1 2 3
fasted58
fasted58 Reader
4/18/11 8:14 p.m.

When all negotiations fail, cpl day old fish guts set in the neighbors car on a warm night will make 'em think twice about being a prick.

Also, there's some defoliant pellets that the railroads use that when thrown on their lawn before a rain will make it look like a desert in a few days.

I hate when negotiations fail, ugh.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
4/18/11 8:18 p.m.

have an HOA? this is that time when those evil associations can come in handy....

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/18/11 8:24 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I would look up the noise ordinance. What the officer said seems incorrect.

This. And not surprising. Never assume cops have a clue in hell what the law is.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/18/11 8:31 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJYWA7CxwQc

^^^^^This. Then ride around the block

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
4/18/11 10:07 p.m.

Gallon of gas on the lawn, leave it alone.

Big brown spot appears, owner waters lawn to fix brown spot.

Water spreads gas out further, brown spot gets larger.

Hilarity ensues.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
4/18/11 10:32 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCQJoYP5oZQ

Note the early morning time

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/18/11 10:52 p.m.

Those annoyatrons are great items. I've had a few (always expect to lose them), and they work great. I haven't messed with the new ones, but more sounds is good. Maybe you can at least get the alarms removed that way!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/18/11 11:51 p.m.

My GOD this is a frustrating/infuriating thread. I feel so bad for the OP. I hope there's SOMETHING that can be done to end it, although I agree w/ an earlier poster who said the guy is insane.

Ski mask + wetsuit + baseball bat???

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
4/19/11 6:32 a.m.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm assuming the police asked him to be rational as yesterday was reasonably quiet and we got an uninterrupted nights' sleep. Sadly, I don't expect it to last so when it starts up again I've got the camcorder charged and an excel file started to document the incidents. I'm such a rebel.

No HOAs around here, it's an older lower middle class neighborhood. They also own the place, they had it rented out when we first moved in but moved in themselves about a year later.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
4/22/11 11:43 a.m.

I'm glad to report that we have slept wonderfully so far since this incident. Which isn't to say doucheness doesn't still abound.

In the letter I gave him I mentioned I didn't like him keeping his trash bins on our property and I'd like them moved. Today a property survey crew shows up at his house. Hilariously the spots they marked show that we were in the right as far as I can tell.

Also, when my wife was bringing our trash can in the other night she let our dogs out. Then the neighbors let there's out for a minute. When they went to let their dogs in one of their kids says "But their dogs are still out." No surprise there, I've known for a good while they let their dogs out whenever we're outside. My wife thought I was crazy until now.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/22/11 1:12 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: I'm glad to report that we have slept wonderfully so far since this incident. Which isn't to say doucheness doesn't still abound. In the letter I gave him I mentioned I didn't like him keeping his trash bins on our property and I'd like them moved. Today a property survey crew shows up at his house. Hilariously the spots they marked show that we were in the right as far as I can tell. Also, when my wife was bringing our trash can in the other night she let our dogs out. Then the neighbors let there's out for a minute. When they went to let their dogs in one of their kids says "But their dogs are still out." No surprise there, I've known for a good while they let their dogs out whenever we're outside. My wife thought I was crazy until now.

Man, I'm so freaking sorry. The house across the street from us has been a MAGNET for these types. It's blue with red shutters. I think this has something to do with it.

I learned a valuable lesson from the last neighbors: Leave it the berkeley alone until there's a REALLY significant reason to call the cops.

Basically, my retired next door neighbor politely asked that their kid not dick around in his yard. He'd caught the kid doing weird stuff. Hiding behind bushes while they were leaving the house, etc.

This started a freaking war. The whole "DON'T YOU DAAARE TELL LITTLE CLETUS WHAT TO DO!!!" Cops were called every night for weeks. Bobby (next door) installed these freaking LED security lights all over the place that are brighter than the damned sun (I still REALLY need to politely ask him to take those down.) The kid would shoot at Bob's house with a bb gun every time he wasn't there. He started getting prank calls, etc., etc., etc.

We 'lucked out(?)' I guess. Being worthless pieces of E36 M3, the neighbors eventually bailed on the house. The new neighbors are almost as bad. We never even see the kids. I guess they just sit inside and play video games all day, yet the yard is freaking covered with kid's toys, broken down cars, etc. The dad goes out on his back porch every day for an hour or two and shoots guns. Lovely. They just got TWO dogs that they apparently have no intention of taking care of, as they just rome around the neighborhood. We feed their cat for them.

