mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
12/2/14 12:45 p.m.

Thread from 2014:

So I rented to a nut case, that part was partially my own fault, I can take that on board, did a very slight background check based on the person having a particularly good job for a long time. They move in, lose/quit the job for unknown reasons, and stop paying rent. No real damage to the house, a broken window and some trash left behind. Ten days after I get the judgment I can execute on it, I got it on 11/20, but I heard they had a truck and moved out already from other tenants on the street. I go by the next morning (12/1), and the deadbolt locks have been removed from all the doors and there is still a lot of stuff. She also made a few nice improvements to the house!? I replaced the deadbolts and went back to work. I text the tenant and let them know I secured the property and if they want stuff out we need to schedule a time, otherwise I am presuming its abandoned. She sets up a time and basically gets her stuff while I watch from my car in the street later at night. I found it odd about the locks. Why remove them? I assume she replaced mine with her own so I couldn't get in if I had tried, but then why not just leave hers? I guess this is a common thing for deadbeat types. Oh well, on the the next line up of candidates. Crazy thing is, there was a domestic disturbance at the house involving the tenant chasing her boyfriend down the sidewalk in her car about a month ago. She was arrested and the car was impounded and later sold as she never redeemed. That Uhaul truck was her sole method of conveyance. I will miss the opportunity to observe the full implosion of a life but at least they aren't in my property anymore.

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
12/2/14 12:49 p.m.

She wants/wanted to disappear. There's likely more going on then you know or want to know.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
12/2/14 12:52 p.m.

I've never had one of those. I hope I never do. What a PITA.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/2/14 2:28 p.m.

They take the locks so they can swap them in at the new place they con someone into letting them rent, and they'll be the only ones with keys...

I feel your pain though. Management companies are expensive because they're worth it and they usually deal with this kind of thing on the regular. (that being said:) If it's a single unit, just wait/more thoroughly vet the potential tenants. It's a pain but worth it!

itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
12/3/14 8:06 a.m.

As annoying as your situation was you got off very easy. Consider yourself lucky. My parents had an eviction that took 8 months and the house required 30k in repairs.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
12/3/14 8:06 a.m.

As annoying as your situation was you got off very easy. Consider yourself lucky. My parents had an eviction that took 8 months and the house required 30k in repairs.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/3/14 8:23 a.m.

Doesn't rental property insurance cover large damages?

What kind of background checks are legal? It sounds as though the OPs tenant was down on her luck, made a bad choice in character with her ex, and was going on some hard times.

I've heard rental property owners who complain when a tenant is around too long,as the tenant tends to make the house their own. On the flip side, I've heard property owners complain when a tenant leaves after a year, even if the place is in great condition.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
12/3/14 8:44 a.m.

My last tenants left after a year, I only complained because they left after a year, would have loved them to stay for many years.

Actually, the evicted tenant was a professional rent thief and I kind of let myself get conned. She introduced her boyfriend as her brother when she looked at the property and loved it, I waived the background check because of her job (federal) which she had for some time. I waived the background check when she moved in but I did do one. She had been evicted a few times before, 2 failed chapter 13's, a foreclosure, and who knows what else. Her brother was not her brother, had an extensive criminal history in the distant past and an active warrant for a second DWI. I moved to evict as soon as legally possible for breaches other than non-payment of rent, but that was the major breach after the first month was up. She wasn't down on her luck, I think she may have planned to do some real damage to the property or my life in general had I not acted quickly.

"Dwelling/Fire" policies, the kind that cover the owner's interest int he property, cover property damage. Luckily there isn't any real damage, nothing a good cleaning won't solve. I'm usually a good judge of character and I missed this one.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/3/14 8:48 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: I'm usually a good judge of character and I missed this one.

What'd she do, wear a low cut top???

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
12/3/14 9:04 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

leggings

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/3/14 9:05 a.m.

I'd probably be duped by a Federal Employee as well. Typically you expect folks who land those types of jobs to already have background checks done on them.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/3/14 9:36 a.m.
PHeller wrote: I'd probably be duped by a Federal Employee as well. Typically you expect folks who land those types of jobs to already have background checks done on them.

They would have, but "She had been evicted a few times before, 2 failed chapter 13's, a foreclosure, and who knows what else." would not raise any flags to an employer. No criminal record there, no reason not to hire someone.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/3/14 9:38 a.m.

Also, I find it kind of amazing how trusting, and untrusting some landlords are. My current landlord didn't do a background check on my fiance, and I am not even on the lease. He might not have done it with her because she showed up to look at it with her parents and is a 25 year old right out of college and the parents were interviewing the landlord pretty good, as well as calling the police and asking for a crime report on the area. But I asked him if he wanted me to sign the lease when I moved in, he told me not to worry about it . When we resigned, I wasn't around (at work), and again, no need to sign. I was astounded. Of course, I do the guys yard work from time to time and give him my IPA's when they somehow end up in my fridge, but still...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/3/14 9:43 a.m.

