1 2 3 4 5
Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/19 3:24 p.m.
llysgennad said:

In reply to Curtis :

Are you sure you like that genre? Maybe you've been misinformed.

Yup.  I love the folkier side of things.  CSNY, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Nick Drake, early Chicago, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Steppenwolf, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Traffic, Wilburys, ELO, ELP, America, Gordon Lightfoot, early Elton, Police, early Genesis, Blind Faith, Joplin (Janis, not Scott), Zeppelin, Billy Squier, Boston, Rush, Styx.... I think I just included all the ones you don't like 

And thought of a couple more I can't stand:

ANYTHING with Clapton.  That guy makes me want to crawl into a hole and suck my thumb in the fetal position until it stops
BTO... it sounds like Schlitz malt liquor and disappointment

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/19 3:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

RUSH, it's not that I hate them, I just think they are massively overrated.  They have the most obsessively rabid fans who believe they are the greatest thing ever.

Oh, and to the OP Curtis.  Pink Floyd and the Who!  You are dead to me. Duke, ditto you for Queen.

Uh oh... I've offended the Anglophile.  I do like Bowie and Deep Purple.  Go british folk!

Image result for austin powers gif

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/19 3:37 p.m.
ultraclyde said:
slowbird said:

I can't listen to most of the new bands they play on the alternative rock station here. What's that one, the one that sounds like a ripoff of Led Zeppelin? Can't stand them. The Black Keys, not a fan of them at all. All those bands that sound like folksy hippie musicians from the 60s but with modern instruments? Ugh.

But I freely admit that I have terrible taste in music, so don't get too mad at me. cheeky

Yeah also any country music made after the year 2005 or so is pretty bad imo. I grew up listening to country, so I like the stuff from the 90s a lot, but around the mid-2000s it dropped off sharply quality-wise.

Wait, you're honestly telling me Alan Jackson's later stuff was significantly different than FLGA Line's level of quality.   Mmmmkay.....

Way down yonder on the Chattahoochee....It gets hotter than a hoochie Coochie....

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/23/19 3:46 p.m.

The blanket "anything after this year" statement is only accurate if you only get your music from FM radio. That's for any genre. There is still good country music being made but you're not hearing Tyler Childers or Brent Cobb on the radio. Chris Stapleton only gets air time with his version of a George Jones song.

Basically, you have to be a hipster to find good country music these days. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
8/23/19 3:55 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

RUSH, it's not that I hate them, I just think they are massively overrated.  They have the most obsessively rabid fans who believe they are the greatest thing ever.

Oh, and to the OP Curtis.  Pink Floyd and the Who!  You are dead to me. Duke, ditto you for Queen.

Hi! I'm here to tell you that Rush is the greatest thing ever!!!

And I'm not rabid. I was just tested. cheeky

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
8/23/19 3:55 p.m.
Curtis said:

Pink Floyd.  If I wanted to hear boring, slow, songs all on 2 chords, I'll listen to a homeless guy mumbling on heroin

Is that what we're going to do today? We're gonna fight? laugh

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/23/19 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Nice! Hey, didn't say they were good, I just said the 90s pop country wasnt any BETTER!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 5:22 p.m.
slowbird said:

Yeah also any country music made after the year 2005 or so is pretty bad imo.

It's not a time / era thing with country music, it's an attitude thing.  There always have been and still are thousands of disposable "stars" singing disposable country music written for minimal "talent".

But there always have been AND STILL ARE dozens of genuine, fantastic country musicians writing genuine, fantastic country music, too.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 5:26 p.m.
Curtis said:

ANYTHING with Clapton.  That guy makes me want to crawl into a hole and suck my thumb in the fetal position until it stops

Thank you.   I really dislike Clapton and I really really dislike the whole "Clapton is God" shtick.  Clapton is only barely tolerable when he's trying to imitate some other guitar player.  And his solo stuff is pap from start to finish.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
8/23/19 5:30 p.m.

