1 2 3 4 5
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/15/19 5:44 a.m.

As usual I'm late to the party. I just watched the first episode and was pretty impressed. Definitely be watching the rest.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/15/19 1:59 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to codrus:

Doh, I meant Ganymede, don't know why I thought Europa... brain was saying Jovian water moon used for primary food source. So in my mind that equates out to Europa, I guess Ganymede also has a saltwater ocean though. It's just the lesser known one.

Sci-Fi only appears to have ep 9 through 13 up on their site.

BSG... well BSG took a quick lets get finished path to finish in the original series. I don't feel like the remake was any better. As soon as they hit the theology discussion I pretty much knew where it was going and stopped watching.

Now if we want good writing in sci-fi lets talk about Babylon 5. That was a great show well mapped out with a purpose. Season 5 had it's flaws which showed in Straczynski's writing after PTEN dissolved.

And yes Detective Miller still has a role to play.

Babylon 5 was a really well done story, i need to watch it again now....

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/16/19 9:10 p.m.

I'm a bit behind most of you. 

Just finished S3, damn it was good.

Really excited to see how the machine  from Cibola Burn makes it's way on screen now. 

Books 4, 5, and 6 were better IMO than the first three so I'm glad the series is going to continue.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/18/19 10:54 a.m.

Binging S3 right now on my flight to San Diego.  So good.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
2/18/19 10:06 p.m.

I don't think I had heard of 'The Expanse' before seeing this thread. Wife and I just watched the first two episodes and loved it. Last month we ran thru 'Firefly' which I also first read about on a forum post here. GRM forum, great reading about cars, and so much more. Thanks.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/19/19 12:05 p.m.

It's good stuff. I'm hoping to get Book 4 (Cibola Burn) read before the next season hits. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/19/19 2:22 p.m.
AAZCD said:

I don't think I had heard of 'The Expanse' before seeing this thread. Wife and I just watched the first two episodes and loved it. Last month we ran thru 'Firefly' which I also first read about on a forum post here. GRM forum, great reading about cars, and so much more. Thanks.

Have you seen Serenity? Its the movie following Firefly

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/19/19 7:10 p.m.

I'll add some more thoughts to this. 

The potrayal of Amos is almost spot on how I imagined it. They let on quite a bit about his history that wasn't discussed until his Earth arc in the books, but the writing didn't shy away from showing that he's a sociopath that derives his sense of morality from those around him. 

That tied up neatly with his interaction with the pastor in the last few episodes. 

I'm really interested in how Nemesis Games makes it's way on screen because if there's anywhere a series can get lost it's delving into post apocalyptic scenarios. Luckily the story is is well mapped out at this point and Babylons Ashes brings a lot of sweet space action.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
2/19/19 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

What? A movie? How are people supposed to know about all this stuff if they don't find it on the GRM Forum? We are deep into season 1 of The Expanse now, so I'm going to have to queue that up before we start season 2. Thank You!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/19/19 8:09 p.m.
The0retical said:

I'll add some more thoughts to this. 

The potrayal of Amos is almost spot on how I imagined it. They let on quite a bit about his history that wasn't discussed until his Earth arc in the books, but the writing didn't shy away from showing that he's a sociopath that derives his sense of morality from those around him. 

That tied up neatly with his interaction with the pastor in the last few episodes. 

"You're not that person...."    moments later....  "I am that person..."

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/20/19 9:30 a.m.
AAZCD said:

In reply to Antihero :

What? A movie? How are people supposed to know about all this stuff if they don't find it on the GRM Forum? We are deep into season 1 of The Expanse now, so I'm going to have to queue that up before we start season 2. Thank You!

No problem, enjoy!

Theres a bunch of not so mainstream series that are great out there, The River comes to mind too, although its not strictly scifi

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/20/19 3:56 p.m.

Finished S3.  So so good. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't 2 seasons (war, ring)

Now I have to wait for S4 :(

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/19 4:45 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Finished S3.  So so good. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't 2 seasons (war, ring)

Now I have to wait for S4 :(

I'd need to read the books, but I wonder if the writers knew they may not get past season 3 and wanted to tie everything up as neatly as possible, thus condensing the war and ring stories into one season.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/4/19 7:55 p.m.

I felt the pacing was as it needed to be when translating the novel to TV. The war and ring concepts and character work would have dragged on too long on TV. 