So yeah. Move, or be patient and wait for them to bail. To entertain yourself, you can always find ways to make their lives miserable. Just don't E36 M3 where you eat.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
4/22/11 1:49 p.m.

Do you think you could take him in a fight? If so, have at it.

(Why are people so afraid to solve things the old fashion way anymore?)

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/22/11 1:49 p.m.

How about a reveille every morning at 4:30 AM. If he complains, you can respond with, "What, don't you love your country?"

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/22/11 1:53 p.m.

It's hard to out-prick actual pricks. Once they start smashing windows and slashing tires you have to admit you're never going to be able to equal their assholishness.

Iron Balls McGinty
Iron Balls McGinty Dork
4/22/11 1:56 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Exactly. They'll always be willing to sink lower than you. Come to think of it, whoever is willing to sink the lowest is probably the actual bad neighbor.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
4/22/11 1:59 p.m.
Iron Balls McGinty wrote: In reply to tuna55: Exactly. They'll always be willing to sink lower than you. Come to think of it, whoever is willing to sink the lowest is probably the actual bad neighbor.

Which is why you should fight him.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/22/11 2:03 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
Iron Balls McGinty wrote: In reply to tuna55: Exactly. They'll always be willing to sink lower than you. Come to think of it, whoever is willing to sink the lowest is probably the actual bad neighbor.
Which is why you should fight him.

So you punch him, knock him out. He waked up and now it's on. All of your tires are slashed, your windows broken with rocks, your lawn torn apart by his car in the middle of the night. Worse yet, he's smart and gets his buddies to do it while he has a fantastic alibi. In the end you'll fear for the safety of your family and you'll lose.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
4/22/11 2:53 p.m.

My neighbour hates my guts. Absolutely loathes my very existence. I purpose to always be polite, wave when I see him, and greet with a friendly smile and a "Good day" and such. Boy it pisses him off.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/22/11 2:54 p.m.

why?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
4/22/11 6:29 p.m.

SkinnyG has it right. If a neighbor detests you but you are unfailingly polite to him and he can't piss you off it will drive him NUTS. Why? Who knows? Some people are just like that.

I've had neighbors who started off douchey but once I fixed something for them they decided I wasn't such a bad guy after all. Lets me get away with a lot of fab work etc. Still, I want a house on at least an acre, preferably more. That way I don't have to be so close to my neighbors that I get all misanthropic.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
4/22/11 7:32 p.m.

Wow, I don't know how you guys stand it. My neighbours on both sides are older retired folks, both of the old guys are friendly as heck and often shovel my walk for me. Across the street are some kinda loud n' trashy types, but they're okay. The 20-something son is a bad-ass partier who used to have the cops drop in on him regularly... but he also grabbed two little brats who were throwing rocks at my car and marched them up to my house to apologize. I can't complain.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/22/11 8:37 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Wow, I don't know how you guys stand it. My neighbours on both sides are older retired folks, both of the old guys are friendly as heck and often shovel my walk for me. Across the street are some kinda loud n' trashy types, but they're okay. The 20-something son is a bad-ass partier who used to have the cops drop in on him regularly... but he also grabbed two little brats who were throwing rocks at my car and marched them up to my house to apologize. I can't complain.

Wow - all the guys treat the hot yoga girl well. shocking.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/22/11 9:10 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Do you think you could take him in a fight? If so, have at it. (Why are people so afraid to solve things the old fashion way anymore?)

Well, `round here, you both go to jail (lotza privatized prisons here, more prisoners, more money for the locality). If you can't do it the old fashioned way in the South anymore, it's gone forever..

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
4/22/11 9:27 p.m.

2 1/2 years ago my wife and I built a house in the middle of 5 acres of woods. My nearest neighbours are 350 feet away. They are old and cant hear themselves fart. They are also my parents so they are to blame for my own eccentricities. I aint bragging or nothin.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
4/22/11 9:33 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Do you think you could take him in a fight? If so, have at it. (Why are people so afraid to solve things the old fashion way anymore?)

This is hands down the worst advice I have ever read in a public forum. The obvious physical dangers, The legal repercussions, Opening oneself to future retribution and lawsuits.

What do you expect him to do? Walk over and slap the guy with a glove? Dueling pistols at dawn or a pugilistic bout.

I once saw a guy reccomend mounting a 7" table saw blade on a HF 4" angle grinder to cut down a tree. That is a close second to this.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
uFg5wpJfsf0oaCigbIKvuvcwUyED2kLT3a8KGy571UQwlEeo7sYJcTMd4k0JebOm