Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/21/22 11:55 p.m.

Interior built

I used as much 911 interior as possible, basically everything but the actual tub and dash. 

Engine and transaxle built. You may be wondering why I'm putting so much together without painting, and frankly it's because both kits suck. There's tons of flash, soft detail, and terrible fit. I'm going for overall punch rather than lots of detail. 

Well it fits from this side. 

Oh man, that, that looks cool. Like it's meant to be there!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/22/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Monogram Nascar radiators with a little header tank bondo build into intercoolers easily. You get a big and a little out of each one.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/22/22 8:26 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Fresh out of nascar coolers. But I'll keep looking.

Fresh coat of Testors gloss red over the Tamiya metallic red over the Tamiya pearl white. Hmmm? Wonder if that's too many coats? Will the hood even fit now? Hmmm, again.

Don't look too closely or you'll see all the dust in the paint. I should not paint in a room where dogs hang out!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/22/22 11:38 p.m.

Paint looks great!

I got the chassis/interior in paint.

I painted the drive train, too.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/23/22 10:45 a.m.

Body should get painted today, weather seems to be holding. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
4/23/22 12:29 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

That sure is shinny! yes

4/23/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Thanks.

4/23/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Can't wait to see this done. Now someone has to build one and bring it to the Challenge. You've done all the development work!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/23/22 4:00 p.m.

I know, right? It would be the coolest Pacer and the least cool 911 ever. 

I went with Tamiya TS-39 Bright Red Mica.

4/23/22 5:04 p.m.
Javelin said:

I know, right? It would be the coolest Pacer and the least cool 911 ever. 

I went with Tamiya TS-39 Bright Red Mica.

That was my second choice for paint on the 6. Nice color. What did you use for base coat?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/23/22 10:07 p.m.

Light gray filler primer. It's neutral and allows the red to be red. White undercoat makes it hue pink. Red oxide will make it deeper and richer though. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
4/24/22 12:29 a.m.

I figured an air cleaner would be good. But an intercooler would also be good. Luckily, I found an ebay listing for both.

4/24/22 11:30 a.m.
slowbird said:

I figured an air cleaner would be good. But an intercooler would also be good. Luckily, I found an ebay listing for both.

I need that. Might be too late for me however.

Edit: order in.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
4/24/22 8:57 p.m.

Seems that I've slow-walked myself into a thrash of a last week to get a kit that's 95% built done. I thought that I gave myself plenty of time to finish bodywork. Then I started thinking... glue the roof on, fill in the massive pillar gaps, bodywork, primer, paint, mask, paint two-tone, unmask, clear, hope everything behaved with the tape and stuff, give the paint a day to set, then decals.... in a week? Now I kind of have my doubts.

But we press on madly. Last night I slobbered on a shameful amount of filler to smooth out the ribbed Excursion roof enough to make it look flat - flat enough, that is, painted white and covered with some decals. I didn't take any pictures of that since it did not look good. Today was sanding, and I think it came out halfway decent. I might shoot some primer on it to see how smooth it really is, but why would I want to know that?

I have to get the roof as close to paint-ready because once it's on the body, it's likely going to be held on so tenuously that any time I touch it will be enough to break it off and I have to start that process all over again. Having said this, I remain optimistic.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/25/22 2:09 a.m.

I decided to paint tartan inserts. 

4/25/22 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

That's awesome! Love it.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/25/22 8:29 p.m.

Don't know if I'm gonna make it, but imma try.

the engine is mocked in and with some file work it might fit... may have to cheat the belts tho. once that is home it should be pretty straightforward all the way to the finish.

Should be.

4/25/22 10:11 p.m.

Six days to go. No progress tonight. Wife needed attention. Banking karma points!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/26/22 12:16 a.m.

Wheels together 

And drivetrain installed.

On the home stretch now.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/26/22 1:20 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

That last 20% is 80% of the work though.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
4/26/22 11:51 a.m.

Primer this morning was my way of telling myself "I don't care how much better I might be able to make this, I'm done with bodywork."

Narrator: he probably wasn't going to make it much better even with another week

First glance at the roof that I attempted to fill shows that I didn't do that great a job of filling the grooves, but it's flattened enough that the number decal should lay down better than if I left the roof alone. That was the primary concern.

Hope to get the white on this afternoon sometime and it'll set well enough to mask and two-tone on Thursday. If not, well, let's not burn that bridge till I get to it.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/26/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

Looks pretty good!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/26/22 6:16 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

That thing is turning out so clean which is hilarious for a monster truck!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/26/22 6:17 p.m.

Rear suspension installed, wheels on, and chassis is married to the body!

4/27/22 11:35 a.m.
Javelin said:

Rear suspension installed, wheels on, and chassis is married to the body!

Slow down. You're making me look bad! Lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WbUUS1D7hR6oP042nwujQchULkYKuM7CbgI7C3mMPLIq5kBmtNilZ1O1xeJ5wAVs