1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/18 9:37 a.m.

Just learned these are a thing. I'm starting to travel more, and the lack of a second monitor really impairs my productivity. Anyone use them? Are they any good or are they just a gimmick? 

Looking at one of these: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-1366x768-Brightness-3-0-Powered/dp/B00CMKOVMO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531838187&sr=1-2&keywords=portable%2Bmonitor&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB168B-1366x768-Portable-Monitor/dp/B00FE690DI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531838187&sr=1-3&keywords=portable+monitor

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/17/18 6:11 p.m.

I didn't know those were a thing.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/17/18 6:25 p.m.
mtn said:

Just learned these are a thing. I'm starting to travel more, and the lack of a second monitor really impairs my productivity. Anyone use them? Are they any good or are they just a gimmick? 

They work great for productivity. You'll want to do videos and other intensive stuff on your laptop screen, but for looking at email / spreadsheets they do the job 100%.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/17/18 6:45 p.m.
red_stapler said:
mtn said:

They work great for productivity. You'll want to do videos and other intensive stuff on your laptop screen, but for looking at email / spreadsheets they do the job 100%.

That’s literally all they’re doing. I think I’m going to grab one

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/17/18 6:48 p.m.

Holy crap I need this.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/17/18 7:20 p.m.

I use one and it’s great.  Mainly for spreadsheets etc.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
7/17/18 7:40 p.m.

If you carry an iPad, there are ways to make it a second monitor, too.  And, one less device to carry if you, like me, carry a tablet in addition to a laptop.

-Rob

adam525i
adam525i Reader
7/17/18 8:58 p.m.

I don't but a colleague of mine had one along for our last trip and he loves it. It looked very similar to what you posted from amazon.

Adam

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/18/18 9:03 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

If you carry an iPad, there are ways to make it a second monitor, too.  And, one less device to carry if you, like me, carry a tablet in addition to a laptop.

-Rob

I came in to say the same thing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/18/18 9:16 a.m.
Grtechguy said:
rob_lewis said:

-Rob

I came in to say the same thing.

I don't have an iPad, but even there it is really too small. Hell, my laptop screen is too small at 14". That is where the second, portable monitor comes in big. You can get them in 15.6", or 17.3" (which is what I'll be going for).

EDIT: although now that you say that, I wonder if there is a way to do it with my Fire to get 3 screens going. Too small for spreadsheets, which is what I need it for, but still good for stowing my outlook window.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/18/18 12:38 p.m.

How bright are these?  I really need something like this, but with an anti-glare screen and super bright backlight for using in bright lighting conditions like under an EZ-up.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/18/18 12:43 p.m.
Duke said:

How bright are these?  I really need something like this, but with and anti-glare screen and super bright backlight for using in bright lighting conditions like under an EZ-up.

Check out the first link I posted and look at some of the user-provided pictures. You can see the comparison of how they look. You do see some glare on them, but you also see some people using them basically outside. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/18/18 12:47 p.m.

Oh my... I need one of these as well.  I wonder if there's a way to make two of them work?  I have two external monitors for CAD and use my laptop screen for email and the web.  I wonder how long the battery lasts or how much drain it puts on the laptop?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/18/18 12:52 p.m.
Ian F said:

Oh my... I need one of these as well.  I wonder if there's a way to make two of them work?  I have two external monitors for CAD and use my laptop screen for email and the web.  I wonder how long the battery lasts or how much drain it puts on the laptop?

Pictures make me believe you can use 2. And it doesn't look like they have a battery, they're powered off the the laptop. I'd imagine you need to keep the laptop plugged in more or less the entire time.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/18/18 12:57 p.m.
Ian F said:

As long as you have enough USB ports, you can probably run as many as you want.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/18/18 1:04 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

How about with one of those 4-1 USB splitters?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/19/18 2:10 p.m.

I saw my first auxiliary laptop monitor last week.  An ISO auditor was using it.  Not a good connotation.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UberDork
7/19/18 3:22 p.m.

I've heard they can be a bit delicate so if you're careful with them while travelling I'm sure they'd be useful. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
7/19/18 4:00 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to red_stapler :

How about with one of those 4-1 USB splitters?

I imagine that A) you need one with external power.  If you divide the USB power with a hub you won't be able to power a monitor.  Also B) I think that you are basically halving USB bandwidth, which already can't keep up with a typical monitor refresh rate.  Divide it by two and they would become pretty much worthless.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/19/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Good points, although in general when I would be setting up multiple monitors I'll have plug-in power. My laptops usually have at least two USB ports, so a monitor would be connected to both and a mouse would be doubled into one of them.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/17/18 7:04 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Holy crap I need this.

Ditto

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/17/18 8:10 a.m.

DAMMIT.  I didn't know I needed one of these until today.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/17/18 8:37 a.m.

This looks really cool: "Slide-in-joy" add-on displays

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/18 9:41 a.m.

I ended up with an AOC from the amazon link above. Works well. I need to glue a connector in as the connector in the back is weak and will be a fail point, but otherwise no complaints. Wonderful for travel. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/17/18 10:37 p.m.

Ok, I carry a Android tablet and a work laptop when I travel. Second monitor would be great. Biggest issue I would have is the laptop is Gubmint provided with all the associated lockdowns activated. Possible to use the Galaxy Note Pro tablet as a second monitor? When not on the road, the laptop hooks into a docking station that has 2 monitors hooked to it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8XxI5zPdlhTrBsnmJAvVd7HJdAW0ZFRG64FPREQIjnNfnjc1J2KvB96gPwIaCKOo