T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/4/20 8:46 p.m.

I am looking at a possible move to Waynesboro, GA area. Augusta is the closest civilization. I've been to Augusta one time briefly. Spent the night in a motel on my way home last year. Initial impressions were fine. I'd anticipate I'd want to live closer to Waynesboro because Augusta itself would be a 45 minute commute.

Just a potential place as I am looking for a new gig and they are hiring down there. Looking to be there about a year only. Nothing too solid other than a guy I know telling me he can get me an interview.

I figure some folks here live or were raised in that area. What can you tell me about it. I don't golf, so not interested in the Masters, but my father-in-law would certainly be when he came to visit.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
6/5/20 1:47 a.m.

hey TJ!  I'm living just west of Evans, technically Grovetown just northwest of Augusta.  We moved down here about 6 years ago.  I'll be totally honest - don't know a thing about Waynesboro.  I've lived in Atlanta, Greenville (very briefly), and Durham previously.

Since it sounds like you've got a gig more or less lined up, I'll try to give you the area basics I guess.  When people say "Augusta" they generally mean the towns of Evans, Martinez and Grovetown, as well as the city of North Augusta in SC which all orbit or border the main city.   you'll see people mention the "CSRA" all the time as another name for this sprawl which stands for Central Savannah River Area.  Evans is in Columbia county which is more suburbs, strip malls, and shopping whereas Augusta itself is in Richmond county, butted up against Fort Gordon.  Richmond county has some highly concentrated wealth in the summerville neighborhood west of downtown area, and some cool shops on Broad St, but otherwise its more low rent and sketchy in places, particuarly the south/southeast corner.  Its a real old city and feels that way...lots of decay in some places but a lot of revitalization in others, particuarly near the river.  It gets a bad rap sometimes ("Disgusta" gets thrown around) and it can be deserved but there's been quite a bit of economic boom the last couple years and its helping.  Downtown is small - there honestly isn't much once you get off of Broad Street.  If you're looking for a bigger downtown area to play in after work or on weekends you'll be dissapointed.

Traffic sucks, and drivers here are sincerely some of the worst I've ever seen, I've literally tried to theorize how its possible but come up blank.  I lived inside the perimeter in Atlanta for 5 years and there's times the I-20 corridor and any North/South route on the west side of town are backed up worse.  That's what happens when you have 5x more people here than the town was built to handle even just 20 years ago (and the construction to widen the roads is making it worse right now).  The weather is stifling, unbearably hot from May to October...and I mean it, we hit 100 degrees during the first week of October last year.  But gorgeous from March to May, and of course the winters are a joke. 

It seems like everyone i meet generally falls into 4 groups:

• family's been here for a billion years and i'm never moving and mom/dad/sister/brother all live 2 streets over.
  • military transplant
  • medical jobs
  • education jobs (what brought us here)

For that reason we've got plenty of long-term locals that like to show off how "Country" they are but once you're in the towns its people of all kinds that get transplanted here.  Like most of GA though, it tends to be a conservative political makeup.  Overall I've found people to be very friendly here and truly from all over.  

Not much car stuff to do, to be honest...closest track is probably Roebling or Road Atlanta.  I've done some events with Atlanta region SCCA but you could also play with Buccanneer region SCCA.  The car scene is mostly classics, drag racers and truck guys.  You've gotta drive way north to have any fun roads to hit on the weekends, everything here is flat and open.  The few clubs/groups in town tend to head over to Atlanta or Columbia on weekends for bigger events.  I have a few car buddies in the neighborhood that I wrench with but otherwise I don't really have any other car guys I hang out with.

Lots of outdoors stuff though - kayaking/fishing on the savannah or Clarks Hill Lake, a lot of bike paths including mountain biking in the FATS trail system just over in SC, and a pretty vast new greenway system they're expanding in Grovetown.  There's also a BMX track and skate park up in Evans.  Greenjackets minor league baseball.  We get some decent music festivals both downtown and up in Evans at their outdoor auditorium.   Food-wise, you've got a few good gems all over the city- Fat Man's, Antonio's Italian, Southbound Smokehouse, Hawaiian Style BBQ, Sconyers, Dennis's BBQ, Guiseppes, Farmhaus, Groucho's, and Beamie's to name a few.  If you're into sports there's some solid rec leagues up in Columbia county that play at Patriot's Park.

Overall, I like it alright.  I hate the heat and the boring landscape but otherwise we have everything we need and typically go into Evans for a dinner or music event from time to time.  Housing is still reasonable and there's more jobs and stores opening up all the time.  

