kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/13/14 7:45 p.m.

Well, sort of. http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/tech/innovation/navy-laser-weapon/index.html

Cliffs: US Navy begins operational use of laser weapons. BTW - thread title may be read either in the voice of the Emperor or Dr. Doofenschmirtz

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/13/14 7:55 p.m.

I don't see where that is any more effective than a 50 cal. At the 46 second mark, they show a several tubes blow off the top of the orange boat, but the plywood dummy doesn't even twitch, neither did the arch the tubs were fastened to. On the other hand a dozen rounds from a 50 would have sunk it.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/13/14 8:00 p.m.

I want them to talk about Rail Gun

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/13/14 8:00 p.m.

Oh, and that almost has to be the Emperor. If it was Dr. Doofenschmirtz it would have been the Death Star-inator!!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/13/14 8:06 p.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/13/14 8:55 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I don't see where that is any more effective than a 50 cal. At the 46 second mark, they show a several tubes blow off the top of the orange boat, but the plywood dummy doesn't even twitch, neither did the arch the tubs were fastened to. On the other hand a dozen rounds from a 50 would have sunk it.

Clearly we're still a few years away from vaporizing Alderaan.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
12/13/14 9:03 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: If it was Dr. Doofenschmirtz it would have been the Death Star-inator!!!!

Saying that in his voice has me weak right now.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/13/14 9:43 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Well, sort of. http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/tech/innovation/navy-laser-weapon/index.html Cliffs: US Navy begins operational use of laser weapons. BTW - thread title may be read either in the voice of the Emperor or Dr. Doofenschmirtz

I actually got Dr weird from athf. Gentlemen.......

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
12/14/14 11:07 a.m.

Have to start somewhere. Curious to see how much power is required to fire it, how rapidly it can be fired, and how many times before it needs to "cool down" or the power supply can no longer keep up.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
12/14/14 12:41 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I don't see where that is any more effective than a 50 cal. At the 46 second mark, they show a several tubes blow off the top of the orange boat, but the plywood dummy doesn't even twitch, neither did the arch the tubs were fastened to. On the other hand a dozen rounds from a 50 would have sunk it.

Behold the awesome lethality of the Allan Parsons Project!

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe Reader
12/14/14 3:25 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0jISzs3u7CjIhvo84QituKkUeLG4rXP8seaTRaEeqWJIhGJ8rizvK44uRxyEJi3j