1 2 3
slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/12/19 8:22 a.m.

I can't be the only one. We got up, installed the app on our Fire TV Stick, and I went directly to Tale Spin. The kids thought we were watching cartoons this morning for them, little do they know...

Tonight the wife and I are going to watch The Mandalorian. We already set up the kids profiles, we just have to add the app to their Kindle Fire tablets. Supposedly you can stream up to four devices at once, which is perfect since I have three kids.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/12/19 8:42 a.m.

I downloaded the app on my Xbox to get it ready.  Mando tonight after the SCCA meeting.

wae
wae UltraDork
11/12/19 8:49 a.m.

I just put the Roku app on the Roku.  My understanding is that we will be starting to watch The Bobby Fett show later tonight, but a quick browse of the available titles has me a bit disappointed.  I thought there were something like 20+ Marvel universe movies and I only count just over a dozen.  The last couple Star Wars movies are missing as well.  I don't see Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., either.  My assumption is that they're still running out the contracts with Netflix and/or Amazon before they can pull all of that stuff back but I seem to recall that they were billing it as opening up the entire vault.

No Time
No Time Dork
11/12/19 8:52 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I heard similar information this morning that they they can't offer everything yet because of contracts with other streaming services. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/12/19 8:54 a.m.

I'm a huge Disney World fan, as in the theme park itself.  Love it!  I do like some Disney movies, but I'm not really into Star Wars or some of the other things Disney + has.  Therefore, I'm sort of on the fence if it's something I'd want.  I have almost no time to watch TV anyway, so it may be a waste.  I wonder how many people will sign up today alone...

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
11/12/19 9:03 a.m.

This has been a reminder in my calendar for months.  Looking forward to Star Wars and Marvel shows and movies.

wae
wae UltraDork
11/12/19 9:06 a.m.

Upon review of the video tape, it looks like some of the missing things are actually there, but the roku app wasn't showing them in the carousal view.  I didn't see Last Jedi or Solo on roku, but when I do a search for them, they both show up.  Same deal on the MCU movies, only Incredible Hulk and the Spider-Man movies aren't there.  The various series aren't there either (except for Agent Carter), but that's the distribution deals that are already in place. 

So, I'm back to being quite a bit more excited about that.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/12/19 9:08 a.m.

I have read several places that the next wave Marvel movies will be dependent upon titles only available on Disney+.

Do you want to kill your cash cow?

Because that's how you kill your cash cow.

wae
wae UltraDork
11/12/19 9:12 a.m.

...and I'm back to being a bit deflated.  While they show up in a search, some of those movies - like Last Jedi - look like this:

That's just a nasty tease

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/12/19 9:29 a.m.

Last night while watching the football game was the first time I heard of The Mandalorian . The trailer didn't look all that interesting. Why would someone wearing a full face covering helmet walk up and stand at a bar like they were going to order a drink? Is there a straw hole in that helmet?

I fear that more and more networks/studios/whatevers will go down a similar route and create their own streaming service. I don't really want more streaming services as I already have Amazon and Netflix. Not interested in signing up for another one and I don't see any compelling reason, so far, to drop Netflix to get Disney. I'll keep Amazon for Prime.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/12/19 9:41 a.m.
T.J. said:
I fear that more and more networks/studios/whatevers will go down a similar route and create their own streaming service. I don't really want more streaming services as I already have Amazon and Netflix. Not interested in signing up for another one and I don't see any compelling reason, so far, to drop Netflix to get Disney. I'll keep Amazon for Prime.

I kinda feel the same.  While they are making adding their streaming services compelling with the offerings, it's starting to get a little silly  With Netflix, Prime, HULU, Disney+ and now Apple+, it'll end up costing quite a bit.  Plus, I still haven't found a good place to figure out what's on the different offerings.  I still find stuff on Netflix and Prime by accident more than by looking for something. 

Not sure what people have at home, but Spectrum is also making their own shows.  They've been advertising a "Mad About You" reboot for months. 

-Rob

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
11/12/19 9:44 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Have you actually looked at the list of stuff they're streaming on Disney+ though? Especially when compared to Netflix? Because berkeley marvel, all the classic, well most of the classic, Disney vault stuff is available or will be soon, and it turns out, Disney owns fixing everything. 

I've been wanting to drop Netflix for months, it's extremely overpriced for what it is, but my kid loves like 2 shows on it, so I've been forced to keep it. Hopefully now I can save $10/month by ditching Netflix.

We've both been signed up for months waiting on launch, though I will say I'm a bit disappointed the app didn't work very well on my tablet.

I'm a big big fan of the Swiss family Robinson, treasure Island, Apple dumpling gang, all the old movies from the 60s that disappeared when I was a kid. Netflix originals suck to me, so it will be great making my kid see what I grew up with.

Definitely a nostalgia trip.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/12/19 9:47 a.m.

I'm more interested in vaulted content. There's a lot of movies that just don't get to video very often (the black cauldron, anyone?) and serieses that Disney got in various acquisitions (Futurama and Simpsons). I'm a little disappointed that song of the south didn't make the cut- I'm reasonably sure I'm one of like 3 people I know that's actually seen it. Original content doesn't do a lot for me (I don't care a bit about the madolorian, or most SW to be honest). I am a big disney/pixar fan though, and it's a lot cheaper than buying 4k blu rays at 30 bucks a pop. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/12/19 9:52 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I'm more interested in vaulted content. There's a lot of movies that just don't get to video very often (the black cauldron, anyone?) and serieses that Disney got in various acquisitions (Futurama and Simpsons). I'm a little disappointed that song of the south didn't make the cut- I'm reasonably sure I'm one of like 3 people I know that's actually seen it. Original content doesn't do a lot for me (I don't care a bit about the madolorian, or most SW to be honest). I am a big disney/pixar fan though, and it's a lot cheaper than buying 4k blu rays at 30 bucks a pop. 

