stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/23/20 9:43 p.m.

I have never read the books but I did binge watch all 4 seasons about 6 months ago.

I watched the first 3 episodes of season 5 a few days ago and watched episode 4 tonight.

I don't think I've exclaimed "OH BERK!" as many times during the entire series as I did just watching episode 4.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
12/24/20 1:16 p.m.

The wife and I are waiting until season 5 is closer to being done so we can watch it all at once.  I love this show!  I think season 3 is some of the best writing ever done for a series.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
12/29/20 4:28 p.m.

Finally got around to watching S05E04- and that death is one heck of a change to the plot... I wonder if they're going to cut out the events where that death happened in the book. I hope not, that had one of my favorite tactical maneuvers in the books (Oh you're dodging our railgun rounds because we have to cut thrust to spin and aim the barrel at you? Would be a pity if you dodged right into a hail of bullets now, wouldn't it?)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/29/20 5:36 p.m.

I watched the first 4 episodes.  Lots of good stuff so far.  It would be nice just to be able to watch them all.  It sounds like there are going to be 10 in this season.

I have to say I am glad they have moved back to the system. I was worried the rest of the series would be about strange planets and green goo.

I do have to say, from a physics point of view, they need to have the special effects / visual effects talk to a physicist.  When some thing is in zero gravity (even with atmosphere) it's VERY difficult to keep it in one spot.  Once it starts moving, it does not stop until the energy is absorbed.  They had a shot of holes shot in a ship (very high energy) and the fragments from the hole where just hanging out around the hole like it was a freeze frame... argh.  They would have bounced around the inside for quite a while and lost a lot of energy, but would almost certainly still be moving, likely slowly, somewhere.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/29/20 7:38 p.m.

I'm somewhat confused on when new episodes are being released. I heard one each Wed., but then we got more than one, and now waiting again? Maybe not releasing any during a holiday? Im ready for more!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/29/20 10:13 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

They released 1-3 on Wednesday, Dec 16, #4 last week on the 23rd.  We should see #5 tomorrow (Dec 30).

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/29/20 10:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks. Me and calendars don't get along very well. I didn't catch 1-3 till 4 came out!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/29/20 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks. I watched 1 to 4 and because of how it ended, assumed the season was over. Would not have checked for more releases.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/30/20 7:04 a.m.

just watched.... it's getting interesting.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/30/20 8:50 a.m.

After watching the first three seasons, I listened to the audio books for the whole series during long drives and working in the garage. Mrs AAZCD only heard portions of one of the audio books. Whenever I try to explain to her how the books did part of the story differently or the series combined characters into a composite, she just tells me to shut up. They did a great job rewriting the story as a screenplay, keeping the plot and main characters intact while making it manageable to produce.

I'm really enjoying the present season, but what I really want is the final book - especially to see how the Amos story line plays out.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/30/20 9:17 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

Overall I think they've done a good job with adapting the books to the screen. Most of the changes I've been OK with (several characters who didn't show up until later appearing earlier- which is fine since they're several of my favorites). I'm curious to see how the changes this season work out, and even more how they apparently plan to write Alex completely out after the problems with his actor.

I don't expect we'll hear/see anything about more production beyond the announced 'final' 6th season until after the last book comes out (hopefully this next spring)... once they know exactly what they're working with they can figure out how to best handle the last few books. I think unfortunately condensing things down into movies would be tough with how much happens, but not necessarily impossible.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/30/20 9:40 a.m.

Huh.... didn't know that there would be more books. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/30/20 10:01 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Yup- "Leviathan Falls," the final book that will supposedly coming out in October (way too long to wait... was originally supposed to be released earlier I believe...) of 2021 according to Wikipedia. Will be the longest wait between books of all of the series, and about 50 pages shorter than the longest (Babylon's Ashes, the 6th book that presumably will be where the current TV series will end).

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/30/20 10:04 a.m.
bobzilla said:

One last book. At first it was planned for late 2020. Now it seems like mid 2021.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/30/20 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I'm interested because of Amos' .... "condition" following book 8.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/30/20 10:23 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, there are a lot of interesting things to be addressed in the final book, that definitely being one of them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/30/20 12:04 p.m.

No final book yet?  Interesting.  Well, I certainly hope they don't pull a Game of Thrones with this.  Of course with GOT, the writer clearly threw a lot of stuff in the books that he had no idea how to resolve, and apparently just kind of gave up.  The series solution / resolution clearly was a disappointment to say the least.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/30/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I don't think that's the case- the books initially came out about every year but have gotten a bit longer between them as they've progressed. I think that the final one was supposed to have been released already or in the near future but that things this year pushed it back a bit. I'm pretty confident that the writers have got this well in hand, they've done a solid job so far IMO.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/3/21 8:10 p.m.

Well, that explains how they get rid of Alex... kind of out of the blue, but also a callback to how -book spoiler- originally died. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/4/21 7:01 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Well, that explains how they get rid of Alex... kind of out of the blue, but also a callback to how -book spoiler- originally died. 

that was my original thought too.There's a lot of book stuff left and the story is the same basic story.... the divergence at this point is still acceptable. I'm looking forward to what they do next season. Do we get 2 more?

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
2/4/21 8:12 a.m.

I'm reading through the books, now watching it with the wife who has just done the TV series.  She asked me, wait that was Alex? I was confused as hell since I just finished the 7th book with him on the crew.  Didn't know about the actor being a DB.  

Seems like the physics have gotten better as the series go on, but damn are there still some irritating things.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/4/21 8:29 a.m.

In reply to GhiaMonster :

don't forget that even though there are lots of geeks like us, the show has to appeal to the stupid masses

I had never heard of the series, I saw the ads on Amazon. 

Hooked since the first episode. 

Tried like hell to get Kelly to watch it but between the broken Belter English and Chrisjens perfectly acceptable hacking of every swear word she just dismisses it. It's a shame, I think that she would love the characters once she got to know them.

Ashyukun (Robert)
2/4/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I think we'd actually need at least 3 more seasons (4 depending on how long and involved Leviathan Falls ends up being) to finish out the books. I wish they'd see it all the way through, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen unfortunately- and I honestly don't think trying to do it with movies would work either since each season is basically 4-5 movies on its own.

Yeah, killing off Alex at this point definitely changes things- but I think it's a good point at which to do so. Most of the next book is pretty fast-paced and high in tension IIRC (assuming they leave out the whole 'super yeast' subplot...) and it provides a good pressure-cooker for the new pilot to get incorporated into the crew- and the time jump after that should smooth over everything else. Alex's role in the later books is obviously important, but he's probably the easiest of the main crew to replace as all of the others have much more specialized roles to play that wouldn't make any sense trying to shoehorn in someone else.

Was quite pleased with how they finished out the final episode- it set things up perfectly for the next season.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/4/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Agreed. Left me hungry and anxious for them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3sKt7dsc7C6ERga47N4Hxu8fvSw1INCKG5wf3GXNqfiHrVkcggrIJ0RNUKqCZCmU