pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/13/21 7:16 a.m.

I have to replace a 20-foot walkway that was paved with Home Depot pavers a few years ago. The pavers the big-box stores sell are all what I would call cinder-block construction, the wooden equivalent would be pressboard where they glue sawdust together. They deteriorate in just a few years. Actual, poured concrete pavers last forever, but I cannot find a source. Plenty of places sell fancy paver stones for $15 each for a 12 x 12, but I want basic, non-fancy, 24 x 24, actual concrete pavers. Am I trying to buy a dinosaur?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/13/21 7:20 a.m.

Just make some out of bags of concrete.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
5/13/21 7:26 a.m.

Following, as we have decided that plain 24x24 pavers are exactly what we want to use in our backyard renovation, as well.

We checked a few places last week, and only found what you did.   We are planning on checking some landscaping companies this coming weekend.

Entropyman
Entropyman Reader
5/13/21 7:29 a.m.

I don't suppose you're in Florida.  I have about 100 of those.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/13/21 7:31 a.m.

I am curious what exactly you are looking for. Are not all pavers made of concrete?

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/13/21 7:54 a.m.
NOHOME said:

I am curious what exactly you are looking for. Are not all pavers made of concrete?

Imagine a concrete foam, pressed into molds so that the finished product has a lot of air in it so that it is lighter. Its more akin to a cinderblock than a poured concrete pad.

I would pour my own sidewalk, but I have never had any luck with concrete.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/13/21 8:15 a.m.

DIY the blocks. Build a form and pour them yourself. LOTS of YT videos to watch. I did a poured concrete countertop and with no previous experience and it turned out great. The neat thing about doing it in a form is that you can add decorative stones to the mix and then grind the surface a bit to expose the aggregate stones. 

I bought supplies from these guys. Some cool videos to watch on their site.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
5/13/21 8:19 a.m.

Try searching for "stepping stones" instead of "Pavers". You might find some larger sizes and better construction. You could also use something like actual stone

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/13/21 8:30 a.m.
Cooter
Cooter UberDork
5/13/21 8:41 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That would be fine if you wanted to wait at least a month.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/13/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The inexepensive ones that seem to be available these days are very cheaply made;  Lots of aggregate, not much cement, and heavily whipped so it's aerated and they can get more pavers from less material.  Not only are they weak to start with, they hold water like a sponge and freeze so they don't last very long.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
5/13/21 10:40 a.m.

I have a place near me that all they do is concrete block, concrete pavers and brick.  Maybe in 'Burg there is something like that near you.   Stay away from the box stores.

Rons
Rons HalfDork
5/13/21 2:17 p.m.

Have you tried searching for local pre-cast suppliers? Ready mix suppliers often have pre-cast products as well, someone orders 18 yards - 20 yards are dispatched 17.5 are used 2.5 yards are used in the pre-cast department. I used to work for a sand and gravel operator who also owned a ready-mix supplier.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/13/21 2:21 p.m.

Precasters and building supplies here always have a good supply.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
5/13/21 2:59 p.m.

https://www.43rdstreetconcrete.com/

https://www.jdsmasonrylandscape.com/

https://www.lampus.com/

I have not done business with any of these.  Just 3 I found with a search

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/13/21 3:29 p.m.

You can usually find a scuba diving clown that find some on the ocean floor. Why the clowns use an ethernet cable to pull the pavers up is beyond me, but I also don't understand why they go down in full clown makeup either. 

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
5/13/21 8:58 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fLKaKiy1u49LVI3xVv3BKepHp1Y9i2wuZ3YaaKWrE6JiLIJNjz3P7A3N01wuNNWa