davidjs
davidjs Reader
12/5/10 6:30 p.m.

So it turns out all you get for googling lemon law information is either the incredibly sparse DMV website, or 50 different lawyers trying to take your case.

Since it matters, we're in Virginia (and the car was purchased in VA).

We have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan that magically shuts itself off every so often when you turn left. (Examples; it also come up in the NHTSA database under Chrysler Town and Country's )

We've had it in the shop twice since it's happened twice and they haven't found anything (no surprise because almost all of the cases I've found online were bought back as lemons).

The question is: Does anyone know who it works best to start with for a lemon buy-back? The servicing dealer (not where it was bought from)? The original dealer? Calling a corporate number?

The potential challenge is that it's only been in for service twice, but (at least in my opinion) shutting off when you're turning left is a safety issue, which from the VA law means they only have to not be able to fix it once.

Any hints? Advice on negotiating? Know someone who has actually gotten this issue fixed?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/5/10 6:49 p.m.

I don't know VA law since I'm in NY but it's a manufacturer issue and I'd start with Chrysler first.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/5/10 6:56 p.m.

Take it to a dealer and tell them the problem and to contact you when it is fixed. Do not pick it up or take it home until they can certify to you that it is fixed. 30 days out of service is sufficient time to qualify for Lemon Law. You can play the game of taking it back and forth to the dealer(preferably the same one) but nothing works better than the 30 day rule.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VGiiBx7H6SclcUFT8pK37fKPNuI4oCsto3ZrPrOUIBe7YzYAftbm5l9EeuJSpqTd