Bingo. We are going to watch Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, all the X-men cartoons, all the bazillion Marvel cartoons, and more. Then we'll start working on the old movies. Heck, my kids love the older Disney movies.

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
11/12/19 10:03 a.m.

I'm not a Disney fan.  The last Disney movie I liked was Old Yeller.    I won't spoil the ending for those who didn't see it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/12/19 10:55 a.m.

In the begriming, all the content was in one place (3 networks).

Then the content was scattered (cable, massive number of networks)

Then the content was in one place (Netflix)

Then the content was scattered (multiple streaming services, networks etc)

The more things change, the more things stay the same.  Round and round.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/12/19 12:14 p.m.

A new exclusive streaming service? All I heard was "same-day top-quality rips!" devil

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/12/19 12:21 p.m.
aircooled said:

In the begriming, all the content was in one place (3 networks).

Then the content was scattered (cable, massive number of networks)

Then the content was in one place (Netflix)

Then the content was scattered (multiple streaming services, networks etc)

The more things change, the more things stay the same.  Round and round.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Good point.  My kids have no concept of what it was like when I was growing up.  They can't imagine the fact that my choices were CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS and maybe one of those oddball channels like 29 or 57.  And they are mortified that the internet wasn't a thing.  E36 M3, I'm old....

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/12/19 12:24 p.m.

Happy to introduce Tron Legacy, Clone Wars and Rebels to my kids.  And Flight of the Navigator!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/12/19 12:26 p.m.
wae said:

...and I'm back to being a bit deflated.  While they show up in a search, some of those movies - like Last Jedi - look like this:

That's just a nasty tease

In all fairness, that movie sucks anyway.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/12/19 12:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I'm a little disappointed that song of the south didn't make the cut

Pretty sure that one will stay burried due to being un-PC.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/12/19 12:30 p.m.

You know, the cable networks could've prevented this if they'd just let us pick and choose what channels we were able to pay for, instead of paying a bunch of money for 100 channels, 90 of which are junk. Not to mention all of the "packages" that forced you to do the same thing, just to get one or two channels that you liked for an extra $20-$50.

Netflix fixed that, in a sense. Super low price, but gave you a plethora of movies and shows that you get to pick and watch at any point in time.

Aaaaand now we're at the point where every major studio/channel is creating their own streaming service now that they saw how successful Netflix/Hulu/Amazon are/were. I foresee us getting in to the same issue this was supposed to fix in the first place. Pay $15/mo for one studio and get all their shows/movies, but then you gotta subscribe to another one to watch a certain show or movie because of a contract with the first studio, but that second subscription is otherwise pointless. Rinse and repeat.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/12/19 12:31 p.m.

We have Prime - between the shipping, The Grand Tour, and a few other TV shows/movies, I think it is worth it. For now. But it is also high on the list of things to drop if we need to tighten the belts. 

We also have Netflix. My parents pay for it - one subscription for 4 families, effectively. I think the only thing that I watch that is on Netflix and not prime is Stranger Things. If my parents are considering dropping it, I'll tell them that we're not getting the value out of it.

Disney actually looks really good though. My wife loves Disney, I love some of the vintage movies (Davy Crockett, Swiss Family Robinson) and Star Wars, not to mention the Simpsons... I am thinking about it. Maybe if they have a sale on like a 3 year subscription all at once. In any case, I think it is better than the other options, just because they own so many different companies.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/12/19 12:46 p.m.

There are too many streaming services!! Then again, I'm lucky to watch 1 TV show at a time, one episode every couple days, so I'm not exactly their target market. But I was curious and looked for how many there are. I found this: https://flixed.io/complete-list-streaming-services/ which says there are "20+" general TV streaming services and over 100 if you include sports, on demand/movie type things, whatever. It's starting to make the days of the high cable bills look good.

I am just about done with my infatuation with music streaming services. I've had so many instances of stuff disappearing that I had in my rotation and hiccups and skips that I'm starting to buy CDs again. Rip to MP3, actually store on local storage, and no worries about network connectivity or license negotiations between shadowy copyright empires. I'm not quite there with TV, but it might happen.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/12/19 12:48 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to T.J. :

Have you actually looked at the list of stuff they're streaming on Disney+ though? Especially when compared to Netflix? Because berkeley marvel, all the classic, well most of the classic, Disney vault stuff is available or will be soon, and it turns out, Disney owns fixing everything. 

I'm a big big fan of the Swiss family Robinson, treasure Island, Apple dumpling gang, all the old movies from the 60s that disappeared when I was a kid. Netflix originals suck to me, so it will be great making my kid see what I grew up with.

Definitely a nostalgia trip.

I can't say that I have really studied the catalog that they are offering, but Marvel movies don't interest me enough to switch streaming services and old Disney movies from my childhood I'm not sure I'd watch. I suppose I would enjoy watching them, but these days, I spend maybe 3-4 times the time watching YouTube than I do Netflix or Amazon.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fk4iwHCWkjK4YwrnB78VLmtfMnMDjFQfFES2p5gOPlkrtL0kiRmp87F2d7r3m29w