled potato chunks
1 can spicy tuna, slightly drained
1 can regular tuna, slightly drained
5 tbsp mayo
Salt and pepper
1 cup cheese, cut into small squares

Egg Wash:
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp milk or water

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
5/8/20 7:57 p.m.

Moxnix made bialys for breakfast tomorrow.

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
6/8/20 10:39 p.m.

Very nearly had to start a "Learn Me Sourdough Starters" thread because my Yeastie Boys were still acting very sluggish after several weeks of feedings, but recently they miraculously perked up again and forced me to make my first ever sourdough loaves today when they started to overflow from their jar. I'm pretty proud of them for a first attempt, and looking forward to trying the Dutch oven method next time for an even better texture.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
6/22/20 11:10 a.m.

i tried and failed a couple times making a sourdough starter in the last few months, and my wife took notice and got me a starter from King Arthur for Father's Day, along with some of their all purpose flour.  worked awesome.  i don't have a proper proofing basket yet and my knife failed to cut properly so it didn't spring up like i hoped but it still worked out pretty well.

made my first 2 loaves yesterday.  now i understand why some people only bake bread for a living...its a lot of work.  really enjoyed it though and i can't stop eating it.

we also made some sourdough waffles with the discard.  best waffles i've ever had.  fluffy, crispy, kinda sweet flavor.  i can't go back to anything else now.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/10/20 6:50 p.m.

Added slightly more water and changed my rise times.

Now I am getting better texture.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/10/20 6:58 p.m.

I'm just gonna leave these here :) No sourdough, not a fan of the taste. I'm also making my own hamburger buns simply because they taste awesome.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/13/20 12:02 p.m.

discovering one of the best things about sourdough discard is sourdough pancakes.  they're legit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/13/20 12:12 p.m.

Now that I have a minute...

So my last pictures were basically the "overnight white" bread from Salt Flour Yeast Water or whatever it's called. I've found that letting it rise even longer works well, the bubbly dough was about 15 hours in. Otherwise it's just a matter of following the recipe carefully including the water temperature. In my oven, it works well if I give it a few extra minutes with the lid still on the dutch oven before pulling the lid off. I've started baking one loaf right away and tossing the other shaped dough in the fridge where it continues to slowly rise for a couple of days before I get around to baking. Then it's a matter of reshaping, proofing and baking. 

I LOVE this kind of bread so I'm very much enjoying it. A loaf lasts us a very short time.

The pizza may have been done with one of these leftover chunks of dough, I've tried that at least once. We've tried them both on a pizza stone and in a skillet - that's the latter in the pic. Gives a different texture to the bottom.

I was also making bloomers from one of Paul Hollywood's recipes and it's a lot quicker, but disappointing after the big crunchy boule. The hamburger buns are "floury baps" from Hollywood, basically the same recipe as the bloomers but with a different rise/proofing technique. I'm never buying hamburger buns again....

NBraun
NBraun Reader
7/13/20 12:30 p.m.

First try and from scratch cinnamin rolls. They could've used a couple more minutes in the oven, but they were absolutely delicious. Excited to try again.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/13/20 2:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Now that I have a minute...

So my last pictures were basically the "overnight white" bread from Salt Flour Yeast Water or whatever it's called. I've found that letting it rise even longer works well, the bubbly dough was about 15 hours in. Otherwise it's just a matter of following the recipe carefully including the water temperature. In my oven, it works well if I give it a few extra minutes with the lid still on the dutch oven before pulling the lid off. I've started baking one loaf right away and tossing the other shaped dough in the fridge where it continues to slowly rise for a couple of days before I get around to baking. Then it's a matter of reshaping, proofing and baking. 

I LOVE this kind of bread so I'm very much enjoying it. A loaf lasts us a very short time.

The pizza may have been done with one of these leftover chunks of dough, I've tried that at least once. We've tried them both on a pizza stone and in a skillet - that's the latter in the pic. Gives a different texture to the bottom.

I was also making bloomers from one of Paul Hollywood's recipes and it's a lot quicker, but disappointing after the big crunchy boule. The hamburger buns are "floury baps" from Hollywood, basically the same recipe as the bloomers but with a different rise/proofing technique. I'm never buying hamburger buns again....

Flour Water Salt Yeast is just, like, the best! I've been baking from that for a year and it's a great combo of easy instructions and high-precision, full-on bread nerdery. Can't recommend it enough.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/13/20 3:59 p.m.

Keith, you're bread looks amazing. I'll have to check out the website.

I've got an experiment in the oven ATM. The last time I made banana bread, I only had four bananas. The recipe calls for three, and I wanted to double it.  After reading a few suggestions for substitutions on various sites, I used a half cup of apple sauce to substitute for one banana, and a half cup of Dannon Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt for the other one.

For my banana bread I have been using this recipe.  

I recommend his website and youtube channel.

I use more nuts than directed, usually about 70 grams, and also add an equal amount of dark chocolate chips. It was amazingly good with the yogurt and applesauce. I also add some cinnamon to the batter, usually about a heaping tsp (I like cinnamon, so  I kind of wing it).

What I have in the oven right now is a version made with no bananas. It has about a half cup of yogurt, a cup of applesauce, and about 2/3 of a cup of shredded carrot. We'll see what happens.

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) HalfDork
8/11/20 7:53 p.m.

First shot at sourdough bread.  No yeast - just starter, flour, water, and salt.  Very tasty

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/30/20 7:09 p.m.

Keiths Floury Baps. Damn these were good

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/30/20 8:12 p.m.

I know, right? Yummy.

We gave this a try. Pretty tasty but not as robust as the chunky loaves. 

I also tried some whole wheat at Janel's request, out of the Flour etc book. Not bad for a first try but it needs something else. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
10/30/20 10:31 p.m.

Taking a stab at making some bread in the morning.  Just screwing around, basically.

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/1/20 4:38 p.m.
stroker said:

Taking a stab at making some bread in the morning.  Just screwing around, basically.

It sucked.  I'll let it rise more next time.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/20 6:18 p.m.

Italian bread

so good

i killed my sourdough starter.  Not sure if because i forgot about it or because i was sick of having a 3rd child to take care of

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/12/20 7:01 p.m.

second attempt at kings Hawaii loafs. The first time I followed the instructions and had raw centers. This time, I kept them in 25 extra minutes to hit 190f internal. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/12/20 7:41 p.m.

Oooo, those look yummy. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/13/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Where are you?  I could go for a slice of that right now!

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GzzKQdVTrUlBjtSimA5vukd2kumQe81qGSnN1UJStklqEYoKjHvUyE17Jwi6SLH2