1 2 3
curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/10/11 9:49 a.m.

Austin is blessed with some really good BBQ. I'll tell you the truth, I'm not actually the biggest fan of texas style BBQ but I'm learning what I like and what's good.

http://www.bonedaddys.com/. They have three things going for them:

1- the girls are like hooters girls, but they wear less and actually look good.
2- my buddy did a replumb of the kitchen and he said that every night the whole kitchen gets pressure washed with bleach water. He also said that they keep the smoke pit fire going all the time; overnight even, instead of firing it up each morning. Imagine the seasoning in there.
3- they have "the flying pig" which is a sandwich of pulled pork, a slab of ham, a link of sausage, and bacon. Its pretty berkeleying good.

http://rudys.com/ Lots of personality, incredible meat, good prices, and creamed corn that will make your nipples hard.

http://saltlickbbq.com/ I really like Salt Lick but I have to be careful not to overdo it. It has won best BBQ in the US something like 20 years in a row

integraguy
integraguy Dork
4/10/11 12:21 p.m.

I'm not a fan of BBQ, but that "flying pig" sounds like it would be worth making a detour for if I ever got back to central Texas.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/10/11 12:51 p.m.

I grew up here in rural east tennessee(probably an oxymoron) and the only bbq place that I recall served a NC type pork. Went to undergraduate school in Memphis and had a total cultural awakening. I did get quite upset the first time that I ordered a pork sandwich at a quaint place off campus and it came with cold slaw on it. That is an acquired taste but I got used to it. I do prefer ribs nowadays and will stop at any Houston's Restaurant to sample their stuff. Except for when we were near the Shell House, we always looked for good local bbq places when we traveled for club racing.
Funny thing is the NC bbq place has reopened near my house and I dont like its product.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
4/10/11 8:36 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: http://saltlickbbq.com/ I really like Salt Lick but I have to be careful not to overdo it. It has won best BBQ in the US something like 20 years in a row

The Salt Lick had some of the worst BBQ I've ever tasted. The 5 others in my party agreed. Something about the sauce was just too McDonald's honey mustard for me. I think they've long ago taken to riding the hype.

In Austin, The Green Mesquite was a personal favorite. Outside of Austin, Louie Mueller's remains some of the best I've had, their beef rib was amazing, if a little peppery.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
4/10/11 9:21 p.m.

I think the Salt Lick's sauce is very polarizing. I think its wonderful, but BBQ purists tend to hate it just for the sake of hating it. Its like putting a chevy engine in a Mustang - they don't care if its fast, just that its not the "right" way to do it.

I'm just impressed that a TX BBQ has made such a following by breaking the rules. Texans are militant about BBQ down here.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
4/10/11 10:54 p.m.

Tops in Memphis is the best, looks like code violation waiting to happen but as it was already said that is where you find the best BBQ. Molasses and vinegar sauces suck, tomato based is better. Memphis style is usually light on the sauce with lots of dry rubs. For some reason putting slaw on dogs or pulled pork is being called Carolina style, I grew up in North MS close to Memphis and you get slaw on everything there.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
4/10/11 11:32 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I think the Salt Lick's sauce is very polarizing. I think its wonderful, but BBQ purists tend to hate it just for the sake of hating it. Its like putting a chevy engine in a Mustang - they don't care if its fast, just that its not the "right" way to do it. I'm just impressed that a TX BBQ has made such a following by breaking the rules. Texans are militant about BBQ down here.

Yeah, if the Chevy engine is a 305.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
liKbKKPetJSRUNjkNXBqH2MXdTnL4HKZySHAsthNQctet6zq4tAzjOXSSHccNWM1