Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/9/19 6:07 p.m.

For some reason the burner on our stove we always use no longer lights. The ignitor is still sparking, there’s a strong smell of gas, and the other burners work. Possibly related - for a long time with this same burner to get it to ignite would require turning the knob to #1. 

I tried cleaning around it, but it doesn’t seem very dirty(we rarely cook). Any suggestions?

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I've had momentary issues with a similar style.

In one, soap scum from a sloppy cleaning clogged a port of some kind.

In another, it just wasn't sitting in the correct orientation on the stove.

Wish I had more specific memories, but hopefully a little futzing with those in mind will turn up a solution...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:31 p.m.

Is the sparky thingie close enough to the gassy outie?

If you light a long-reach butane lighter and hold it at the burner, will that light it?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/9/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Nothing has moved(it doesn’t appear then can?), so they should still be oriented correctly. I’m not sure if we have a lighter, but I’ll give that a try if we do!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:36 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Nothing has moved(it doesn’t appear then can?), so they should still be oriented correctly. I’m not sure if we have a lighter, but I’ll give that a try if we do!

Be sure to light the lighter before you turn on the gas.  Be careful.  Don't blow yerself up, etc. etc.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:42 p.m.

The internet seems to think that some gunk has blocked the flow of gas to the igniter.  Can you remove those two hex-head screws, lift that piece off, and post another pic?

Is that the igniter at the 5:00 position in your pic?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/9/19 6:47 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Correct on the igniter. I was concerned about attempting to remove those screws & potentially having parts fall down to the nether regions of the stove, but I can give that a try! 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:48 p.m.

this burner looks just like yours.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/9/19 6:49 p.m.

Fear not!

Edit:  Yeah, the hole in that cast part that lets gas get to the igniter is pretty small.  Be quite easy for it to get blocked up.  Clear that thing out and she'll work fine.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
10/9/19 7:21 p.m.

Around here the gas company will come out and look at it for free ,

But it really sounds like one of the holes is clogged , can you switch one side to the other ?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/10/19 1:29 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

this burner looks just like yours.

Awesome, thanks!!!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/10/19 6:08 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I find it works best if you place a pot on the stove, turn the gas on high, and then hold the lighter under the pot.  It doesn't even have to light- just the sparkie from the lighter igniter will light the stove off.  We've had the front right burner ignitor dead for years now, and have done it this way.  The pot helps concentrate the gas so it lights off quickly.  Oh, and we use oneadem long BBQ lighter dealies.  Keep it hanging by the stove at all times.  Still have all my eyebrows and most of my arm hair.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aabs1kPism2ysidUqT0vDm4REEd8tqNbdQdr8IFqPTEPSaNdLHYyqOBpjiO6jjIR