I think if you're driving back and forth a lot I would try to stick closer to Waynesboro though.  25 can get pretty hairy with traffic and its not really a nice drive through that area anyway.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/5/20 6:49 a.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

Wow, thanks for that info. I'll go back and re-read while looking at a map to try to get a better feel where everything is you described. 

I know what you mean about hot, humid and long summers, not much elevation changes and thus fairly boring roads. That describes where I live now as well. Although, being on the coast means it is not as stifling as inland, so I'd image it is hotter and more humid there than here. 

Again, thanks for the info. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
6/5/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Any time.  I tried to paint with a broad brush there so if you have more specific questions I'll see what I can do to address them.

General rule of thumb - Above 20 is Evans.  Below 20 is Augusta.  across the river is North Augusta which is actually a SC city, that can be confusing.  If people talk about the canal or "the locks", that's the historic canal and dam and is part of the river, mostly at the north end of the city.  Bobby Jones expressway is 520 around the city.  Martinez is pronounced "Martin-ezz" instead of "MarTEENez" which will help you blend in a bit better, haha.

Yeah, unfortunately, you coastal guys get a nice breeze but around here its just punishing humidity.  Its very much a swamp this time of year.  You're gonna want to make sure you've got a vehicle with working A/C, trust me on that one.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/5/20 10:24 a.m.

TJ -- are you considering a job at Vogtle?  I grew up in the area and my dad worked at the plant until construction wound down in the early 90s.

Waynesboro ("The Bird Dog Capital of the World") is a small southern town with all the deep south baggage that comes with it.  If you're looking for a rural living lifestyle, it's easy to find a modest double-wide on a piece of land big enough to run dirt bikes and build a shop for wrenching on your cars.  If you're a liberal-leaning person who prefers an in-town lifestyle there's a small area of Augusta that you may find appealing, but look forward to a long commute.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/5/20 10:40 a.m.

I can't ad much to what nderwater said.   Last time I was in Walterboro was in the segregated 60s, when things were very different.  It was a pleasant enough town at that time.  I was working at my aunt and uncle's country store located between Midville and Waynesboro, so going to Waynesboro was refreshing.  The area was all farming at that time.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/5/20 11:13 a.m.

Yes, looking at a position at Vogtle doing start up testing on the new units, so only would be there for a year or so. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/5/20 11:15 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Living in the boonies/small town is more appealing to me than living in Augusta itself. Looks like real estate is relatively cheap compared to where I live now. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/12/20 8:45 p.m.

So. I accepted a new job and will be in Waynesboro for the next couple of years. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/13/20 7:12 a.m.
T.J. said:

So. I accepted a new job and will be in Waynesboro for the next couple of years. 

Congrats....shoot me a note if you're ever up in Evans/Grovetown....beers on me.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/13/20 8:09 a.m.

Congrats.  Bring your AC.  

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/13/20 10:38 a.m.

Welcome to GA. I'm down near Macon if you ever explore the southern half of the state. I lived in greater Atlanta and spend time in the mountains but I've never spent time around Augusta, so I'm not much help. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/13/20 12:12 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

The climate there is very similar to the one I've lived in for the past 7 years minus the hurricanes, so although it is not my favorite climate, I am at least used to putting up with it. Someday I will again live in a place that is not as humid.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/13/20 12:13 p.m.
ScottyB said:
T.J. said:

Congrats....shoot me a note if you're ever up in Evans/Grovetown....beers on me.

Awesome - thanks.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/13/20 7:48 p.m.

Whoa. That is great news TJ!!!!  Congrats. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/13/20 8:57 p.m.
T.J. said:
spitfirebill said:

Someday I will again live in a place that is not as humid.

Let me know where that is.  Humid and hot is all I've ever known and it's really getting to me.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/13/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I've lived in northern Idaho, across the Puget Sound from Seattle and in Minnesota. Those places all were mostly free of super swampy humid summers.  VA, AL, FL and NC all have their share of heat and humidity. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/14/20 2:28 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to nderwater :

Living in the boonies/small town is more appealing to me than living in Augusta itself. Looks like real estate is relatively cheap compared to where I live now. 

I knew you liked me TJ, but you didn't have to move to be closer to me!

Congrats!  Once you get settled, we'll have to figure out an excuse to meet up.  This time not in the Charlotte airport!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mkqBlmZNhHX04nRkCHJEYCDzrIh6qrY7Lbv4KQ6PPdD1vH29wsrbJv0kGK2lqgNJ