5 6 7 8 9
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/16/20 3:56 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
bobzilla said:

I need the last 2 books....

Check your local library and see if you can get the actual book or electronically via Overdrive.  That's how I read the most recent one.

-Rob

Same here- our library has a limited number of electronic 'copies' that you can check out and read, which is what I did when I stupidly only checked out Nemesis Games to read over New Year's break, forgetting that I'd be able to blow through it in roughly a day and then have another couple of days at the cabin with nothing to read while the Dancer plodded through the books she brought.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/27/20 5:27 p.m.

So, id like to thank this thread for my new literary addiction. 

Tried the show and gave up after three episodes because I just couldn't follow it.  Three quarters of the way through the first book, and started the first episode again while folding laundry. Makes sense now.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/20 9:14 a.m.

Finished book 6 and the 4th season. Really looking forward to book 7(when I finally get it) and season 5

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/28/20 9:20 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, id like to thank this thread for my new literary addiction. 

Tried the show and gave up after three episodes because I just couldn't follow it.  Three quarters of the way through the first book, and started the first episode again while folding laundry. Makes sense now.

The show definitely takes a few episodes to get the grasp of what's going on. Like others, it took me a couple tries to get hooked. It's totally worth it.

I'm on season 4 now, a few episodes in. I'm taking a break until I finish out Babylon 5 (it's leaving Amazon this week so I need to finish that up) but I'm still liking what I see in the Amazon-produced season.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/28/20 2:48 p.m.

So now that the Expanse is on break for a few months. Anyone watching S2 of Altered Carbon on Netflix? It seems to have started off ok.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
2/28/20 2:51 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I'm planning to watch it- the Dancer has no interest in it though so have to watch it when she's at work. :P

BenB
BenB Reader
2/28/20 2:54 p.m.
The0retical said:

So now that the Expanse is on break for a few months. Anyone watching S2 of Altered Carbon on Netflix? It seems to have started off ok.

I wasn't too impressed with S1, but the teasers fro S2 looked interesting.

So far, Star Trek: Picard has been pretty disappointing, with the exception of the too-brief appearance of Seven of Nine. Can't wait for Westworld's new season next month!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/28/20 3:53 p.m.

Finished The Expanse a couple weeks back. Man, this is a GREAT show. Some of the best Sci-Fi I have ever seen.

Picard, on the other hand, has been hit or miss. I like it because it's got some old favorite characters on the show, but it doesn't feel like Trek. It feels like they are trying too hard to hook the crowd that likes gritty stuff like The Expanse (Rios's ship La Sirena is basically the Trek version of the Rocinante for crap's sake, complete with similar livery), and they have made some strange decisions on where they are going with the Trek canon to appease that crowd. Hopefully, it gets better. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/28/20 4:09 p.m.

Also finished the latest Expanse season recently and I've been watching ST: Picard, and I'm about to start Altered Carbon S2. Latest Expanse season was as good as any of the previous ones, Star Trek Picard has been entertaining so far although it often feels like it's trying too hard to check off nostalgia boxes, and it does feel more like The Expanse than Star Trek, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, if any of you aren't watching The Orville you're really missing out. Yes, it has silly Seth McFarlane comedy in it, but also top-notch sci-fi, and one of the greatest Star Wars homages of all time.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/28/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Omg I didn't know season 2 of Altered Carbon had come out. Dang there's too much tv to watch these days. I just can't keep up! Too many other things to do!!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
2/28/20 11:38 p.m.

Bloody hell. I've been browsing the forum and I could have gotten in an episode of Altered Carbon.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/29/20 5:26 p.m.

Im reading the books, and in season two of the ahow. Is it just me, or are they completely divergent at this point  already?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/10/20 7:13 p.m.

In case no one is paying attention, Season 5 will start airing on Dec 16th.  The show has gotten a lot less "sciencey" in the later seasons but still good fiction.

Season 6 has already been approved and might start shooting in January.

As a sad note Alex will not be in Season 6, he go Me Too'd.  I do like his character, so hopefully they can get a reasonable replacement.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/10/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Season 6 is also the last season they will do. sad

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/10/20 10:01 p.m.

For those who are familiar with the books, will that be enough to cover all the content? 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/10/20 11:30 p.m.
aircooled said:

For those who are familiar with the books, will that be enough to cover all the content? 

Not even close.