What kind of background check would reveal if someone has been evicted or not? Would a potential landlord need to call all previous landlords or are there services that dig that type of stuff up?

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/3/14 10:19 a.m.
PHeller wrote: What kind of background check would reveal if someone has been evicted or not? Would a potential landlord need to call all previous landlords or are there services that dig that type of stuff up?

AFAIK it's not illegal to ask for prior-tenancy references, a credit check, or ask for bank balances and proof of employment, and deny rental based upon it

first google hit

a. A landlord denies you a rental because of your credit history or a tenant screening history report

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives you the right to receive written notice when you are turned down for a rental based on consumer report information. The FCRA also gives you the right to receive a copy of the report and dispute inaccurate information. To dispute an error, you may submit information and a statement outlining your reasons for the dispute. After you file a dispute, the consumer reporting agency must conduct an investigation and delete erroneous information.

In addition:

1. Residential and Tenant Reports

A number of companies prepare reports for landlords concerning individuals who have applied to rent housing.

LexisNexis Screening Solutions Resident History Report contains information related to your tenant history as well as other information regarding your background. Call toll-free (877) 448-5732 or visit https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/index.jsp to obtain a copy of your report. Experian RentBureau receives rental payment data from its national network of property management companies. This data is accessed by resident screening companies for use during the application process for prospective residents. Consumers may order their Rental History Report by using the form at http://www.experian.com/assets/rentbureau/brochures/request_form.pdf or by calling (877) 704-4519. CoreLogic Safe Rent may have criminal and/or landlord-tenant records as well as rental performance history. Consumers may obtain a copy of their consumer file by calling (800) 815-8664.

Tenant Data provides the rental industry with a variety of reports including rental performance history, bad check reports, and criminal history reports. Consumers may order their free report by completing the form at http://www.tenantdata.com/downloads/AuthorizationforFileDisclos_new.pdf or by calling (800) 228-1837. Contemporary Information Corp. (CIC) provides property management software that provides landlords with the ability to screen applicants and apply their information to easy to use leasing forms. Consumers may order their free report by filling out the online form at http://www.cicreports.com/consumer-disputes/ or by calling (800) 288-4757 and selecting Option 5. Consumers may have a particularly difficult time exercising their right to a free specialty report when the “specialty” market is saturated with agencies. This may prove to be the case for tenants who want to check their file. If you learn you will be subject to a tenant screen, you may save yourself a lot of time and trouble by simply asking the landlord the name and contact information for the screening company.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
12/3/14 8:30 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: leggings

Thank god no.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/4/14 7:34 a.m.
PHeller wrote: What kind of background check would reveal if someone has been evicted or not? Would a potential landlord need to call all previous landlords or are there services that dig that type of stuff up?

It can show up in court procedings, especially if they go after back rent.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
12/4/14 11:05 a.m.
mtn wrote:
PHeller wrote: I'd probably be duped by a Federal Employee as well. Typically you expect folks who land those types of jobs to already have background checks done on them.
They would have, but "She had been evicted a few times before, 2 failed chapter 13's, a foreclosure, and who knows what else." would not raise any flags to an employer. No criminal record there, no reason not to hire someone.

Depends on the federal job. If it involves a security clearance any of the above can be construed as a reason to call the clearance into question as you are now a liability.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/8/18 3:08 p.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
11/8/18 3:11 p.m.

You are lucky. D.C. won't let the U.S. Marshalls evict the closer it gets to Christmas and after that it has to be above a certain temperature which is usually after February.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/9/18 8:07 a.m.

That's about the best eviction ever - check back every few days to make sure there's no rotting meat or fish!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/9/18 8:16 a.m.

Interesting threadsurection.

I haven't had any issues with the two places I have here.  I did rent out my old place in the UK for a few years before selling it (bad move in hind site)  The last guy I rented to in the UK started acting weird, but as I was out of the country it was hard to deal with.  I was investigating eviction when he paid up then vanished.  I found out later he'd been sent down for GBH.  I was lucky, I had no issues, no damage and got paid through the end of the contract.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
11/9/18 8:28 a.m.

My dad had a good friend who owned a lot of apartment buildings.  He said he always asked for the prospective tenant to also show proof of car insurance. 

The ones with no car insurance or the lowest legal deductibles were the ones to screen out no matter how good they looked on paper elsewhere.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzVhonrOCRZC30QlsH4GSTUXbpMT6CuSA73Vp8DVNxf0DH86TM4Sln1gx5iyixvP