Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/13/19 10:54 a.m.

I bought a couple cases of duplicolor bedliner in rattle cans last week on sale.  I did my bedrails before installing my ladder rack.  I did it right; cleaned with a green scotchbrite and a cleaner, sanded with 180 grit, used wax and grease remover, did 4 coats with 20 minutes in between.  It never got hard... more like undercoating, then this morning I went out and found this after it rained last night.  I'm remarkably disappointed.

My options are to try another rattle can brand, get a gallon of roll-on, or pay $1000 to have Line-X do it.  Most of the home-done bedliners I have seen are junk within a year, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone here does Line-X, Rhino, or some other spray-in liner who might hook a brother up.  I can do the prep so you would just maybe double check the prep, mask it, spray it, and get paid.

If not, I'll take suggestions on how to do it myself - brands, techniques, etc.

P.S.... free drop in bedliner on my loading dock.  Fits Ranger/B-series 6' bed.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/13/19 1:01 p.m.

Obligatory 'don't get it on your hootus' comment cheeky

Any two part product should do much better han the spray can or roll on stuff. I had very good luck with U-Pol Raptor Liner on the interior of my XJ. I usually suck at any sort of paint and body work type stuff and it held up well for the 3 or so years I owned it. Just scuffed everything and wiped down with acetone before application.

I think I still have the spray gun that came with the kit if you want to borrow it. 

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/13/19 1:04 p.m.

I'm also down to drink beer and supervise, er, lend a hand...cheeky

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/13/19 1:16 p.m.

Let's do it.  Let me research the stuff and see if I can get something on the way.  Look for the gun.  What kind of beer do you like?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/13/19 3:10 p.m.

My local spray guy told me $500

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/13/19 4:20 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My local spray guy told me $500

Pretty sure that's what I paid for my spray in liner.      It was under 1000 for Bedliner, undercoating and interior protection.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/13/19 4:37 p.m.

My local Line-X guy quoted me $1025 for the bed, $1250 to include the bed rails.

Either way, the stuff that Furious_E posted above can be had on Amazon for $100 with the gun.  That's a better fit for my tiny wallet.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/13/19 4:39 p.m.

There was another one in Dillsburg that was a liner name I didn't recognize and even he wanted $950 and he wouldn't do bedrails for "liability."  Translated; he's no good at masking.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/14/19 8:08 a.m.

Try my former employer, Den's Service Center.

They use a brand that doesn't have a colossal franchise fee like Line-X. The owner's son does the painting.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/14/19 9:51 a.m.

I'll see if I can find the gun today, pretty sure I know which box it's hiding in. As for beer, I'll drink just about anything. Let me know when you're ready to do it!

For ~$100 for the Raptor Liner kit versus $500-1000+ for a professional job, I'd DIY it any day. I will say I like the texture of Line X slightly better, but you can add material to the Raptor stuff for grit and play with pressures and travel speeds to change the texture and I didn't play with it much. It also took forever to stoff off gassing and stinking up my interior on hot days, but that's not really a concern for a truck bed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jQAoN93csCOKAp4GVRlF6GcAs1mDGtbQGVoMUz79BtEwHcHHQxu7vF5vxbtzD0Sh