1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/16 4:44 p.m.

This one caught my eye while doing some late-night surfing. It should be here shortly. Price with shipping was less than $40.

My daily watch is a Seiko 5. There is something about them that I just dig.

johnnie
johnnie New Reader
3/30/16 4:52 p.m.

I'm digging the tie stripes on the dial! The 7S26 movement is a workhorse. They'll keep running until they wear themselves out.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/30/16 4:56 p.m.

My current daily is a cheap digital Casio. It's nice that it is as food safe as I can find. I wish it was easy to find a "nice" digital that isn't a huge armored gaudy thing.

I've also been wanting a Waltham, ideally circa 1910's. Both my G-grandfather and GG-uncle worked there at that point.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/30/16 5:38 p.m.

There is this cool thread... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/mechanical-watch-build/111455/page1/

I'm working on converting my Seiko into Mechanical. I think I know what I want to do, but plan A is to see if a Seiko movement comes up for it. 4L25 or 4L75

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/30/16 5:47 p.m.

Someone suggested welder by u boat to me a while back when i asked about invictas. The welders are damn nice looking.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/30/16 5:56 p.m.

All of mine are Quartz or digital; if I splurge, the next will be an automatic.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/30/16 8:26 p.m.

I have a collection of Citizen Eco-Drive watches, couple Seikos, and I have recently discovered Skagen. Yesh, it's a weakness of mine.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/30/16 8:29 p.m.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/30/16 8:34 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Who'S the leader of the club?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/30/16 8:43 p.m.

I'm still wearing the same Rolex I've been wearing for almost 35 years.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
3/30/16 9:01 p.m.

I love the Casio F-91w. Best watch $10 can buy.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/30/16 10:18 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I'm still wearing the same Rolex I've been wearing for almost 35 years.

Same here but for about 10 years. Though I like my pink datejust more then the sport stuff now. Though my dream is a Patek WorldTimer in platinum.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/30/16 10:31 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the basic stainless Rolex Explorers. Like the really simple dial faces.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/30/16 10:44 p.m.

I've been in a watch mood lately too.

My old standby was always this timex:

But something different would be nice that doesn't cost a ton of money.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/30/16 10:47 p.m.

That watch won't appeal to anyone. It only has one face, and I could tell what time it was.

Needs more hands, more faces and a few lightning bolts around the edges. Plus, it didn't look like it was 3 inches across the face.

Maybe I don't like new watches.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
3/30/16 10:47 p.m.

My daily (non-work) watch has been a Bertucci A2-T for the last couple years. Solid Ti case and no pins for the band makes it basically indestructible. I tend to smack my watches on all kinds of stuff so the raised bezel is a lifesaver for me.

Only reason I don't wear it at work is that it doesn't quite fit the office dress code.

Mines the khaki band one: http://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/highpolish.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/30/16 10:49 p.m.

Optimus Prime watch. Yes, it still transforms.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/30/16 10:56 p.m.

My new (to me) one just showed up after a two week stay in customs.

Yes I take crappy pictures.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/30/16 10:59 p.m.

Your office has a dress code for watches? Yeesh.

I have been eyeing something like this:

Or this Seiko:

bluej
bluej UltraDork
3/30/16 11:00 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago:

What sorta office do you work in that that doesn't fit??

bluej
bluej UltraDork
3/30/16 11:07 p.m.

I've always wanted a Hamilton. I decided to look into it as a wedding watch. I ended up throwing out a semi low ball bid on this one and happened to win it. It's not quite as nice a shape as expected/represented. Haven't decided where to go from here yet..

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
3/30/16 11:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: This one caught my eye while doing some late-night surfing. It should be here shortly. Price with shipping was less than $40. My daily watch is a Seiko 5. There is something about them that I just dig.

I didn't realize they were that inexpensive...interesting.

I'm more a fan of microbrands, though the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Chronograph quartz is my favorite. Second favorite is the Magrette Dual time auto, and tied for third is Lum-Tec M48 and the Bulova Snorkle II. I would give them all up for a Damasko DA37 though...quality over quantity.

BTD
BTD New Reader
3/31/16 8:30 a.m.

I'm a watch collector on a (very) tight budget. As much as I would love to own a $1k+ watch I just can't justify it with all my other hobbies. I work in finance so having a classy looking watch is still a big deal IMO. With that said, here's where I wound up:

From left to right:

Timex Expedition T499619J ($40), Citizen AO9000-06B ($150), Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E ($300), Casio MDV106-1A ($40), Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry ($?????? - inherited, it's an older model)

So, for less than $500 all in I have watches for everything from a t-shirt and shorts to a formal black tie dinner. The diver is rated to 200m, the calculators on the nighthawk work great (if I was a pilot), and they all keep great time with minimal upkeep. Works for me!

Modern mass production is an amazing thing from a price/quality standpoint.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/31/16 8:44 a.m.

Hey, I have that same Swiss Army--or at least a Swiss Army model that's really, really similar. Nice collection.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/31/16 9:01 a.m.

I have a few Seikos of various grades for "Sunday wear", and a couple Fossils in stainless for DD wear. But the most precise watch I have is my 25 year old Wenger Standard Issue; it gains maybe 10 seconds every six months.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HZVnews8Zz7MnBo0rE2JC3aWSZq4fYftiRzsytwikL0yo4ZggMMStAVCvjsFoVck