GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
7/13/11 3:51 p.m.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/realestate/unspecified/unspecified/1263142.html&refer=news

not mine....

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
7/13/11 4:15 p.m.

I'm not sure it's got enough space for cars

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/13/11 4:18 p.m.

Holy crap. That's my dream house, right there.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/13/11 4:25 p.m.

That seems pretty cheap, actually...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/13/11 4:27 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: That seems pretty cheap, actually...

Yeah, I was thinking that, too, even with the extra $100,000 it would take to finish out the residence. It's almost enough to convince me to move to Vermont.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/13/11 4:30 p.m.

So, why is Terry selling it? He took great care and built it just for him, but yet didn't finish it and is now selling it as a fairly big project. What is the deal? Seems like a lot of space for the money. Anyone know of a job in Bennington, VT?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/13/11 4:37 p.m.
Duke wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: That seems pretty cheap, actually...
Yeah, I was thinking that, too, even with the extra $100,000 it would take to finish out the residence. It's almost enough to convince me to move to Vermont.

Looks like wiring is the only biggie... i bet a GRMer could finish it for way less than that.

Josh
Josh Dork
7/13/11 5:53 p.m.
T.J. wrote: So, why is Terry selling it? He took great care and built it just for him, but yet didn't finish it and is now selling it as a fairly big project. What is the deal?

Might have something to do with the fact that he passed away 9 years ago.

Man, do I wish I had an extra 300k lying around. It's pretty close to Bennington College, I bet I could design and fit out a few apartments for students/professors in that space and end up living for free in the remainder. Looks like an amazing site.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
7/13/11 6:24 p.m.

Now, if I just had the cash. I'm sure the lure of snow would get most everyone else on board.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/14/11 5:44 a.m.

Manchester's a nice area. Then there's the old addage "The last 10% of any project takes 90% of your time and money".

Years ago I would be dragging Mrs. 914 to Vermont for a nice breakfast or romantic overnight in a B&B, then "Oh look honey, lets go see this open house".

Not today ....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
7/14/11 7:31 a.m.

Its gonna take more than 100k to finish that house unless you are the consumate handyman. It does look like the garage is sprinkled and some wiring has been done there.

We just did an environmental assessment on a 29 acre parcel in horsey country that had an 8,000 sf house with eight garage bays. Also had a long carport type building wih enclosed garage space and two farily new commercial buildings. Bank had it listed at a little over 600k. Well worth that. The buyer got it for 400k. The former owner was into illegal gambling and got busted for bribing a nearby sheriff. The feds went in an ripped down a lot of sheet rock looking for a hidden stash of money.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
7/14/11 7:42 a.m.

Even unfinished I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal. That sounds like a half mil property when finished, depending on location.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/14/11 7:57 a.m.

The house cost isn't the issue. What are you going to park in that showpiece, a rusty old Civic?

Reminds me of when I wanted to put glass-front cabinets in my kitchen. My wife said "Why? So you can show off your McDonald's Batman Mugs???"

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
7/14/11 8:17 a.m.

well yeah those batman mugs are collector's items! Only issue I have with the house is Vermont - not sure I would get along with that state at all..

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/14/11 8:22 a.m.
Josh wrote:
T.J. wrote: So, why is Terry selling it? He took great care and built it just for him, but yet didn't finish it and is now selling it as a fairly big project. What is the deal?
Might have something to do with the fact that he passed away 9 years ago. Man, do I wish I had an extra 300k lying around. It's pretty close to Bennington College, I bet I could design and fit out a few apartments for students/professors in that space and end up living for free in the remainder. Looks like an amazing site.

oooh, I didn't know that. So, has this shell of a building been sitting vacant for almost a decade?

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
7/14/11 8:46 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Manchester's a nice area. Then there's the old addage "The last 10% of any project takes 90% of your time and money". Years ago I would be dragging Mrs. 914 to Vermont for a nice breakfast or romantic overnight in a B&B, then "Oh look honey, lets go see this open house". Not today ....

Do you mean you don't take your wife on a romatic overnite or thet you don't look for houses ?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
7/14/11 9:05 a.m.

I sent a link to this house to my g/f a few days ago... "thanks for depressing me..."

IIRC, Hemmings has a job opening, although I doubt the pay would cover that mortgage...

Wally
Wally SuperDork
7/14/11 9:09 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Years ago I would be dragging Mrs. 914 to Vermont for a nice breakfast or romantic overnight in a B&B, then "Oh look honey, lets go see this open house". Not today ....

Good move. The worst vacation I ever took was to a B&B in Vermont.

gabrispeed
gabrispeed New Reader
2/18/20 5:37 p.m.

Ohh,I m looking a warehouse...:P)

bluej
bluej UberDork
2/18/20 5:45 p.m.
gabrispeed said:

Ohh,I m looking a warehouse...:P)

Oh, are you looking for canoe storage?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/18/20 5:47 p.m.

Wtf is with all the canoes? Did China release a flotilla of them to escape Wuhan?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vAnflnxBClwHkJXHhZc2sH6PMyOYElxGfGZgVIu1VMHMwfXKo0mCR3PZqknjNwFK