1 2
Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/15/20 9:43 p.m.

After not having much success on getting a good deal on a new Madza 6. Kia called about the 2019 Kia Stinger GT with 850 miles on it that is actually in my area. They are asking $29,999. out the door with all taxes and fees. Going test  drive it Saturday with the wife. Has it been reliable? Positive and negative feedback appreciated here.  Yeah, I know they have the "best" warranty on the car market but I don't want to deal with a car that might have to be in the shop over and over even with them covering it. My 2013 Mazda CX-9 has been trouble free other than the airbag recall. So I call that one a win. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/15/20 10:00 p.m.

My wife test drove one and said the visibility was not good, if you care about that.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
10/15/20 10:02 p.m.

For 29.999 out the door I would probably get one GT being the one with the 3.3l?  Where are you located?

thedoc
thedoc Reader
10/16/20 4:58 a.m.

I autocross with a woman who has one.  She has had it at the dealer for multiple failures, including some that seemed to stump the dealer.  They ended up just replacing the parts until the problem was fixed.  Sorry I do not have more specifics.  She does seem to like the car, but is frustrated with problems.  Again, sorry that I cannot remember specifics.  She did auto cross it, but now sticks with her miata.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
10/16/20 6:58 a.m.

I respect Kia greatly for bringing that car to market, but for a DD the turbo four model would be my pick, twin turbo V6 just sounds like a trip to trouble city down the line.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/16/20 7:01 a.m.

I own a Hyundai and I am not impressed with the warranty.  Sure its long, but if every time you go they say "this is functioning as designed" or "we can't replicate the problem", it does you no good.

Also (my local dealer anyway) never has a loaner available and their shuttle service is down because Covid.  So anytime I want to go and have them waste my time I need to wait it out on-site.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/16/20 8:31 a.m.

Worst thing about KIA is the dealership experience, including the parts and service. The warranty is good, but make sure you trust your dealer. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/16/20 8:33 a.m.

I've driven the Stinger GT and liked it, but I preferred the BMW 435i Gran Coupe that I also test drove.  I'm sure the BMW would cost lots more to own though.

For what it's worth, I've owned 3 new Kias since 2013 and all of our warranty issues have been taken care of right away with zero hassle. Experience may vary from dealer to dealer

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/16/20 8:34 a.m.

Not what I expected.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/16/20 9:35 a.m.

Didn't Doug De Muro just buy/lease one? I think he made at least one video about it on the 'Tube.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/16/20 12:47 p.m.

I wouldnt be opposed to one but the wife thinks they are ugly.  Really trying to convince her to take my Land Cruiser so I can get a Jeep Gladiator.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/16/20 1:47 p.m.

It's worth noting that an aftermarket tune can bring the Stinger GT up to big power and torque numbers.

RaceChip advertises 422 HP / 508 lb-ft; Pressertech says 459 hp / 522 lb-ft; Tork Motorsports claims to add 125 hp and 100 lb-ft at 18 psi.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/17/20 9:12 p.m.

I'm not sure why this is "off topic," but it's probably the only reason Bobzilla isn't in here talking about how great this car is.

I think they are ugly in the flesh, but it's a lot of car for 29k. I do like sedans that have hatchbacks, like the old Mazda6 and 626. 

I have nothing particularly useful to add.

Is it the turbo 4 or turbo V6?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/17/20 9:25 p.m.

I test drove one just for E36 M3s and giggles a couple of years ago. I have a couple of M3s so I wasn't really looking to  buy one.

I was quite impressed.  You could see and feel the German influences. Disappointed that in order to get the most hottest AWD version one has to get a sunroof.

There is a KIA stinger forum that seems moderately informative.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/17/20 9:32 p.m.

