1 2
Mike
Mike Dork
10/29/15 12:48 p.m.

Maybe not news, but news to me: You can buy a brand new RC10 Worlds Car.

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC10WC/Worlds_Car/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/15 12:53 p.m.

Un-painted body or with the Brian Kinwald paint scheme?

Mike
Mike Dork
10/29/15 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Specs say clear. So, do your own thing. Hell, get some Lightspeed hot pink and boil your nylon parts.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/29/15 2:10 p.m.

That's pretty cool. I actually raced one of those 20 years ago, before I switched to a truck. I can still remember when the "Stealth" transmission came out.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/29/15 2:12 p.m.

I want it, but I think it should be priced to reflect the tooling depreciation

MattGent
MattGent Reader
10/29/15 2:13 p.m.

I had two of the aluminum chassis RC10s (with stealth tranny) which I just gave to a co-worker to play with his kids. One of them had the long-travel RPM suspension front and rear.

And there was some hot pink involved in the paintwork.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/29/15 2:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I want it, but I think it should be priced to reflect the tooling depreciation

Don't forget dollar depreciation driving the price back up.

I wonder if they are still made in the USA.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
10/29/15 2:49 p.m.

I'm kind of impressed that it's actually a kit- that was what saddened me the most when I looked into getting a R/C car a few years back was how everything was RTR. My favorite part of them as a kid was building them...

Would be a lot of fun to grab one and run it around the back yard to annoy the dog.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/15 2:53 p.m.

How soon till an RC10T re-pop?

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
10/29/15 2:57 p.m.

I quit racing RC cars cold turkey to go road race motorcycles, as it would be cheaper. A couple years later I brought the whole load to Mimi who ran the track, told her what I needed to make off it and she unloaded all of it.

I kept a Losi XX buggy, and suspect I'll buy a modern 2.5 gHz radio, brushless motor and LiPo batteries for it from someplace cheap like Hobby King. Buggies are great play cars.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/29/15 3:01 p.m.

I actually just pulled my rc10 and rockbuster out of moms attic.

It's been at least 15 years since they've even seen daylight.

I want to resurrect them so my daughter and I can play.

Mike
Mike Dork
10/29/15 3:08 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote: I'm kind of impressed that it's actually a *kit*- that was what saddened me the most when I looked into getting a R/C car a few years back was how everything was RTR. My favorite part of them as a kid was building them... Would be a lot of fun to grab one and run it around the back yard to annoy the dog.

Yes on both counts. I don't really miss driving them so much, but I miss building things. Also, my dog is fun to annoy with this sort of thing.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
10/29/15 3:25 p.m.

BTW - Anyone here ever do any carpet road course racing back in the day?

Anyone remember Masami Hirosaka?

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
10/29/15 3:27 p.m.

Whoa! It's a thing!

Classic RC!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/15 3:29 p.m.

I remember Masami being the only guy to still use a stick style transmitter when everyone else was using wheel controlers.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/29/15 3:43 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: How soon till an RC10T re-pop?

I still have both in a box in the garage, if they start making RC10T's again I might have to pull out the wallet. Preferably in Worlds with some TI upgrades.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/29/15 4:48 p.m.

The downside of an inner 10 year old with a 37 year old income.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/15 4:51 p.m.

Or me with a 36 year old's bills.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
10/29/15 6:38 p.m.

I had a friend with one. The rich kid. His dad built it for him. I wanted to work on it so bad. Got into dirt bikes when I realized they cost about the same to play with on the back 40.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/29/15 8:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The downside of an inner 10 year old with a 37 year old income.

Yup.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/29/15 8:40 p.m.

My teenage years right there

Mike
Mike Dork
10/29/15 9:06 p.m.

I just looked up the modern top of the line 1/10 2wd electric buggy. Man, that's funny looking to my old eyes. Here is the RC10B5M and RC10B5M Factory Lite:

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/29/15 9:07 p.m.

I've said it before, but you guys who are into vintage RC need to check out RC10talk.com. I post in the Kyosho section as "Returning_Jim"

Tamiyaclub is good too.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
10/29/15 9:17 p.m.

At some point I want another original RC-10. In 6th grade I saved up for an RC-10 and Magnum radio. My friends all bought Tamiyas but I can't do things the easy way. It ended up being a good lesson about racecars. Most of the pieces needed some massaging to fit right and being the base kit some of the parts like the mechanical speed controller and bronze bushings were meant to be thrown away altogether.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/29/15 9:27 p.m.

Oh man... That was all I did for a long time. First a Tamiya Hornet, then found racing, followed by a series of RC-10s (Aluminum tub, Hot Trick red fiberglass chassis/springboard, CF tub, wacky fiberglass chassis turned around to run mid-motor with the gearbox assembled backward and saddle batteries), an original Yokomo Dogfighter, a Yokomo C4 and then the Associated YZ10 version (Did Cliff Lett have some sort of Yamaha connection?), a locally produced front wheel drive and four wheel steer car called the Bullet which used an RC-10 transmission and a few other bits...

Ah, and the road cars! Anybody else ever have a Compositecraft Lynx? I think the RC-10L actually worked better, but that was later...

If I had time, I'd go R/C racing again. But I haven't even been to an autocross in too long...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LVfexWphhCgrk8GNvprd0gkcYZOciylFOY84pqjacUN3GXHMU8CCjzJTBDjU3U6M