AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
1/16/20 9:19 a.m.

So I'm trying to actually start making some videos for my YouTube Channel. I have 2 GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Cameras, which is fine for mounting on a car or something, but the audio isn't great. I also have an iPhone 11, which in testing actually shoots some pretty good video. Good enough for a start at least. I figure, for now I should worry less about the very best of quality, and focus on making content. The easier it is to make content, the more likely I am to make it. Thus, iPhone 11 + iMovie for editing will do for now. 

I'm thinking getting a Gimbal for the cell phone would be worth the investment to up the quality of my videos for relatively cheap. The DJI OSMO Mobile 3 seems like a pretty good option. Has anyone here used it?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/16/20 7:20 p.m.

I have an Osmo Mobile 3 and a Zhiyun Smooth 4. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. As a pure gimbal, I think the Zhiyun is far superior, but it's larger and packs less neatly than the DJI. Basically if I'm flying I take the DJI and if I'm driving I take the Smooth 4.

All that said, they're both fine gimbals, and way better than anything that costs so little should be.

And your iPhone is actually a fantastic video capture tool. Properly stabilized, current iPhones can shoot some amazing video. Honestly, lots of stuff shoots good video these days, so if you're going to make an effort, put the effort into audio quality. Decent audio is the biggest difference between YouTube channels that clearly give a crap and ones that don't, IMO. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
1/17/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree 100% about the audio. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning away from my ~5-6 year old GoPros. The iPhone audio itself isn't too bad, but if I'm going to get a gimbal (and it seems by all means that I should) then maybe I should look into an external mic for the iPhone as well. Any suggestions there?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
2/12/20 8:20 a.m.

Just an update, I found a Zhiyun Smooth 4 used on FB marketplace for $80 shipped to my door, so I went for it. So far, I like it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Ri07NS7YUZeuWszBOmDV5Lf2BRLkLgZeGufOgi3nfRl5llOEYnC0k4NU6os5Teq