Generally speaking, the books are structured as duologies, with each pair of books telling two halves of one big story.  Leviathan Wakes (the first season and 3-4 episodes into season 2) and Caliban's War (the rest of season 2 and a couple episodes into season 3) are the story of finding the protomolecule and dealing with it in the solar system.  Abaddon's Gate and Cibola Burn are seasons 3-4 and cover what happens through the ring gate.  Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes go back into the solar system and discuss more related to what's going on with Earth, Mars and the OPA.  The last few minutes of the season 4 finale and the trailer for season 5 suggest that it's going to map onto Nemesis Games pretty closely.

There's a big break between books 1-6 and those that come after -- Persepolis Rising and Tiamat's Wrath jump forward by about 20 years.  Leviathan Falls comes out next year and is supposed to be the conclusion, I guess it'll break the duology structure.  My guess would be that the TV show will leave out some of the elements at the end of Nemesis Games that set up books 7-9 and just wrap it there.

I have read that they're not going to try to recast Alex, but will rewrite the story so that the plot-critical actions of his character are taken by someone else.  He doesn't have a huge part to play in books 5-6, the main plot elements center more around Naomi and Amos.

thedoc
thedoc HalfDork
12/11/20 4:35 a.m.

I have watched all of the tv show on amazon, and I am listening to Nemesis Games on audible.   I am so hooked on this, I will be sad when it's over.  I do not know how this latest season is going to cover the book.  Some of what they have done with the tv show has altered the books well, some has not.  It's like we are listening to two people tell their side of the same story.  I am not thrilled with the character of Marcos,  hopefully the last season will change my opinion.

I could not believe the guy that played Murtry in last season.  That guy was incredible.  He had the DNA of the character down.  He was a bad guy you always watched.  

I had my kids watch the scene where Amos stopped Mei's father from killing the scientist.  When Amos "saved" the scientist, then shot him saying, "I'm that guy",  I thought the writers just nailed it.

This shows that you can make good science fiction, but I guess if we all pay for and watch the crap that they put out, they will keep putting it out  I have been amazed at the number of sci fi geeks who have not watched or  read/listened to this.

Speaking of good sci fi, has any one seen "moon" with Sam Rockwell?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/20 5:17 a.m.

Read all the books, on my second read through. The book corresponding to the neeest season is my favorite. Amos on earth..... just an awesome story. 

wife hates it but I'm excited. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/11/20 12:59 p.m.

It sucks that they cannot cover all the content, but I guess we should be happy they got as much coverage as it did (as opposed to a singe movie for example).   It did seem to me (not having read the books) that the Amos story on Earth could be very interesting, he is a rather interesting character.

I also am suspicious the part (forgive my hazy recall) where Amos learns about the training(?) those scientists had that effectively made them sociopathic (lacking any empathy or common social morals) has a lot more to it.  He seemed very interested in it, but it was I think only mentioned one other time.  They were the scientists who where analyzing the effects of the protomolocule on the asteroid.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/15/20 12:13 p.m.

TOMORROW!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
12/15/20 12:41 p.m.
bobzilla said:

TOMORROW!

I'm really irritated that they're doing the "dribble them out once a week" model instead of everything at once.  I will probably wait til it's done to watch them, I hate artificial delays.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
12/15/20 1:17 p.m.
aircooled said:

As a sad note Alex will not be in Season 6, he go Me Too'd.  I do like his character, so hopefully they can get a reasonable replacement.

The way I read it, he got himself fired by being a hypocrite creep and possibly a criminal.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 1:54 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

TOMORROW!

I'm really irritated that they're doing the "dribble them out once a week" model instead of everything at once.  I will probably wait til it's done to watch them, I hate artificial delays.

I don't mind.  Watching the Mandolorian has reminded how much I don't mind getting somewhat excited for a new episode each week and then having some time to mentally digest the episode before the next installment. 

Either way, it'll be nice to have a sci fi fix after the Star Wars series ends for the year.  I'm a little bummed there is only one more season after this one, but I suppose I'm glad it was saved and lasted as long as it did.  I still need to buy the rest of the books. I only have 3 of them and not the first ones yet.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/15/20 2:11 p.m.

I somehow missed the show completely till this fall, and ended up binging it. So happy I only had to wait a month for season 5!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
12/15/20 2:34 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:
aircooled said:

The way I read it, he got himself fired by being a hypocrite creep and possibly a criminal.

It's sad that we're losing the character, but yes the described behaviour of the actor is inexcusable.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ISzRQeMZr5VtLGbtVyEREnyMqAW4SK04RVUjrfU9gfPd5FO2P4geZNbmsd5H93LB