1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/18/10 7:51 a.m.

If you don't sweat it's not a sport, right?

I likened Curling to Shuffle Board for the Cabin Fevered types, but watching the US play Switzerland last night, there may not be any sweating going on but there IS some real skill involved.

I still don't understand the innings or chuckers or whatever, or why sometimes you get six throws and others you get three, or who pitches the rock and who sweeps or when it's time to trade off, but is is very cool. Last night coming back from a 4 - 0 beginning, the US Captain said there's nothing like being tied in the last [inning] and throwing the last rock of the game right at the button and pulling it off. He flubbed that very scenario the night before against Norway and then last night he boiked it again. His 93 foot slide was short by 1/2 inch. Swiss takes it 7 - 6.

There are two Curling Clubs within 15 miles of my house, my wife thinks I should get out of the garage more.....

Oy.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/18/10 7:53 a.m.

i was watching the Women's Curling, it was USA vs Japan, wasnt really paying attention to what was going on, was staring at the girls...

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/18/10 8:35 a.m.

BUUUUURRRRRRPPPPPPP. yup.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/18/10 8:45 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: i was watching the Women's Curling, it was USA vs Japan, wasnt really paying attention to what was going on, was staring at the girls...

Got that, nice brush.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/18/10 8:51 a.m.

We had a funny two years ago at work. We were on break and watching Curling on our widescreen.. yelling at the people and such.. our old director walked in thinking we were watching some big game... took one look, shook his head and walked out.

We miss him

DukeOfUndersteer
2/18/10 8:58 a.m.

Well, tonight is Women's Snowboard Halfpipe Finals. Gretchen Bleiler.... Mmmmm....

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/18/10 9:06 a.m.

Curling is a great game. I've haven't played since I moved from Ontario to Michigan, but I used to play a couple of times a week. My parents still play and they're both over 80. As for the comment that it's not a sport unless you sweat, I'll give you one of those brushes and put the teflon slider under one foot, and we'll see if you can do it without sweating , or pulling a hamstring! I'll bet the farm you will .

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/18/10 9:10 a.m.

And, one more reason to try the game,,,,, you normally can drink on the ice! What other sport (besides golf) let's you do that.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/18/10 9:23 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: And, one more reason to try the game,,,,, you normally can drink on the ice! What other sport (besides golf) let's you do that.

Fishing, Sportfishing, Ice Fishing, Redneck Javelin, Softball, Midget tossing

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/18/10 9:25 a.m.

John, pictures of redneck javelin, please.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/18/10 9:29 a.m.

+1 for Midget Tossing...

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
2/18/10 10:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: And, one more reason to try the game,,,,, you normally can drink on the ice! What other sport (besides golf) let's you do that.

Bowling FTW!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/18/10 10:49 a.m.

Ice hockey

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
2/18/10 10:49 a.m.

+1 on the pictures of Midget tossing and Redneck Javelin

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/18/10 11:27 a.m.

mtn, where do you play hockey? Outdoors? Here, we sneak a cooler into the dressing room, but that's it.

DukeOfUndersteer
2/18/10 11:31 a.m.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/18/10 12:14 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: mtn, where do you play hockey? Outdoors? Here, we sneak a cooler into the dressing room, but that's it.

I only ref nowadays, but when I played in mens league they had the cooler in the locker room, and the gatorade on the bench was rarely just gatorade. When I ref the mens league games, its quite obvious that half the players are half in the bag.

This varies from league to league, and from rink to rink. The one I ref at when I'm here at school is run by the park district--No alcohol will ever get in that place.

minimac
minimac Dork
2/18/10 12:31 p.m.

Dan- you and Trish should go and try it. It's one of those things chicks like us to do with them. Actually, I used to play a bit when I was still in Buffalo. It's sort of like a combination of bocce, billiards, bowling, and marbles, all played on ice. There is quite a bit of skill and strategy involved. You know how golfers are the only ones that can stand to watch golfing? That's sort of how curlers are too. A few years ago they had the Worlds in Utica(oldest club in the U.S.). It was neat to see the teams from all over the world.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/18/10 2:02 p.m.

Is this sport anything like doing 12oz curls?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
2/18/10 2:56 p.m.
klipless
klipless New Reader
2/18/10 3:02 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: ~My favourite curling video~

The band members brushing (sweeping?) behind the rock cracks me up.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/18/10 4:02 p.m.

Love the video, that rocks. Ha! Get it? Rocks?

My girlfriend used to curl competitively in high school. They'd sometimes sweep behind the rock to screw with the heads of other teams. They called it a "reverse sweep" and claimed it would slow the rock down.

The competitive life of a curler must be at least an order of magnitude longer than most other Olympic sports. Just think, it's possible that someone could compete in 12 consecutive Games...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
2/18/10 5:30 p.m.

Keith, my Dad curls in an over 80 league ! I hope I'm still breathing at that age, let alone curling. I wonder what else he does that I don't anymore.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
2/18/10 8:05 p.m.

darts.... I think it's required...

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
2/18/10 8:55 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Curling is a great game. I've haven't played since I moved from Ontario to Michigan, but I used to play a couple of times a week. My parents still play and they're both over 80. As for the comment that it's not a sport unless you sweat, I'll give you one of those brushes and put the teflon slider under one foot, and we'll see if you can do it without sweating , or pulling a hamstring! I'll bet the farm you will .

+1

You forgot - have a heart attack. Sweeping is SERIOUS hard work if you do it right

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SVFPzwoDa8sHulB0UnU9xkwlLeAPockd46ET5PfdVSvPWbowzpNVkxWIPbLwQXI5