1 2
confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/10/08 3:54 p.m.

Actually, I think someone in my immediate family knows Ashley (the driver of the Miata). I'll find out tonight.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/10/08 3:56 p.m.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine's neighbor. '81 Celica rolled into the lake behind their house. It was completely submerged for three or four hours. My friend bought it from them cheap, let it dry, changed all the fluids and drove the crap out of it. After letting it dry out the only thing that didn't work was the radio.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/10/08 4:37 p.m.

We had a Skylark in the shop at the Buick dealer, had to pull the motor. Since we were waiting on parts, the tech bolted the whole front end together sorta sloppy so we could push it outside.

The big rear door to the shop had a concrete ramp maybe 30 feet long with a 7 percent grade, we all pushed the car to the top and let it roll. The lot porter was in the car... we weren't THAT dumb.

Of course, he went for the brake pedal, and since the calipers had been removed and then just stuck back on, the pedal went all the way to the floor. The guy didn't have the presence of mind to grab the emergency brake so the car rolled into the side of the body shop at a pretty good clip.

The frame machine was in the first stall on the other side ofthe wall and there was a guy setting up a car. The body shop manager said the guy must have levitated over the machine, there was no other way he could have gotten out of the way that fast.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/10/08 5:33 p.m.

I was also impressed by how small a mess the car made of the pool. That was a clean Miata going in, and even cleaner coming out :)

A coworker owned a Miata that had spent 3 days underwater after some sort of Texan flood. It had little electrical problems constantly, with odd parts failing much too early - even a couple of years after the swim. It was a beautiful car, but it never really recovered from being a fish.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago New Reader
7/11/08 2:35 a.m.

at least the top was up

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/11/08 7:14 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: Same thing happened to a friend of mine's neighbor. '81 Celica rolled into the lake behind their house. It was completely submerged for three or four hours. My friend bought it from them cheap, let it dry, changed all the fluids and drove the crap out of it. After letting it dry out the only thing that didn't work was the radio.

That reminds me of the Top Gear where Clarkson tried to kill a Toyota 4x4 by leaving it on the beach and letting the tide come in. Then they drove the damn thing away after blowing the salt water out.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/11/08 8:12 a.m.
Jensenman wrote:
16vCorey wrote: Same thing happened to a friend of mine's neighbor. '81 Celica rolled into the lake behind their house. It was completely submerged for three or four hours. My friend bought it from them cheap, let it dry, changed all the fluids and drove the crap out of it. After letting it dry out the only thing that didn't work was the radio.
That reminds me of the Top Gear where Clarkson tried to kill a Toyota 4x4 by leaving it on the beach and letting the tide come in. Then they drove the damn thing away after blowing the salt water out.

I just said the exact same thing at the end of page 1.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/11/08 8:12 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: at least the top was up

Yeah, but you know those things leak! I'll bet there was water all over the seats when they brought it up.

dyintorace
dyintorace Reader
7/11/08 9:30 a.m.
Nomad wrote: I'd buy it the next day. Did you notice there was no oil leaks? Everything is freshly cleaned too. First thing I would have done after the shock wore off and I stopped laughing, was get an underwater camera from wallyworld and take some cool "driving" shots. I mean, how many times would you be able to get pics like that? Hood up, wrenches in hand, confused look on face "why won't it start?"

Best post ever.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
7/12/08 9:46 p.m.

At least it was one of the ones with that awful trunk mounted luggage rack. Those were always a deal breaker for me when I was looking for a used Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PK0kEzH6tPPLasjL1RxFlocE25nhdTiNQAcmAp4EnCn8CSdKBoUki4IyQhMRInej