David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/29/22 11:15 a.m.

Yesterday I went next door to pick up a package that our neighbors had grabbed for us.

As I'm walking over, a golf cart passed me. The dude driving it was listening to Dexys Midnight Runners. 

Funny, I thought, haven't thought of them in years.

I chatted with our neighbor in the driveway for a few and got our package. So figure we were there for 10 minutes.

Hey, he says, come inside and I'll show you the progress on the work we're doing.

We entered through the garage, where he had a radio going. 

The band playing: Dexys Midnight Runners.

Yes, plate of shrimp. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/22 11:20 a.m.

I even dig the Save Ferris ska cover.

David S. Wallens
11/29/22 11:37 a.m.

See, I missed the notice. (Also, thanks for using one of my favorite meme templates.)

David S. Wallens
11/29/22 11:38 a.m.

And any chance to drop in some Young Ones. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/29/22 11:42 a.m.

Oh, come on, Eileen!  This has to be a joke.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/29/22 12:08 p.m.

Trick question:  Dexy's Midnight Runners were never hip.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/29/22 12:35 p.m.

Interesting story about how Kevin Rowland tried so hard for so many years to make that band successful. The early soul revival stuff is my personal fave

Also, I will take any chance I get to share a Trash Theory video 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/22 12:49 p.m.
Duke said:

Trick question:  Dexy's Midnight Runners were never hip.

Shut up, Vivian !!!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/29/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Thanks for posting! Great history of the group. I'll be falling down a Trash Theory rabbit hole for the rest of my day. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
11/29/22 4:08 p.m.

Soon to be followed by the Bay City Rollers...

<sigh>

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/29/22 4:28 p.m.

And now I'm thinking of the video store scene in Clerks where Randall is ordering movies.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/29/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup!

Folgers
Folgers Reader
11/29/22 6:31 p.m.

When going on road trips with my dad, he will drive for about an hour and then we would switch and I drive.  After about ten minutes in the passenger seat he’s sound asleep. 

When I hear snoring, out comes the old burned cd with about  ten tracks of Come on Eileen. He’s slept from okmogee Oklahoma to Brownsville Texas, from southern Illinois to Washington DC,  from Arkansas to southern Wisconsin, and dozens of shorter trips. My guess is over a hundred hours of nothing but Come on Eileen while he’s slept.

Road trips are less frequent these days. But if anyone hums or sings a portion of that song he’s off and singing or whistling. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/29/22 6:35 p.m.

The answer is:  No.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/29/22 6:39 p.m.
Folgers said:

When going on road trips with my dad, he will drive for about an hour and then we would switch and I drive.  After about ten minutes in the passenger seat he’s sound asleep. 

When I hear snoring, out comes the old burned cd with about  ten tracks of Come on Eileen. He’s slept from okmogee Oklahoma to Brownsville Texas, from southern Illinois to Washington DC,  from Arkansas to southern Wisconsin, and dozens of shorter trips. My guess is over a hundred hours of nothing but Come on Eileen while he’s slept.

Road trips are less frequent these days. But if anyone hums or sings a portion of that song he’s off and singing or whistling. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/29/22 6:42 p.m.

I'd like to apologize to Eileen in my 8th grade class when that song came out. It still makes me giggle inside though...

David S. Wallens
11/29/22 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Folgers :

That's epic.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 1:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yes, plate of shrimp. 

Sly Repo Man reference.

David S. Wallens
11/30/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

laugh

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/30/22 10:20 a.m.

I Came On Eileen T-Shirt

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
11/30/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

There's a woman in my dance class named Eileen. Every time I have an interaction with her I walk away with that song stuck in my head. It's like a curse.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/1/22 7:27 a.m.

I've been expanding my appreciation of music of the 1980s through Spotify.  Bands and songs I dismissed as a "cool" teen (ha -- I had a poster of a 911 Turbo on my wall, not a Countach, so I was far from cool) have been added to my playlists (Erasure, who knew?).  I haven't explored much of the Dexy's canon yet, though.  Maybe it's time?

Will
Will UberDork
12/1/22 10:33 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I even dig the Save Ferris ska cover.

I've seen Save Ferris three times, from the OG lineup in 99 to Monique Powell's Save Ferris Cover Band. Ska now more than ever.

David S. Wallens
12/1/22 10:47 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been expanding my appreciation of music of the 1980s through Spotify.  Bands and songs I dismissed as a "cool" teen (ha -- I had a poster of a 911 Turbo on my wall, not a Countach, so I was far from cool) have been added to my playlists (Erasure, who knew?).  I haven't explored much of the Dexy's canon yet, though.  Maybe it's time?

Funny. We usually do a song each week for my bass lessons. My instructor and I have similar tastes, and over the years we've done a ton of the usual suspects: The Cure, The Ramones, Suicidal Tendencies, The Clash, Priest, etc.

The biggest loop: 867-5309/Jenny. Damn that's catchy and fun to play. 

The next biggest loop: Voices Carry. 

One band that he said is off the list: Duran Duran.

Why? I asked. John Taylor is really, really good, he said. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UEnKn4xisXpczprkeChLwS5kXrI6dRSQMxtqZEaXE6vlBPBdnLfsMDZBZ0YMu0AM