Also, and this is important if your decide to get a new one and have plenty of cash or can arrange a re-finance with really good rates thru your credit union or whatever. At one time KIA was giving rebates of approx. $7k is you leased a stinger.  The trick was to lease the car, get the $7k, then buy out the lease after a payment or 2.  There's a lot of info on how to do this on the kia stinger forum mentioned in my previous post.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/17/20 11:14 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

Also, and this is important if your decide to get a new one and have plenty of cash or can arrange a re-finance with really good rates thru your credit union or whatever. At one time KIA was giving rebates of approx. $7k is you leased a stinger.  The trick was to lease the car, get the $7k, then buy out the lease after a payment or 2.  There's a lot of info on how to do this on the kia stinger forum mentioned in my previous post.

Say what? That would help a lot if it's real. At the Kia forums checking it out. Thanks. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/17/20 11:17 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I'm not sure why this is "off topic," but it's probably the only reason Bobzilla isn't in here talking about how great this car is.

I think they are ugly in the flesh, but it's a lot of car for 29k. I do like sedans that have hatchbacks, like the old Mazda6 and 626. 

I have nothing particularly useful to add.

Is it the turbo 4 or turbo V6?

The Kia dealer sold it to someone else Friday instead. It was the V6. I saw that Carmax had one today online and hurried over there. But alas it wasn't meant to be. Deceptive advertising it as a GT and wages it was actually the "GT Line" when I got there. The I4 isn't bad at all and it is actually better than the I4 in the Mazda6 IMHO 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/18/20 11:01 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
M2Pilot said:

Say what? That would help a lot if it's real. At the Kia forums checking it out. Thanks. 

Let us know how that works out. Hoping it helps a lot.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/18/20 1:03 p.m.

Heard good things - neighbor loves his

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/18/20 4:39 p.m.

Woot, got to drive the 2021 GT V6 today. I love it. I would have bought the car I drove today but the dealership refused to budge on a "dealership markup" of nearly $3k for cargo liner, wheel locks, nitrogen for the tires, clear protection film behind door handles/front lip of hood and a custom pinstripe. $44k without dealership fees and taxes no

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/18/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Round these parts, I'm not seeing enough of them in the wild for a dealer to try those tricks.  When I bought my truck last year I told the dealer he'd have to replace the N in the tires with 80 per cent N and keep the wheel locks and knock off another $160 before I'd buy it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/18/20 6:40 p.m.

They seem like really nice cars, and they are pretty quick. I had a guy in a GT pull up to me in my Forte GT the other day on the highway. I was going about 80, he pulled up next to me, gave me a thumbs up, and just LEFT. 

I do think the styling is a bit weird, though. It's like a mash-up of a Maserati GranTurismo, Audi A7, and a BMW 6-series Grand Coupe. It feels like the next generation of this car will nail the looks as they make it more their own thing rather than swipe cues from everyone else. Everyone I know who has had seat time in one says they are the real deal. 

I hear what people are saying about the Kia dealer experience. Most Kia dealers around here are subprime loan shark cesspools with terrible ads full of all of the old sales bait and cultural stereotypes that straight up anger me. The place I bought my Forte GT from was recently built, but it still felt 35 years old inside and cheap, and although I had a good experience, I saw some of the old tricks being used on others inside. Meanwhile, the Mazda dealer next door is 10 years older, but ultra modern and cutting edge with a completely different experience. Same owners, too. The cars are pretty much on par with the rest of the Asian makes now, but they are still trying to get the dealer experience down. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/18/20 7:59 p.m.

As you can see, the pinstripe is invisible on the car. Ridiculous 

Storz
Storz SuperDork
10/19/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I had one for a month in 2018 when they first came out. It was the full GT2 trim package, twin turbo V6. It as a fantastic car, and would make a great comfy, fast daily however I wanted something more wild so long story short ended up with a 2020 STI

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/19/20 1:34 p.m.

One of the best looking cars out there. I have nothing to add.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jvKOvjzG0kbiIu0jhQxALhxDDN4kFCVx2Vqzr7ua9HLxPickv69tyAUratnE8Yc2