Mumford and Sons. All the hip kids went nuts for that stuff when I was in college.

I never thought they were that good.

Duke
Duke MegaDork

I think someone probably also mentioned it, but I think U2 are the most overrated band since The Beatles, and that is saying something, since I think the Fab Four are the most overrated boy band in western civilization.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork

Michael Franti AND/OR Spearhead.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/23/19 5:31 p.m.

Somebody said Chicago? Terry Kath?  Best guitar player quoted by Hendrix?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 5:31 p.m.
TenToeTurbo said:

Michael Franti AND/OR Spearhead.

I've never heard of either of those artists.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II are phenomenal, fantastic albums.  After that, and particularly after Kath's untimely death, Chicago fell into the cesspool of selling tons of records by making sappy "Adult Favorites".

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/23/19 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

In reply to Daylan C :

I mean, yeah...you're both right. But I never was much good at finding music for myself that isn't being surfaced by the mainstream music machine.

Also, I have a strong belief that most people prefer what they grew up with, to some extent. So the new stuff could be *good* and I'd still hate it, because it's not MY stuff. At least, that's my excuse for why I like weird bad 90s Fords more than I like the new Mustang. laugh

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 5:38 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Look up Sturgill Simpson if you like Country music, and look up Wayne Hancock if you like Western music.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/23/19 5:56 p.m.

Agreed: Clapton berkeleyING_SUCKS. I guess he just got some “He’s not bad at repetitive paint-by-number pentatonic blues licks...for a white guy” cred back in the day, and it just spiraled out of berkeleying control.

Genre specific, but Drake. It’s not just that he’s berkeleying horrible, it’s the fact that in that genre where whatever hot “style” is copied unabashedly, he spawned an entire genre and sub-genres with people emulating the turds created. 

See also: Skynard. Without Skynard, there would be no Kid Rock...or a million other idiots saying “*I* could do THAT!” ...and the world would be a better place.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/23/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

He even makes country nirvana good

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/19 6:21 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Somebody said Chicago? Terry Kath?  Best guitar player quoted by Hendrix?

The version of "25 or 6 to 4" they did at this same concert, was amazing. One of my favorite performances of any rock song ever. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/23/19 6:26 p.m.
Duke said:
Curtis said:

Thank you.   I really dislike Clapton and I really really dislike the whole "Clapton is God" shtick.  Clapton is only barely tolerable when he's trying to imitate some other guitar player.  And his solo stuff is pap from start to finish.

The “Clapton is God” thing is funny, as the success, and constant aural assault that was “Layla 2.0” sealed the deal that there either god does not exist, or just takes great pleasure in my misery.

You know the difference between a baby and a bag of coke, right?

Clapton would never throw a bag of coke out the window.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/23/19 6:32 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to slowbird :

Look up Sturgill Simpson if you like Country music, and look up Wayne Hancock if you like Western music.

Actually; Sturgil Simpson is the one name I'd throw down here. I love classic country and the new Americana movement, but I just cant stand Sturgil.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
8/23/19 7:14 p.m.

lots of hate here........

I listen to old blues , old reggae , old Waylon , Willie and the boys , old rolling stones , 80s new wave  and Kpop girls bands !

Jack FM and KLOS.....

I will walk out on Rap music  and probably headache Heavy Metal music......

don't worry , be Happy :)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/23/19 7:40 p.m.

The Beatles.  I know, I know.  "They're a culture icon" etc.  I'm supposed to like them, but I don't.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/23/19 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

i hate Rush and the Eagles.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
8/23/19 7:51 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

The Beatles.  I know, I know.  "They're a culture icon" etc.  I'm supposed to like them, but I don't.

I know a guy who’s a huge Beatles fan, refers to Paul Mcartney as one of the great bass players of all time.

Don’t get it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahYksAzSsokrRKcYCPyhV7xHU8UAnrESE2W02t1izY1O4uxoEkIYl9UP4Rs3oyaC