2 3 4 5
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/15/22 8:31 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Consider too the proximity, and the fact that they had the entire Nirvana collection to reflect upon when putting the album together. 

johndej
johndej Dork
5/15/22 10:52 p.m.

Probably not absolutely top best albums but honorable mentions that scream 90s and haven't been brought up.

(What's the story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair

Dookie - Green Day

Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
5/16/22 7:54 p.m.

Pearl Jam - Ten

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/16/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

No kidding?  You were a sound engineer on "Let Me Clear My Throat"?  How cool.  

Here's a version that I always thought was cool.  I've never seen these guys but this version is great.  Performed in Cincinnati but it seems to me that this should be a "standard" for all Brass Bands of New Orleans.  

Sort the reverse of "sampling."  Take a song made of samples and perform it live!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxNBN2KcJc

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
5/16/22 8:50 p.m.

I'm gonna go with Metallica's black album.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/16/22 10:59 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Came here to post Jagged Little Pill. Saw Alanis twice in concert, once in college and later after I'd graduated. Her voice, her guitar work- there was literally nothing else like her. Folks either loved her or hated her- put me squarely in the first camp. I even thought she was kinda cute. 

I also liked Liz Phair.

Jacob Dylan's wallflowers first album was a good listen, too. Not a bad song on it.

The Borrowers were a criminally under rated band that came and went quickly. Their debut albumn "Borrowers" hit in 1996, and was a commercial flop, and they disappeared soon after. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/17/22 12:21 a.m.

Why has there been no Radiohead mentioned?  OK Computer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/19/22 12:28 a.m.

Is it me or did the first half of the '90s produce more memorable albums than the second half? (See also: Squirrel Nut Zippers yet TMGB's Factory Showroom did come out in 1996.)

David S. Wallens
5/19/22 1:03 a.m.

And just thinking about some bands that I have been into for a long, long time:

Death Angel: on hiatus 1991-2001.

Rush: on hiatus 1997-2001.

Living Colour: on hiatus  1995-2000.

Dead Milkmen: on hiatus 1995-2008.

Iron Maiden: Blaze Bayley 1994-1999.

Judas Priest: Ripper Owens 1996-2003.

Metallica: Load and Reload.

The Ramones: final show in 1996.

Nirvana: April 5, 1994.

Maybe it's me, but I don't remember going to a ton of shows during the late '90s other than local gigs (and TMBG). 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/19/22 1:59 a.m.

If you asked me in the 90's: Metallica, Black

If you ask me now: Tom Waits: Bone Machine

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/22 7:50 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Exquisite Dead Guy was awesome live, with the floating doll heads above the blacked out stage.

We were at one of the versions of Battle For The Planet Of The Apes that made it onto Severe Tire Damage (still the best live album name ever).

David S. Wallens
5/19/22 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Awesome. I can't remember if I saw that live. Maybe? I have seen Avatars of They live. Also saw TMBG back when it was just a two-piece–like, when they'd work the merch table before and after the show.

Dial-A-Song: Free when you call from work. 

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
5/19/22 11:59 a.m.

Thinking of some of the stuff I still listen to: 

Beck - Odelay

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Air - Moon Safari

Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry 

Chemical Brothers - Surrender

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Phish - Billy Breathes

So many good albums came out of the '90s 

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
5/19/22 2:09 p.m.

Given the competition I don't know that I could call them best of the 90's but  these two were both stand outs that I still revisit from time to time.

Cracker - Kerosene Hat

Sponge - Wax Estatic 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/19/22 5:06 p.m.

Stuff that has been mentioned- 

Metallica- black album. 

Dr. Dre- tha chronic. 

Offspring- smash (which I will forever remember as the best selling independent album in history, at least until Macklemore came along)

​​​​​Stuff I haven't seen-

Bone thugs n harmony- e. 1999 eternal. You know you tried to keep up with first of tha month and couldn't. 

Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle. As good as tha chronic was, murder was the case? (both versions) Lodi dodi? Gin n juice? It's still in my rotation. 

notorious b.i.g. life after death. Hypnotize is probably the best intro in hip hop. That first bar and you know what's coming. 

NOFX- punk in drublic- linoleum has been covered so many times, nofx actually covered it themselves in response 

mighty mighty bosstones- let's face it- you heard ska because of this album, and probably found an entire new genre as a result. 

​​​

pennywise- any of their first five albums. Unknown road is the one I tend to gravitate towards, but man they were good back then, and 1999s land of the free spawned "berkeley authority" the only song known as well as bro hymn. 

David S. Wallens
5/19/22 5:15 p.m.

Oh, yeah, forgot about Punk in Drublic. Killer album from start to finish. 

Possibly my favorite track, and Kim Shattuck owned it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/19/22 5:35 p.m.

I was born in '82, but my real formative years were the 90's. I was fed Classic Rock and Hair Metal at a very steady pace as a child, but I came into my own later on with a lot of stuff during the 90's. When I think of the big 90's albums, I think about what I was listening to while skateboarding/raising hell with my friends as a teen. One friend had a CD boombox that we brought EVERYWHERE and that thing was always blasting out greatness. Some of my favorites at the time:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Carcass - Heartwork
NOFX - Punk In Drublic (David's right, Lori Meyers RIPS!!! And also RIP Kim Shattuck)
The Offspring - Smash
Face To Face - Big Choice
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Foo Fighters - Self Titled
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Fluf - Home Improvements (I would be surprised if anyone other than me remembers these guys, but that album rules)
Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go
Prong - Cleansing
Deftones - Adrenaline

And there were so many more. I think we discovered many of the above bands from the old Transworld Skateboarding sampler CD's they would send to subscribers once a year. Getting one of those in the mail triggered an immediate group skate session to evaluate the bands on the CD so we could go to the mall that weekend and buy a few CD's each. We would then pass them around the group so we could copy them to tapes. 

Looking back, I still listen to all of those albums regularly. They all rule. I have my current favorites that I've discovered later on in life, but that's for another post! 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
5/19/22 5:42 p.m.

I remember Fluff. Really good band. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/19/22 7:26 p.m.

I have been streaming Fear Factory's "Remanufacture" album.

I could name a few Marilyn Manson albums, too, when they were loopy semi-industrial and not whiny neo-*patio*

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/19/22 8:09 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Seriously a great band. 

This whole album is great, front to back. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
5/19/22 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I'll second Bone Thugs n Harmony. When I went to college I heard it for the first time from a dorm neighbor from Texas. My mind was blown!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/19/22 9:00 p.m.

how could I forget White Zombie? The Astro-Creep 2000 album hooked me from the very beginning, the way Electric Head Pt. 1 starts was mind blowing and is still good.

The Supersexy Swingin' Sounds remix album was even better.  I wore out the tape.

Also, Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole rocked.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
5/19/22 9:27 p.m.

Jesus & Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/19/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

And don't forget La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One! Thunder Kiss '65 was a MONSTER hit back then! Great album. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/19/22 11:38 p.m.
Pushrod said:

Jesus & Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

Honey's Dead is a decent album, but nothing compared to Darklands which came out in 1987!  Hm, I guess that was the other thread where we were discussing best year for releases. :)

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KiSAgHUWqGx729PyHTCw7HnnkI94Yl0dowgOkmxEFZTjleLRQcSV5RvwFWlzy76y