They told the story at TV speed. I am maybe too excited about season 4. It may be too built up in my mind for reality to have a chance. But then season 3 crushed my expectations and left me excited.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/4/19 8:22 p.m.
T.J. said:

I think I watched the first couple episodes of season 1 and wasn't really drawn in, so just never went back and watched more. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I'm about halfway through season 3 now. Good show. 

FooBag
FooBag Reader
3/5/19 11:20 a.m.

I agree with the comments that they paced this quite well for TV, with the exception of the final season 3 episode.  To me, it felt very rushed, like they didn't quite have enough material to make into two episodes, so instead of making one with a bit extra length, they chopped it down.  Perhaps, I'm just nitpicking here, but it didn't quite meet my expectations.

If anyone needs more sci-fi, I'd recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix.  It's another great book adaptation that I'd highly recommend.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
3/5/19 12:32 p.m.
FooBag said:

I agree with the comments that they paced this quite well for TV, with the exception of the final season 3 episode.  To me, it felt very rushed, like they didn't quite have enough material to make into two episodes, so instead of making one with a bit extra length, they chopped it down.  Perhaps, I'm just nitpicking here, but it didn't quite meet my expectations.

If anyone needs more sci-fi, I'd recommend Altered Carbon on Netflix.  It's another great book adaptation that I'd highly recommend.

With the fair warning (or recommendation, depending on your tastes...) that Altered Carbon definitely earns its 'R' rating on pretty much every level, including no shortage of equal-opportunity full-frontal nudity, sex scenes, and of course lots of old-fashioned ultra-violence. In other words, don't watch it with small children or anyone prudish.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/5/19 12:33 p.m.
FooBag said:

Interesting.  I thought Altered Carbon was a turd by comparison.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/5/19 1:12 p.m.

Altered Carbon certainly got a LOT more interesting with THAT scene, and it did a good job of world-building, I just felt the main plot line was a bit dull. 

The interesting thing about The Expanse is that when a side story starts up, you get excited about how it will intersect with the main plotline, which is probably the most interesting. I love how there will be periods where the Ring, the Promolecule, Aliens, and other things are in the background and when they make a return it's usually in a pretty epic way. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/5/19 1:51 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
FooBag said:

Interesting.  I thought Altered Carbon was a turd by comparison.

Not as good as The Expanse but I wouldn't say a turd, it's a pretty decent series. Maybe not such a great book adaptation either, a few plot points got mangled in translation. But if you're looking for something like a live-action cyberpunk anime you won't be disappointed.

Ashyukun (Robert)
3/5/19 2:01 p.m.

Altered Carbon was a decent, pulpy Cyberpunk story but almost closer to fantasy than pure SciFi. The Expanse is almost as pure of SciFi as you can get- though the protomolecule falls into the 'magical science' category the rest of the show does a pretty good job of being as realistic as possible with regards to where humanity would be technologically without intervention and it's worth watching simply for that fact. The first time the line 'They're decelerating hard at us' was uttered I was almost cheering because I'd not seen a franchise get spacecraft physics so right before.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/5/19 2:02 p.m.
FooBag said:

In some ways, the whole 3rd season seemed a bit rushed, As if the writers knew the series might not get picked up for 4th season so they did their best to wrap up the various story lines as best they could.  Keeping in mind, the live-action filming happened months before the series was broadcast on SyFy due to the extensive post-production requirements, and probably quite awhile before it was confirmed Amazon would pick it up. 

I'll look into Altered Carbon.  I damn well need to get something for the money I'm paying every month for Netflix... 

Ashyukun (Robert)
3/5/19 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

You can do worse than Altered Carbon, that's for sure (I know, I watched The Cloverfield Paradox, The Titan and Io....).

I'm surprised we don't (and if we do, that I haven't seen it yet...) have a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu recommendations/discussion thread yet...

Antihero
Antihero Dork
3/5/19 2:31 p.m.

I liked the 3rd season a lot more than the previous seasons.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
3/5/19 2:36 p.m.

Altered Carbon suffered from a bit of re-writing- like the Envoys being rebels instead of tools of the larger power at hand. All of the bad parts of the series seemed to come from where they deviated from the book.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KXD2Amk7ZQHGLJPdTO2j44edrVfZVrWSFINEz8WleikAmnZdWsx0Fvg9Qlp4F2ol